Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 1:00 am

Amazon destroying millions of items of unsold stock in one of its UK warehouses each year, ITV News, Jun 21, 2021:

Also:

What Retailers Like Amazon Do With Unsold Inventory, CNBC, Dec 14, 2019:

Why do they destroy this stuff, I wonder? Why such extreme wastefulness? I thought getting rid of unsold stuff was what discount stores were for?

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2021, 1:57 am

I've heard of that before, it's madness. It's bad for climate and environment and it's an insane waste of our limited resources.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

traven
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:13 am

not only that but it destroys businesses and work/employment and taxes to be had

but increases bank-involvement and bank profits

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:35 am

I mean that sh*t is disgusting, like you know what would perhaps at least mitigate poverty? If they didn't just waste and destroy perfectly good items that could go to people in need. Seriously, that is just such a disgusting display of 'oh we have money, we can do whatever we want' well I say they ought to be ashamed.

But for sure amazon is not the only company that does crap like this. Even grocery stores throw out perfectly good food if it doesn't get sold on time or they have too much overstock.

Another reason why I wish we lived in the star trek universe I don't think starfleet would approve of such a disgusting waste of resources.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:43 am

Also idk why not give some of the extra inventory to the workers. Can you imagine working at a place that does not give you an income to afford half the things you sell and then you have to destroy a bunch of stuff you'd actually like to have but no your job is to destroy it.

Like seriously hell is real and it exists here on earth and dare I say Capitalism is the devil, well I guess so since I literally just typed it. Also, that video is like the anti-chistmas, Bezo is a grinch for sure might explain his alien like appearance.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Nov 2021, 6:33 am

I've heard about Amazon doing this a while ago & have been hearing about grocery stores & other businesses doing it. I completely agree with you Sweetleaf :wtg: This has the be the ultimate slap in the face for their poor workers. This also does not seem profitable from a business perspective. The companies could sell the products at a very reduced cost. Or give their workers a certain amount of those products & tell them it's their bonus. Or they could give the products to some charity & make a giant show of it to the public for a PR stunt. I took General Business in high-school & that was the only class I was ever at very top of(only other class I ever even got As in was PE) & I majorly dislike capitalism & this is a perfect example of why. This is only sustainable for those businesses long-term because the system is majorly rigged in their favor & they have more rights & freedoms than their individual customers & workers do. It would be quite possible for a company to treat it's employees & customers fairly & treat the environment with some respect while still making a decent profit if they had a level playing field.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 26 Nov 2021, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 6:40 am

Same thing happens with food. Millions of tons of Food. That's 21st century western civilization for ya!

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 6:46 am

Ironically I'm actually currently listening to The Plasmatics album, "Maggots, The Record" since before I had just read this thread tittle.

Quote:
Maggots: The Record was recorded in 1987 and is a concept album set 25 years in the future, where environmental abuse and the burning of fossil fuels have created a greenhouse effect, leading to an end of the world scenario.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggots:_The_Record

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 8:13 am

Late stage capitalism in action. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 8:28 am

It does make me wonder how much of that stuff is genuinely defective and how much is down to the buyer not being able to make it work.

A few free laptops/PC's with minor faults would be a rather nice project for someone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 8:07 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also idk why not give some of the extra inventory to the workers. Can you imagine working at a place that does not give you an income to afford half the things you sell and then you have to destroy a bunch of stuff you'd actually like to have but no your job is to destroy it.

Like seriously hell is real and it exists here on earth and dare I say Capitalism is the devil, well I guess so since I literally just typed it. Also, that video is like the anti-chistmas, Bezo is a grinch for sure might explain his alien like appearance.

When I worked at a care home loads of perfectly good food and drink that didn't get served went to waste, but none of us workers were allowed to have any. There was a big notice on the wall saying something about workers must not help themselves to any left over food. I understand that the residents must get first priority of the food but I'm talking about all the food that is left over that will literally get thrown out at the end of the day. Seems so wasteful when there are hungry and thirsty hardworking people, but I think the reason they didn't want us to eat the left over food was because it meant we were having free food. The company the care home was ran by was very stingy and didn't care about their staff, so they prefer their profits to go into the trash rather than be offered to hardworking staff. Doesn't really make sense, does it?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 8:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

When I worked at a care home loads of perfectly good food and drink that didn't get served went to waste, but none of us workers were allowed to have any. There was a big notice on the wall saying something about workers must not help themselves to any left over food. I understand that the residents must get first priority of the food but I'm talking about all the food that is left over that will literally get thrown out at the end of the day. Seems so wasteful when there are hungry and thirsty hardworking people, but I think the reason they didn't want us to eat the left over food was because it meant we were having free food. The company the care home was ran by was very stingy and didn't care about their staff, so they prefer their profits to go into the trash rather than be offered to hardworking staff. Doesn't really make sense, does it?
My former supervisor at my 2nd job had very briefly worked at Mc.Donald's a long time ago & he got fired for bringing fries home when he was told to throw them out at the end of the night.
I heard a news story a few years ago about how someone got fired from WalMart because they were told to throw some empty soda cans away & the person instead brought the cans home to recycle. When management confronted him he quickly voluntarily gave em the 5 cents he woulda got for each can but he was still fired. That shoulda been nothing more than a verbal warning but they rathered fire him than even write him up.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm

2 months on, is there any evidence that Boris kept his word?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 9:02 pm

Most of you guys probably already know this but I'll mention it just incase someone doesn't who uses Amazon. Amazon does have something called Amazon Smiles where they donate half of a percent of your purchase amount to a charity/non-profit that you select from their site. There are some environmental organizations on their list. My girlfriend has one of em selected but I forget which one. They had some autism 1s as well a few years ago when I skimmed through but I don't remember which 1s. The purchases have to be made through the Amazon Smiles site which is the same Amazon site but has Smiles in the address as well, https://smile.amazon.com/ Or you can use their app on your mobile device but I don't use their app so I'm not sure how that works but Amazon says Smiles works on it. Half of a percent is nothing to Amazon & they would not feel any difference at all if they would donate a whole percent.

If you have an Amazon credit card, you might be able to donate your reward points to an environmental group or other non-profit thing but I'm not sure. My Amazon credit card got canceled a couple years ago(I ran up a lot of debt) & I always chose to spend my points on their site.