People who have money shopping at Goodwill?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 7:03 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
What’s your opinion on people who have money shopping at thrift stores and Goodwill? By money I mean people who are very financially stable.

I think its fine and wise.My family has millions of dollars and we have gotten things from thrift stores.I would like to buy cheap second-hand clothes pretty much exclusively when I get out of the house so i will have more money to put in the stock market for retirement and so I can raise a family cheaper.I am a minimalist and having high fashion clothes is against my interpretation of Christianity so I think it is better for me to shop at goodwill than get designer clothes.People get rich by spending like the rich which is frugal.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 03 Dec 2021, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 8:18 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
What’s your opinion on people who have money shopping at thrift stores and Goodwill? By money I mean people who are very financially stable.

I think its fine and wise.My family has millions of dollars and we have gotten things from thrift stores.I would like to buy cheap second-hand clothes pretty much exclusively when I get out of the house so i will have more money to put in the stock market for retirement and so I can raise a family cheaper.I am a minimalist and having high fashion clothes is against my interpretation of Christianity so I think it is better for me to shop at goodwill than get designer clothes.

What does Christianity have to deal with what clothes you wear? I’m not a Christian so I wouldn’t know.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:20 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I think its fine and wise.My family has millions of dollars and we have gotten things from thrift stores.I would like to buy cheap second-hand clothes pretty much exclusively when I get out of the house so i will have more money to put in the stock market for retirement and so I can raise a family cheaper.I am a minimalist and having high fashion clothes is against my interpretation of Christianity so I think it is better for me to shop at goodwill than get designer clothes.

What does Christianity have to deal with what clothes you wear? I’m not a Christian so I wouldn’t know.

Well according to the New Testament wearing costly fashion is condemned so I try not to wear expensive clothes and also because I am cheap.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 3:48 am

IMHO "rich" people are members of the 6-figure crowd and tend strongly to be haughty. i have only met one rich person who was not haughty [a relative]. the person who was rude to me, i angrily watched him exit the store and hop into his new mercedes sedan and speed off. but i've seen this behavior often enough that it represents a trend IMHO.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:03 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

There's nothing technically wrong with wearing good quality clothes from a Christian perspective. Jesus wore a really good quality inner garment. It was so nice the guards didn't want tear it like they did with his over garment and bet over who could have it.

But being deliberately showy and worrying more about your appearance and fancy new hairdos rather than being good to others is condemned. There's a balance, you can look nice, but it shouldn't be your priority.

Building yourself up with an attitude that you're better than others like the guy in Auntblabby's story isn't Christian. It's better to be good on the inside than dolled up on the outside.

Quote:
because all that is in the world, the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the pretentiousness of our life, does not come from the Father but comes from the world;

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:41 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

There's nothing technically wrong with wearing good quality clothes from a Christian perspective. Jesus wore a really good quality inner garment. It was so nice the guards didn't want tear it like they did with his over garment and bet over who could have it.

But being deliberately showy and worrying more about your appearance and fancy new hairdos rather than being good to others is condemned. There's a balance, you can look nice, but it shouldn't be your priority.

Building yourself up with an attitude that you're better than others like the guy in Auntblabby's story isn't Christian. It's better to be good on the inside than dolled up on the outside.

Quote:
because all that is in the world, the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the pretentiousness of our life, does not come from the Father but comes from the world;

There are passages in the New Testament that say dont wear expensive clothes and jewelry that maybe Paul wrote so thats why I am against it.I am not against wearing good clothes as long as they are not pricey.And the guy in Aunt Blabby's story prolly did not have that much money because most people who wear fancy things and have brand new new fancy cars dont have much money if you read the Millionaire Next Door and are prolly not millionaires.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 8:00 pm

The complaint I got was that I was ripping off charitable organizations when I found an expensive item for $7.
So, are we better off if 2 cubic feet of electronics ended up in the landfill instead?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 2:01 pm

Goodwill has become expensive as Ross so Goodwill is no longer a normal thrift store. If I want a real thrift store, Montana is the place to find them sadly.

I would rather buy something new at Ross now since it would be as much at a Goodwill. RIP thrift prices.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 3:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Goodwill has become expensive as Ross so Goodwill is no longer a normal thrift store. If I want a real thrift store, Montana is the place to find them sadly.

I would rather buy something new at Ross now since it would be as much at a Goodwill. RIP thrift prices.

I read something similar about Savers. T.J. Maxx has good discount prices. I don’t buy clothes often. I usually wait for sales at Rue21 or any store for that matter.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre