Desperately seekinh help with sleep.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:39 pm

For at least 3 weeks my sleep quality has been poor.This is due to the pain on my left side resulting from the falls.The mere act of swinging my left leg onto the bed results in a lot of pain.

Last night,as my s/daughter suggested I took a codeine and 2 phenergan 30 minutes before going to bed. I got a little sleepy when first in bed ,but after about 25 minutes the pain kicked in a strong way. I can not sleep facing the doorway because it’s far too painful to do so.I sleep on my side facing the wall. I sleep rather like this-

Normally that’s fine,but at present in doing so I’m experiencing a lot of pain.I’d welcome suggestions re how to lessen that pain.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2021, 3:27 pm

I'm a side sleeper most of the time. I've found the easiest solution to be to always sleep with a pillow between my legs, from between my knees up to my thighs. For back pain beyond that, I roll up or fold a towel (a lil pillow would work too) & stick it under my waist down towards the tops of my hips. It takes finagling to figure out how thick & the location, but it really helps.

I also change where on my bed I sleep, as well as switching where the "head" of my bed is. (I don't move the bed; I just put my head at the other end.) I've found that sleeping in the same divot can exacerbate pain.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 9:37 am

Thanks for the advice. I tried doing as you ,and others, have said with the pillow. Unfortunately it didn't help me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 9:33 pm

When I used to have knee pain, I used to sleep purely on my back.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 9:48 pm

What kind of mattress do you have?

If you don't have one already, might be a good idea to try and look into a memory foam mattress. I was getting sore from sleeping with the spring mattress me and my boyfriend had before we got one of those, but now if anything it can be hard to get out of bed since it's so comfortable. But yeah instead of having little points of pressure from the springs, it more conforms to your body and remains a more even surface.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 9:39 pm

i would see if you can get your doctor to prescibe benzos tranquilizers or sleeping pills.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When I used to have knee pain, I used to sleep purely on my back.

I tried that. Backside hurt too much doing it.

learningalways
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Nov 2021, 7:55 am

acupuncture might help. or maybe chiropractic.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 4:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
What kind of mattress do you have?

If you don't have one already, might be a good idea to try and look into a memory foam mattress. I was getting sore from sleeping with the spring mattress me and my boyfriend had before we got one of those, but now if anything it can be hard to get out of bed since it's so comfortable. But yeah instead of having little points of pressure from the springs, it more conforms to your body and remains a more even surface.

Not sure,but not a cheap one.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 5:11 pm

Talked to GP via phone today. He reckons it's nerve related.He didn't specifically mention sciatica, but that tends to get worse when lying down , which fits my situation.