SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2021, 11:16 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

They found a vaccine for the original virus.
I don't see why they can't for the new one, if it is needed.
They have head start in developing one, now.

Look on the bright side.
Pharmaceutical companies will make even *bigger* profits! :thumright:
Psst! Buy their shares. ;)

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines can be relatively quickly reprogrammed to recognize the new variation, I believe. That’s the beauty to the technology.

But once ready there is still a time lag to getting the update to a wide enough population. A lot can happen in the minimum of 6 months it takes to reach everyone who wants it.

I love how easily updatable these new vaccines are. Whenever I hear friends and family wring their hands about the boosters, I just shrug and internally compare them to patches/DLC they add to software after the initial release.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
It would help if you could refresh me on what you mean by GoF, since there are multiple possibilities.

Gain of function.

BINGO! 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:42 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
The Wuhan lab created a very effective bioweapon.

Jawhol!
Mengele would be proud. 8)

Fauci already is proud and making money hand over fist based on his Pfizer investments , i would think . And No where have i read we have stopped funding the Wuhan Lab ... One might think that would make news .????? 8O

When the hell are they going to sack that mutha?! :evil:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:45 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Look on the bright side.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines can be relatively quickly reprogrammed to recognize the new variation, I believe. That’s the beauty to the technology.

But once ready there is still a time lag to getting the update to a wide enough population. A lot can happen in the minimum of 6 months it takes to reach everyone who wants it.

I love how easily updatable these new vaccines are. Whenever I hear friends and family wring their hands about the boosters, I just shrug and internally compare them to patches/DLC they add to software after the initial release.

Interesting you should use a computer analogy.
Some believe Bill Gates has put nano technology in the vaccines. :mrgreen:

That makes you a suspect collaborator, btw. :evil:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 12:40 am

Quote:
New B.1.1.529 coronavirus variant named Omicron by World Health Organisation - as Europe records first case of the strain

Europe has recorded its first case of the new coronavirus variant that emerged in southern Africa, which the World Health Organisation has now named Omicron, prompting a flight ban.

Bryant Hevesi
Digital Reporter

November 27, 2021

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 12:43 am

Quote:
South Africa officials fear 'knee-jerk' flight bans over Omicron strain will further cripple its economy and tourism sector

South African government officials have accused countries such as the United Kingdom, the US and parts of Europe for their "draconian" reaction to the new coronavirus strain despite themselves battling a fourth wave.

David Wu
Digital Reporter

November 27, 2021

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/s ... erallPos=4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 1:40 am

Booster shots will need to be tweaked to cover this new variant. In the meantime our premier is likely to lock us up again if just one case enters Australia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 2:10 am

Right now a lot of us are reacting in different degrees of panic because of the memories of 2020. In my case I am drawing analogies to February when the original version was thought to be out there far away with isolated cases “here” when in truth the original COVID was already circulating. The original mitigation was travel bans also and that did not work out so well. Yet it is not 2020. We have vaccines but we have no idea how effective they will be or if they will be effective at all against Omicron. While indications are it is the most transmissible variant yet we do not know how often it will result in severe COVID.

Despite the above caveats those of us who are not of the COVID is fake or overhyped way of thinking do not want to be Trump 2.0 and be dismissive and slow to react to a “calamity”.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 6:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Booster shots will need to be tweaked to cover this new variant. In the meantime our premier is likely to lock us up again if just one case enters Australia.

I am desperately trying to arrange having a schnitzel with a friend before the *new* virus comes to Australia.
The last time we went out was the week that delta hit.
How many months was that, now? :scratch:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 7:02 am

Omicron sounds ominous

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 9:55 am

Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
f**k another one...?

Yip. We'll be going round in circles until we spew. It's making me question whether I should get a booster when my time comes and I'm asked.

When the pandemic first started we were all told that the vaccines will get us out of the woods (in the UK at least). Fast forward two years and even fully vaccinated people here can be treated like utter s**t by their communities for daring to step out of line.

Granted this new strain seems to have come about from a lack of vaccination in South Africa.....but my confidence in the vaccine is starting to rapidly plummet.

Look on the bright side.

They can but it's always going to be an endless game of catch-up for decades. I'm still baffled as to why people honestly think they can kick this virus to the curb. It never will be kicked to the curb and everyone needs to learn to live with and most importantly, expect it to claim family members and friends eventually.

I for one got vaccinated in good faith only to still be told "were not out of the woods yet" about 50 times. Not only that but I also never envisioned fully vaccinated people still being called health liabilities. I say health liabilities, it's usually fully vaccinated people being called a w****r, c**t, a****le, p***k, d******d or murderer by their own community for having the audacity to take their masks off for a sense of normality in their lives.

If this is what I have to look forward to boosters or not, then I don't see any point in getting further vaccines including the booster for this new strain.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 10:17 am

Nades wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
f**k another one...?

Yip. We'll be going round in circles until we spew. It's making me question whether I should get a booster when my time comes and I'm asked.

When the pandemic first started we were all told that the vaccines will get us out of the woods (in the UK at least). Fast forward two years and even fully vaccinated people here can be treated like utter s**t by their communities for daring to step out of line.

Granted this new strain seems to have come about from a lack of vaccination in South Africa.....but my confidence in the vaccine is starting to rapidly plummet.

Look on the bright side.

They can but it's always going to be an endless game of catch-up for decades. I'm still baffled as to why people honestly think they can kick this virus to the curb. It never will be kicked to the curb and everyone needs to learn to live with and most importantly, expect it to claim family members and friends eventually.

I for one got vaccinated in good faith only to still be told "were not out of the woods yet" about 50 times. Not only that but I also never envisioned fully vaccinated people still being called health liabilities. I say health liabilities, it's usually fully vaccinated people being called a w****r, c**t, a****le, p***k, d******d or murderer by their own community for having the audacity to take their masks off for a sense of normality in their lives.

If this is what I have to look forward to boosters or not, then I don't see any point in getting further vaccines including the booster for this new strain.

Conspiracy theorizing and online misinformation gets blamed for vaccine hesitancy and those factors have a lot to do with it. Inconsistent messaging by public health officials from the get go IMHO probably also has a lot to do with it. In this day and age this is interpreted as nefarious conspiracies to control the population. There are other possible explanations. As a new virus early beliefs are often proven incorrect. These public health officials are often reluctant to say “We do not no know what is going on you are on your own” for a number of reasons. It could be they believe that public could not handle that. In an era where we expect to go online and get instant solutions they may be right. Or it might be fear their bosses might say “You can’t figure it out, I am going to hire somebody who can”.

Even if you are correct and we will be forever trying to catch up and it is going to kill us eventually if a vaccine can prevent or mitigate COVID until the next variant makes that vaccine worthless the extra time gained is worth it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 10:28 am

Could we destroy the virus with radiation like we do with cancer?

Austria and Germany have made vaccines mandatory for all citizens. I recommend all other countries do the same.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Could we destroy the virus with radiation like we do with cancer?
Not without killing the patient in the process. The viruses are usually well spread in the body.
The point of curing diseases is not just to kill the pathogens but to do it without harming the ill person more than the pathogens do.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Nov 2021, 10:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As a new virus early beliefs are often proven incorrect. These public health officials are often reluctant to say “We do not no know what is going on you are on your own” for a number of reasons. It could be they believe that public could not handle that. In an era where we expect to go online and get instant solutions they may be right. Or it might be fear their bosses might say “You can’t figure it out, I am going to hire somebody who can”.

Basically this.
The virus was new and scientists knew very little about it - but even when the scientists did admit they didn't know, the officials pretended to know for sure and then sometimes turned out completely wrong.
Errorbars are not common knowledge among lay people, including lawmakers, journalists and spokespeople.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Nov 2021, 11:08 am

Omicron already in UK. Two cases detected so far.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59445388