Friends scaring me about pursuing medicine

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:49 pm

So I have decided to try to pursue medicine. My moment where I made this decision is one I will never tell in an interview though. I was researching so I didn't do too much damage while self harming and realised how amazing the human body is and after thinking further I thought about my own experience with trauma and frequent visits to the doctor, I'm actually currently going to the doctor because of frequent shooting face pain lol, and had an epiphany. I realised I wanted to be the doctor to help people like me, I'm specifically interested in psychiatry, especially after experiencing bias and struggle when it came to getting my diagnosis of autism. However, I might change what speciality I want to do, especially as these biases exist everywhere and almost stopped me from getting my diagnosis of epilepsy when I had it.

As this was a sudden realisation I don't yet have the Alevels needed, having done only humanities in sixth form college. Now I'm taking a second gap year to be home schooled in Biology and Chemistry and am planning to use tutoring to make sure everything is perfect by 2023. I understand it is quite crazy and it will be HARD but I'm very devoted and hopefully am starting my volunteering at a vaccination centre and am trying to find some sort of remote clinical experience through some contacts that my mum has. My friends are really scaring me though. They are also applying to medical school and seem a bit baffled at my choice and I feel they think I did it on a whim. I keep being told how hard it is and "I can't just do medicine because I find it interesting!". I know that! As interesting as I find the body and mind, I also want to care for people and stop them from dealing with what I have. I can't change the system but I want to be the type of doctor who can make others feel better!

I think my current issue is actually part of what is pushing me. For the past 7 years I've been dealing with the are around my neck being sensitive to even light pressure as well as pain that shoots through my nose and is behind my eyes. The doctor told me he suspects it is a TMJ disorder and since the soft diet and stuff he asked me to do failed I might have to have jaw surgey... Although he did keep looking at stuff to do with neuralgia while he was speaking to me which gave me anxiety. I hid this particular issue for years because when I first went to the doctors about it I was dismissed 2-3 times, now more than half a decade has passed. I want to be able to help others not go through this and I am determined. It would be nice if those around me didn't just see it as another impulsive decision :/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 7:03 pm

Have you thoroughly researched what it takes to get into medical school in the UK?

I think it would be great if you succeed in being a doctor.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 7:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Have you thoroughly researched what it takes to get into medical school in the UK?

I think it would be great if you succeed in being a doctor.

I've been reading a lot about what you need to do and am meeting with a careers adviser to learn about how to make sure to arrange my exam dates, what steps I need to take and other things. I've been doing a bunch of reading too and am planning to start studying for my UCAT now, I don't know if they have this where you are but it is a test you have to do to get into med school. It's gonna be crazy hard but I'm definitely dedicated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 7:33 pm

In the US, there's a test called "MCAT," which determines medical school aptitude.

The vast majority of people go on a "pre-med" track in colleges and universities before they apply to Medical School.

Have you taken any Anatomy and Physiology courses? They are very difficult courses which require a great amount of memorization and being able to identify anatomical entities in "real time." If you fail A & P, I would give up on going to Medical School. If you are inspired by A & P and do well in it---that, to me, would be excellent evidence that you got what it takes to complete the Medical School curriculum.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 9:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the US, there's a test called "MCAT," which determines medical school aptitude.

The vast majority of people go on a "pre-med" track in colleges and universities before they apply to Medical School.

Have you taken any Anatomy and Physiology courses? They are very difficult courses which require a great amount of memorization and being able to identify anatomical entities in "real time." If you fail A & P, I would give up on going to Medical School. If you are inspired by A & P and do well in it---that, to me, would be excellent evidence that you got what it takes to complete the Medical School curriculum.

That sounds really different to how we do it. After you go too secondary school which is from 11-16 you do Alevels or an equivalent from 16-18. If you want to do medicine you study 2 sciences at Alevel, get volunteering (I think you are suggested to get around 100 hours) including general and clinical and then apply to medicine. You are then expected to complete the UCAT test or the BMAT and go to an interview which are both supposed to be incredibly gruelling. I'm studying for about 2 years for this just to be safe, despite most only studying for a few months. It's a very involved process :')

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 3:05 am

Behind you 100%, Iv! Exciting plan, and from what I understand, you certainly have the intelligence! All the best! Very admirable! In Aus, the Nursing I studied was intense and the dropout rate was high. Had to get a 985 score at Secondary back then to go into Medicine.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 5:46 am

Lvpin, what a great calling you’ve heard! I’m sure it is hard work, but I remember having tons of energy and a great ability to memorize when it was something I was interested in. I am so happy for you.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 10:34 am

Many factors determine what job best matches your situation

That job could be psychiatrist or something else

Your friends do not determine your job

Your friends do not know if you have the potential for that job

However your friends have freedom of speech

Your friends are only trying to help you

Your friends don't know how to help you

Sometimes when someone tries to "help" someone, they make the situation worse