Review of Uta Frith's "Autism, explaining the enigma" pt.1

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 4:51 pm

The first chapter is "What is Autism?", and for the most part she does a very good job. I dont know how accurate she is about Kanner and Asperger, but everything seems good and clear. If I hadnt read the whole book before I may not have got uneasy feelings about her use of the word "normal" in contrast to "autistic" Such use gets pathological imo.

But her closing paragraph really got my attention, and I missed this the first time I read it.

"With a developmental disorder of early origin the very process of building up experience is affected. What this means for our search for explanations is that it would be wrong to merely focus on seperate features, facinating as these may be. It is easy to get sidetracked by a bizzare and flamboyant detail, but we have to see details as small peices of a larger puzzle. The pieces will have to be fitted together in a coherent picture, a picture which takes account of developmental forces. -Enigma p.15

she feels she has to go around warning people not to be autistic..? :o

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:15 pm

So on my first reading, I missed how Uta trainwreacks herself in Chapter 2 and 3.

I had spotted a later trainwreck or two, but this may be related to the all the great world religious systems trainwreck.

basically she says she is going deeper by going into myth, which would be correct if she did it properly,.

after bumbling around a few pages she says, "remember, this is just myth"

this is going to be easier than I thought.

Get To Work b*****s :wink:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:49 pm

wow what an incoherent post!:

viewtopic.php?t=397083

It has something to do with Holy Fools, I think..

maybe I should re write it.