Twp Republican congreesswomen make Islmaphobic remarks

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 1:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Invoking Godwin's law don't be so sure it can not happen in Canada. Prior to Hitler Germany was known for its high culture. The Jews there were in a similar position in society as they are in America currently.

Trump type populists have arisen in many countries.

Fortunately those types are viewed as fringe lunatics in Canada vs having any serious chance of getting elected. 8)

Edit: Ok, mostly. I say this as the most whack job federal party got very few votes. However, the mayor of my own city is a little trumpy in the sense that he ran on sensationalist promises that were too good to be true and will cost a lot more than he claimed if they ever do get done.. and he’s pushing forward with one of them just because he’s a bitter vindictive man that can’t get along with the RCMP. Cost be damned (it’s a HUGE expense) he’s pushing forward with creating a municipal police force and canceling the RCMP contract - even though we have the largest detachment in the country. It’s bat s**t crazy stuff that doesn’t make financial sense and Probably won’t dramatically improve policing or crime rates and will just be an absurd expense. It’s POSSIBLE if they do it just right we Could get a better policing model.. but it’s doubtful it’ll prove worth the money we don’t have as all gov’t are strapped for cash due to covid shutdowns. (Costs are projected to be $64M over 4 years)

Stupid sensationalism for votes, yes, but the association with hardcore racist views? Not so much.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 3:02 am

Australia is probably more like Canada in that we don't have the extreme wackos being elected to office like in the US. But far right sentiment does lurk just beneath the surface in the rhetoric of some of our politicians. Always a good idea to play "whack a mole" when they rear their heads in parliament.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 3:38 am

Republican women....saying stupid things....it get's worse
https://twitter.com/isabellarileyus/sta ... 5410125827

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 9:18 am

cyberdad wrote:

That would be one really big canceling.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 9:24 am

cyberdad wrote:

We have a term for GOP women: Stepford wives

In the 70s, there was such a woman named Phyllis Schlafly who single-handedly derailed a proposed Equal Rights Amendment that had large bipartisan support. If not for her, it would have become law.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:14 pm

Stepford wife is a "married woman who submits to her husband's will and is preoccupied by domestic concerns and her own personal appearance".

Yep that makes sense.

You can see this obsession is played out in American sitcoms and dramas where female characters lack the capacity for critical or independent thought. Makes me think Hollywood's version of the ideal female is playing out to a conservative male fantasy rather than to entertain a female audience.