New legislation to unmask online trolls

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 2:14 am

Quote:
New legislation to unmask online trolls and make social media companies responsible for comments

The legislation will deem social media companies the publisher of defamatory comments while Australian courts will have the power to unmask the online trolls making defamatory comments.

Jack Mahony
Digital Reporter
2 min read
November 28, 2021 -

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... erallPos=5

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 3:01 am

yeah :evil: , let's protect the shills

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 3:20 am

traven wrote:
yeah :evil: , let's protect the shills

"Please explain." 8)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 3:35 am

This won't end badly.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 1:55 pm

Dox47 wrote:
This won't end badly.

Most of the bad behaviour is the result of anonymity.
I think this assessment is self-evident.

I am in favour of curbing bad behaviour online.
I am not in favour of inhibiting freedom of expression via diversity of thought, however. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Government to introduce online trolling legislation
20 hours ago

The federal government is set to introduce legislation cracking down on online trolling on social media, as announced by Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Mr Morrison said the legislation would “ensure that Australians are safe online,” and hold tech giants accountable.

“The online world shouldn’t be a wild west, where bots and bigots and trolls and others are anonymously going around and harm people and hurt people, harass them and bully them and sledge them,” Mr Morrison said.

“That’s not Australia, that’s not what can happen in the real world and there’s no case for it to be able to be happening in the digital world.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... rallPos=13

traven
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:14 am

Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Trolling online can be seen in many different forms. More potent acts of trolling are blatant harassment or off topic banter; however, the term internet troll has also been applied to information warfare, hate speech, and even political activism.
--
A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with said person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, sports, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest.

more interesting
- Waterarmy (it can't happen here, only in china lolol)
- Agendasetting theory
- State-sponsored Internet propaganda, also known as state-sponsored trolling is a government's use of paid Internet propagandists with the intention of swaying public opinion, undermining dissident communities, or changing the perception of what is the dominant view. It is considered a form of astroturfing.
-(State-sponsored internet sockpuppetry)State sponsored online sockpuppetry and manipulation of online views is practiced by several countries, in particular by Russia, China, United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Israel, Turkey, Iran, Vietnam, India, Serbia and Ukraine.
-
- Swarm intelligence (SI) is the collective behavior of decentralized, self-organized systems, natural or artificial. The concept is employed in work on artificial intelligence. Enabled by mediating software such as the SWARM platform (formally unu) from Unanimous A.I., networks of distributed users can be organized into "human swarms" through the implementation of real-time closed-loop control systems. As published by Rosenberg (2015), such real-time systems enable groups of human participants to behave as a unified collective intelligence that works as a single entity to make predictions, answer questions, and evoke opinions

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:25 am

^ The sort of trolling the Prime Minister of Australia is focusing on is bullying, potentially resulting in the deaths of particularly young people.
I am in favour of holding psychopaths and sociopaths to account. 8)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 4:10 am

Pepe wrote:
^ The sort of trolling the Prime Minister of Australia is focusing on is bullying, potentially resulting in the deaths of particularly young people.

Eh, I'm telling you, this is the kind of thing where good intentions lead to bad results, I think if it passed Australia would just have to become a sort of internet dead-zone, as no one could afford the liability of operating there. Imagine what this place would be like if Alex could be sued every time someone said their feelings got hurt; he'd either shut it down, or have it so heavily moderated that anything more stimulating than a lolcat meme would draw an instant ban, it's just not a workable way to run anything on the internet. There's also the technical side, in that you'd need to build in the capability to identify specific individuals, which would be highly prone to abuse by various authorities, and not just in Australia.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 4:52 am

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Eh, I'm telling you, this is the kind of thing where good intentions lead to bad results, I think if it passed Australia would just have to become a sort of internet dead-zone, as no one could afford the liability of operating there. Imagine what this place would be like if Alex could be sued every time someone said their feelings got hurt; he'd either shut it down, or have it so heavily moderated that anything more stimulating than a lolcat meme would draw an instant ban, it's just not a workable way to run anything on the internet. There's also the technical side, in that you'd need to build in the capability to identify specific individuals, which would be highly prone to abuse by various authorities, and not just in Australia.

You would have to prove malice.
If there wasn't malice, no problem.

BTW, Why is civil behaviour a problem?
Personal attacks aren't allowed on this website either.

I think the focus is on platforms such as twitter.