Great tenant sin list. The final.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 2:51 pm

After clearing out a mountain of trash that was worth virtually nothing financially, the house is finally complete.

Currently three people are interested.

One is a single woman who doesn't have a job and will never get past vetting or insurance

Second is a single woman who recently broke up with her partner, works two jobs and is currently deciding the equity on their home between them.

Third is a couple. The man works and the woman doesn't but they seem fine.

All is going well so far and it generated a bit of interest the day it went online. I had another message out the blue about it after getting home from work.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 11:29 am

Looks great, clean and fresh.
Ours also goes on the market this month.
We kept finding more things to repair, like the dryer vent hose.They had pulled it loose and it was balled up under the house in tatters.They left a hot wire hanging where they stole the dish washer.The last thing is to temporarily turn the water on to check for leaks and make sure the nutters or their brats didn’t stuff items down the toilets or chew the pipes in two.
What a nightmare.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 12:40 pm

Looks great!

How would you describe it?

2 fl, 2 br, 1 ba, ... ?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 1:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Looks great!

How would you describe it?

2 fl, 2 br, 1 ba, ... ?

You mean the type of house? It's a two bedroom, one lounge/diner, one bathroom and kitchen.

It's a mid terrace (US equivalent of a small townhouse) built in the early 1800s in the centre of town with massive 750mm thick external stone walls which you would never expect looking at the internal pics. The house itself has a little bit of history to it being a house build for the workers managing the estate of some seriously rich tech nerds of the day.

Probably a very different type of house compared to what folks in the US are familiar with. All stone construction and deceptively cheap heating bills. It has new 300mm thick loft insulation, updated electrics . You could fire a cannon at them and the balls will bounce off. All the houses I have are the same type but I like this one in particular as any tenant (or I) can get absolutely rat arsed drunk in the numerous pubs within 100 meters and just fall through the front door as residence past have no doubt been doing for the last 200 years. I think there are 4 pubs in 100 meters I believe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 1:36 pm

It looks like an ideal home for a pensioner.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 1:36 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Looks great, clean and fresh.
Ours also goes on the market this month.
We kept finding more things to repair, like the dryer vent hose.They had pulled it loose and it was balled up under the house in tatters.They left a hot wire hanging where they stole the dish washer.The last thing is to temporarily turn the water on to check for leaks and make sure the nutters or their brats didn’t stuff items down the toilets or chew the pipes in two.
What a nightmare.

Yip that's the rabbit hole you'll always end up going down once you get a house back in your possession. Everything and everything starts to look rough once you have an infinite amount of time to look around. Luckily I got rid of the smell of fried p**s and dead skunk but it came at the cost of ripping all flooring out and replacing it.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 1:45 pm

Fnord wrote:

It's ideal for a couple or single person. Pensioners will also like it and I have two pensioners in another very similar sized house at the other end of town. The good thing about it is that it has the benefits of being the size of a flat while also being a house.

No flights of stairs to walk up, no worries about where to park your car, the extra benefit of having two houses snuggled up either side against it in winter keeping the house a lot warmer (it makes a huge difference), and as close to the town centre as you could possibly be.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 2:38 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's ideal for a couple or single person. Pensioners will also like it and I have two pensioners in another very similar sized house at the other end of town. The good thing about it is that it has the benefits of being the size of a flat while also being a house.

No flights of stairs to walk up, no worries about where to park your car, the extra benefit of having two houses snuggled up either side against it in winter keeping the house a lot warmer (it makes a huge difference), and as close to the town centre as you could possibly be.
O, i fod yn Gymraeg...

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 2:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:

O, i fod yn Gymraeg...

Haha if only I could pronounce that. Welsh is a strange, strange language that everyone is scared of but we do have some very unique houses along with a lot of sheep, castles, industrial mining towns and hills to fall down. Distinct from England but eerily similar. Considering you like science and tech, it's a trip down memory lane assuming you're 200 years old. We even have the worlds biggest block of coal that'll put Minecraft to shame and somehow nobody has set it on fire in well over 100 years of open display. A true mystery of human ethics that will never be solved.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 2:54 pm

:D

Google Translate tells me that "O, i fod yn Gymraeg..." means "Oh, to be Welsh...".

You just cannot find affordable living spaces like that in California.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
:D

Google Translate tells me that "O, i fod yn Gymraeg..." means "Oh, to be Welsh...".

