Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 10:14 am

had been going through a rough patch....and so went to Vet support services . Off campus.
not a clinic but more specialty . for certain types of trauma . And was very reserved and the fellow intaking me seemed to wear abit much jewelry .. And i let him talk, and he started asking leading questions about my state of mind . And i was reserved next thing i know , he talking about " "Fakers" people whom threaten to be suicidal , but have not attempted it . He Then acts very relieve that i must not be one of those . So he tells me of a man they turned away from emergency care, who was purported to be one of those . Whom he gave taxi fare back to his mothers house .
Who stopped the cab ride at a fwy onramp walked up the onramp and into traffic , and expired .
This is the current general state of the VA mental healthcare .

( In Honor of Black Friday .)

where ever you go ,there you are

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Nov 2021, 10:18 am

I'm sorry.
A similar story to the told one happened to my cousin :( He came himself to a mental hospital, they turned him back, a few days later he did it :(

Can we be of any help to you?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 10:53 am

Thank you Magz ,, you most kind offer is much appreciated and am extremely glad for this pllace and people like yourself but this was over a month ago .. i learned of this discontinuity of the Veterans Mental health system .. Just wish i had some famous congressmans ear to be able to hear these events. And MH care workers might take their job seriously .Especially during the Covid situation. Realise they are probably overwelmed . But it is in their job description .
This nation already had a crises with their vets before covid. Then add the holiday season . :roll:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Nov 2021, 11:49 am

Sorry to hear it :(
Covid is digging up pre-existing issues of healthcare systems all over the world. In America, it's apparently never been very good for non-rich people.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:54 am

I remember you saying and I thought that you meant you had seen the vet (In the UK a vet is someone who treats animals).
It can be difficult when the ones who one is supposed to see assume things and don't listen. Thankfully my experience so far with the autism service in my area and my doctors surgery is that they listen and do not assume. This makes a huge difference. Such a difference that it is like living in a different world.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:20 pm

I hope you are feeling at least somewhat better, now. And maybe, for next time, see if you can find a different source for support...that guy sounds iffy.

P.S. Thank you for your service! :salut:

P.P.S. Like Mountain Goat, at first I thought you were talking about veterinary services. But, who knows, it did have something to do with a dog tag! :roll:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

Actually.. Uhmm. I will start another thread. Hang on.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 5:23 pm

Mental Health services are sadly lacking and so very strained across the world, I’m sure.

Hope you’re coping as best you can, dear Jakki. X

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Nov 2021, 5:51 pm

I had a mental breakdown at 20 partly due to my 1st relationship falling apart & my life circumstances. I fell into a bad psychotic depression & ended up slashing my upper arm 9x & went to the ER because it was after doc office hours. I felt like I was watching myself do it instead of being an active participant. I saw my GP the next day who prescribed me an antidepressant, antipsychotic, & a mood stabilizer. His 1st guess was that I had bipolar depression but he said it could also be psychotic depression or depression with schizophrenia. He referred me to a privote psychiatrist that had a couple month waiting list & my health insurance would not cover mental so that meant paying the full cost myself or my parents paying before I got on SSI. He suggested that I'd go to the parish(Louisiana word for county) health clinic. I went there the next day & they rejected me because I was not an immediate threat to myself or others. I had some psychotic fantasies about harming others but I had never acted on them or attempted suicide ever. The free or mostly free health care system was just too overbooked & majorly underfunded. The people with power want the poor people to kill themselves or end up in prison for the rest of their lives because they want to waste the taxpayers money by being too lazy to go to work :roll:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 7:05 pm

Jakki, my husband spends time on some vet forums he says are supportive. As in, will stay on the forum with someone who is contemplating suicide until the crisis is passed. They provide the kind of help to each other only another vet can bring. This might be a resource for you.

I know from his experiences that getting health care through the VA is horrible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 7:49 pm

I visited someone in a VA hospital once. It seemed more like a prison than a hospital. It was a weird experience.

Most of our Presidents have been military veterans; they probably should have done better for veterans.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 9:34 pm

Thank you all.... everyone has been very kind and thoughtful ....Been making efforts to ground myself dince that experience but with only limited success that experience threw a monkey wrench into my idea of getting MH help . Did try a number of private Therapists , every single one .
told they were either full up or fid not take in person appointments
But mask requirements here are no longer a issue but i would be using a mask anyhow . But these people want control over you over a video screen . how Very compassionate.
But No Worries have distractions that help . So am semi grounded .

Dear Blazing Star thank you for that advise , a pm of some of these groups might be very handy .
But am not sure too many people , might be able to figure , how a cptsd aspie might relate .
But am interested to see . Would it be okay to pm you Blazingstar?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 4:38 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Jakki, my husband spends time on some vet forums he says are supportive. As in, will stay on the forum with someone who is contemplating suicide until the crisis is passed. They provide the kind of help to each other only another vet can bring. This might be a resource for you.

I know from his experiences that getting health care through the VA is horrible.
I think it varies from facility to facility. My Dad is very happy with the VA hospital where he gets all of his medical care.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 5:31 pm

Jakki wrote:

Dear Blazing Star thank you for that advise , a pm of some of these groups might be very handy .
But am not sure too many people , might be able to figure , how a cptsd aspie might relate .
But am interested to see . Would it be okay to pm you Blazingstar?

Of course you can. Anytime. :heart:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2021, 1:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I visited someone in a VA hospital once. It seemed more like a prison than a hospital. It was a weird experience.

Most of our Presidents have been military veterans; they probably should have done better for veterans.
& us Aspies are thought to lack empathy :roll: Ordering people to kill each other & then not wanting to provide them with the essential care they need afterwards if they survive must somehow be emphatic :shrug:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition