How to recognise manipulation and what to do about it

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 11:31 am

Well I wish I hadn't watched it. I was just waiting for some eureka moment but to be honest I didn't learn anything new from it. That's not to say it won't be helpful for other people.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:29 am

Here is another take on it.
I was prescribed the book "When I say NO I feel Guilty" by Manuel J Smith when I saw a therapist. It saved my life and my sanity by helping me learn how to recognize when I was being manipulated but also by learning how to resist and how to be healthily self assertive.

It was a skill set/communication tools which I lacked due to a sick family situation in the way I was brought up. I could not think it through, I had to be taught how to do it!

I can't tell you how learning healthy ways to say NO, how to recognize being manipulated and how to set boundaries, etc changed my life for the better. The difference between life and death (I was suicidal before this) , the difference between night and day... but better. Like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. If I could do it, you can too.

The book is out of print now but widely available on used book sites, also there is a PDF and a youtube version of it. I recommend the book highly, if you are a reader, you might find it useful as well.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2021, 9:18 pm

A few months ago I did upload a video talking about "manipulation" and how it feels once one individual are manipulated or taken advantage of. I had this happening to me while I was growing up.

I like to one day in the future explore different types of "manipulation" such as Emotional Manipulation and maybe Physical Manipulation.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