You just cannot find afordable living spaces like that in California.

Cities are generally horribly expensive places to live but smaller towns are often overlooked. The town that house is in has everything you would need within minutes walking distance but is slated for being rough. Bus links, a great main road at the end of the town with links to the motorway, 4 pubs within 100 meters and one serves great burgers with fries and pint for about £8, about 3 shops within 200 meters, a bowls club right next door (literally attached to the house), a nice park about 30 meters away that covers a lot of acres and in summer the countryside around the town is exceptionally good. The towns in my area also have their own quirky history at the forefront of the industrial revolution.

If you were to shove someone from LA into that town, they would probably be repulsed at first but I'm certain it'll grow on them. They would love the prices of everything that's for sure.

It's like a city but everything is condensed down into a much smaller size.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:23 pm

I miss small-town living.  Even the quirkiest of neighbors never went on a shooting rampage.

I hope your next tenants are really the best!

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
I miss small-town living.  Even the quirkiest of neighbors never went on a shooting rampage.

I hope your next tenants are really the best!

I love small town living and live in one of the small towns dotted around South wales. We have some oddballs but they're usually harmless. Like the granny that covers herself in vegetable oil and flashes the neighbours in her dressing gown and the guy who keeps buying phone boxes in a village a few miles away, the village singer who walks around signing very loudly, the guy who keeps saluting cars when they drive past and the parrot at the local fishing tackle shop that occasionally greets or hurls verbal abuse at customers depending on it's mood. Starting to sound a bit like LA but without the guns or sun.

Thanks too. The potential tenants seem more level headed than that last guy. They also smell nicer too which I consider a good sign obviously.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 4:00 pm

Nades wrote:
I love small town living and live in one of the small towns dotted around South wales. We have some oddballs but they're usually harmless. Like the granny that covers herself in vegetable oil and flashes the neighbours in her dressing gown and the guy who keeps buying phone boxes in a village a few miles away, the village singer who walks around signing very loudly, the guy who keeps saluting cars when they drive past and the parrot at the local fishing tackle shop that occasionally greets or hurls verbal abuse at customers depending on it's mood. Starting to sound a bit like LA but without the guns or sun...
Sounds like my hometown.

• We once found the mayor asleep on the "family throne" without any idea how he even got into the house.
• A maths teacher who regularly parked his father's tractor in the teachers' lot.
• Entire families camping out overnight to attend the opening day of our first McDonald's restaurant.
• The old man who lived in a shanty under the bridge who turned out to be a retired professor of philosophy.
• Opening day of deer season was a school holiday.
• A "Good Night Out" was spent in an Adirondack on the back porch.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 4:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
I love small town living and live in one of the small towns dotted around South wales. We have some oddballs but they're usually harmless. Like the granny that covers herself in vegetable oil and flashes the neighbours in her dressing gown and the guy who keeps buying phone boxes in a village a few miles away, the village singer who walks around signing very loudly, the guy who keeps saluting cars when they drive past and the parrot at the local fishing tackle shop that occasionally greets or hurls verbal abuse at customers depending on it's mood. Starting to sound a bit like LA but without the guns or sun...
Sounds like my hometown.

• We once found the mayor asleep on the "family throne" without any idea how he even got into the house.
• A maths teacher who regularly parked his father's tractor in the teachers' lot.
• Entire families camping out overnight to attend the opening day of our first McDonald's restaurant.
• The old man who lived in a shanty under the bridge who turned out to be a retired professor of philosophy.
• Opening day of deer season was a school holiday.
• A "Good Night Out" was spent in an Adirondack on the back porch.

Ironically I made a thread on an animated series in the film and television section that is freakishly similar to town life here and actual based on a real town close by but caricatured up several notches. All the usual "types" of people are in it and it's gained a bit of traction for how it portrays the endless crude idiocy and social clashes that take place here.

My area is known for being full of oddballs and it's probably a doppelganger of your hometown and others like it. Even the MTV show "The Valleys" was based here such is our reputation for living life like a perpetual episode of crap reality TV.

We also had Tea cosy Pete who "lived" in Swansea who was rumoured to be a genius but also a tramp. He made national news when he died. Best homeless man ever.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

Have you ever read the "Miss Read" series?  It made me feel nostalgia for a place I had never seen.