Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MartianInvasion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2021, 6:52 pm

I am overtaken, obsessed, accursed am I with this f*****g thing. God knows it isn’t even particularly good. Even people at the time didn’t like it. Now I understand- this is my special interest, and has been for years… Tennyson’s “Maud”. There is no cure for this enchantment. I infodump at every opportunity about it and then people dont want to talk to me anymore. I know not what to do. I have found all the illustrations, several translations, contemporary reviews, book chapters, songs. Entrapped am I. And the more nervous I get, the more I want to talk about it. How do I channel this in a healthy way? Send help lol

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 5:25 am

Could you expand your interest into other works of Tennyson?
I've been kind of obsessed with Edgar Allan Poe my whole life, I have like 10 versions of his complete works and even a biography of him in French, a language I barely speak. But I managed to let go a bit after reading his one novel, Arthur Gordon Pym.

/Mats

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 7:42 pm

That's the nature of autism... getting obsessed with one particular topic, or a narrow category of topics.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 1:21 pm

Try another ingesting another poem as "methadone treatment".

I find Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" addicting, and also Ishmeal Reed's "Cowboy in the Boat of Ra" addicting.