I do not like to be touched

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 4:49 pm

It's true. Shoulders & back are off limits and yet people touch me there to get my attention anyway. I have my headphones on listening to my own music because everyone else is listening to country and I hate country. I'm the only one in my family who hates country. I'm just deep into a song and dad is tapping me to get my attention and I freak out. I always do when I'm being tapped on the shoulder. I scream the lord's name in vain and they have the nerve to yell back at me and threaten to punish me if I freak out like that again. They know I don't like be touched or tapped there. They know I don't like country music so I can't hear them, but MAYBE PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE SHOULD HAVE SOME f*****g COMMON COURTESY!! ! Sometimes I envy things that can't be touched like fire, acid, or cacti.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2021, 5:38 pm

Could you explain your sensory issues to your family , would they understand?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 5:53 pm

katzhutte wrote:

I do and they mostly don't care. I even explained how my sound allergy works stating that even if I make the sound, it still hurts. They're ignorant because they find ME annoying when it's the other way around.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 6:27 pm

I'm sorry you're living with such intolerant, insensitive people. (I hate country music, myself!) It sounds like you might not be able to change their minds or attitudes, but maybe you/they can change some of their behavior.

Do you think you could convince them to get your attention in some other way, like standing in front of you and waving? It's not a big ask, IMO.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 6:44 pm

KimD wrote:
I'm sorry you're living with such intolerant, insensitive people. (I hate country music, myself!) It sounds like you might not be able to change their minds or attitudes, but maybe you/they can change some of their behavior.

Do you think you could convince them to get your attention in some other way, like standing in front of you and waving? It's not a big ask, IMO.

I try, but no one listens to me. I tell them to close their mouth when they belch to minimize the noise, but they open up anyway.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 7:15 pm

Is there any feasible way you could look into a different living situation? That sounds awful, you're nearly 30...you're parents shouldn't still be punishing you. Either way you are right to be angry about this, people should respect if you don't want them to touch you, you're entitled to bodily autonomy. They are violating your rights.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Is there any feasible way you could look into a different living situation? That sounds awful, you're nearly 30...you're parents shouldn't still be punishing you. Either way you are right to be angry about this, people should respect if you don't want them to touch you, you're entitled to bodily autonomy. They are violating your rights.

I live on SSDI. If I was on my own now, I wouldn't get very far.

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2021, 12:20 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
katzhutte wrote:

I do and they mostly don't care. I even explained how my sound allergy works stating that even if I make the sound, it still hurts. They're ignorant because they find ME annoying when it's the other way around.

You have an ignorant family when it comes to your autism , sorry to hear that. Sounds like you all need to have a meeting to hash out the issues and hopefully come to a compromise.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 12:30 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I live on SSDI. If I was on my own now, I wouldn't get very far.

I can understand that, but still makes me angry you have to put up with that. There is subsidized housing, but I understand that can take at least a year or longer after applying to actually get approved and get a place. I signed up for that but before I heard back I met my boyfriend and we had moved in together so I didn't need a subsidized place anymore by the time I did. However, that is still an option so may not hurt to put in an application.

Also, some apartment buildings have low income housing, that you can qualify if your income is low enough where rent could be more affordable. Or could be people in your town/city looking for room-mates or to rent out a room to someone which could be an option.

Not saying any of that would be easy, but may be better than staying there

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2021, 12:37 am

I don't have an issue with being touched myself ( unless it's tickling ugh! ) but I absolutely jump out of my skin if I have my headphones on and am in my own world and get snapped back to reality.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 5:50 pm

katzhutte wrote:
I don't have an issue with being touched myself ( unless it's tickling ugh! ) but I absolutely jump out of my skin if I have my headphones on and am in my own world and get snapped back to reality.

I never liked being touched on my shoulders and back since I was very young. It got worse when I entered school. I was bullied a lot. Sometimes kids used to pass by and poke me in the back and run off before I looked. I hated it so much I developed PTSD around it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 6:00 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Ibut MAYBE PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE SHOULD HAVE SOME f*****g COMMON COURTESY!! ! Sometimes I envy things that can't be touched like fire, acid, or cacti.

Have you spoken with your family about how this makes you feel?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 11:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Ibut MAYBE PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE SHOULD HAVE SOME f*****g COMMON COURTESY!! ! Sometimes I envy things that can't be touched like fire, acid, or cacti.

Have you spoken with your family about how this makes you feel?

I have. But when it's my convenience vs theirs, theirs always wins. Luckily, they're not the kind of people who would tell me straight to my face that my disabilities hold them back. If I ever heard that statement from anyone, I think I'd go berserk.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:37 am

I hate it when precious lil "people" touch me. A coworker had the nerve to flick me in the ear, and another low live scum boy was laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. Thank Buddha I don't have to live with those lil dipshits.

How do they "punish" you? It seems unjustified for them to startle or scare you, then punish you for your reaction.

It might not be realistic or reasonable, but maybe you should get a job and move in with roommates (although that could be even worse)

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
I hate it when precious lil "people" touch me. A coworker had the nerve to flick me in the ear, and another low live scum boy was laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. Thank Buddha I don't have to live with those lil dipshits.

How do they "punish" you? It seems unjustified for them to startle or scare you, then punish you for your reaction.

It might not be realistic or reasonable, but maybe you should get a job and move in with roommates (although that could be even worse)

It's all bark and no bite. All talk and no action. I'm too old for discipline now. The things the threaten to do but never do involve everything from punching me in the face to shutting off the electricity in my bedroom.