People who have money shopping at Goodwill?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:26 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
What’s your opinion on people who have money shopping at thrift stores and Goodwill? By money I mean people who are very financially stable.

I don't see why there would be any issue with this. Money spent at Goodwill and many thrift stores primarily goes to charity (at least that is what I've heard), so I would view this as a good thing.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
at goodwill and similar, i have been victimized by rich people who snagged stuff right outta my hands while sneering at me. so i am biased against those stores being available to the wealthy. just like how you have to have a costco card to shop at costco, you should have a poverty card to shop at those charity stores. let the wealthy buy brand-new.

What is your definition of "wealthy"?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:38 am

It's better for the environment to buy second hand where you can. I think even wealthy people should do this. I will never stop shopping in charity shops, though I do get most of my clothes from eBay.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 9:54 am

I absolutely love charity shops. My most recent purchase was a wooden shelfing unit. It was £20 and its perfect for all of my dvds.

I know that I would still use the charity shops even if I was rich because I just love recycling old furniture and making it into something new and unique for myself.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 10:00 am

One thing I will say is that the cost of items in charity shops seems to have rocketed up in the last few years. Some of them appear to be going for an almost boutiquey status.

Don't know if that's anything to do with wealthier people shopping there though.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 11:45 am

hurtloam wrote:
It's better for the environment to buy second hand where you can. I think even wealthy people should do this. I will never stop shopping in charity shops, though I do get most of my clothes from eBay.

Absolutely this!! The only reason I cannot shop at most secondhand shops for clothing is because they use strong detergents to wash all of the clothes (and it never comes out)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 11:48 am

I found some of my favorite Hawai'ian shirts at thrift stores.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Dec 2021, 1:13 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
People who have money did not get that way by spending it all at expensive stores.  Is is called being thrifty.

I concur. Money talks and wealth whispers.

I noticed an interesting trend with the genuinely wealthy. They seem to not care what others think of them. To them money is just a number and a game where getting the highest score matters. Flaunting that high score is just secondary and they largely don't care.

With "fake rich" impressing others (others who don't care about you anyway) matters. All the familiar brands they spend their money on and quickly run out.

"Fake rich" walks on with a suit, shiny Rolex and orders the lobster to impress everyone.

"Real rich" walks in with cheap curry stained clothes, a Patek Philippe that nobody heard of and orders a greasy burger because he/she is a badass.
Apparently, I'm really rich :lol:
Moreover - I was really rich even when my family was nominally poor :lmao:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 1:14 pm

Yep....I'd be "really rich," too.

I enjoy "greasy burgers!"

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 2:02 pm

^I somehow doubt either of you were ordering greasy burgers while sporting a Patek Philippe, though. I only know what it is without googling because I have a fake one my brother bought for me in China. They're wristwatches with crystal backs that you can see the movements through and cost as much as cars - or even houses.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Dec 2021, 2:15 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
^I somehow doubt either of you were ordering greasy burgers while sporting a Patek Philippe, though. I only know what it is without googling because I have a fake one my brother bought for me in China. They're wristwatches with crystal backs that you can see the movements through and cost as much as cars - or even houses.
Googled it :lmao:
What kind of weirdo buys a watch worth a house? And why? To have it stolen?
But, honestly, I don't care. It's someone else's life.

I did the other way around, though - dined in top-shelf elegant restaurants in a ragged t-shirt. Does it count? (science conferences are weird, at least in my field)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 2:18 pm

I have a wealthy cousin, last time I saw him he was rolling in a Yugo with no back seat, wearing overalls and was missing some front teeth.
When Sam Walton was the richest man in the world he still drove the same old pick up.He would get in line at the store and checkout like he was a customer to see how the service was.He looked like a typical consumer.
Most likely only wore a suit to church or a funeral.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 2:27 pm

The Yugo is a lousy car.

He should have gotten his teeth fixed for his health.

He's overly cheap on himself, in my opinion.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 6:38 pm

/\ He was around seventy at the time.He probably had a partial for the teeth and just didn’t care to wear it.I have no idea where he got the Yugo, it was the only one I’d ever seen.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 6:39 pm

magz wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Googled it :lmao:
What kind of weirdo buys a watch worth a house? And why? To have it stolen?
But, honestly, I don't care. It's someone else's life.

I did the other way around, though - dined in top-shelf elegant restaurants in a ragged t-shirt. Does it count? (science conferences are weird, at least in my field)

Genuinely rich people buy insanely expensive bespoke luxury brands that people like us never even heard of and don't care in the slightest if we acknowledge those brands or not. Fake rich "signal" to to people like us by buying overpriced brands like Rolex and Gucci that we all heard of. I would say genuinely rich people also shop in thrift stores too. Saving money and being restrained is in a true rich persons blood so I would understand millionaires shopping in them.

I always walk around dressed in two layers of burnt, welding spattered shirts. I rarely bother to change out of my works clothes unless I'm going somewhere special which is pretty much never.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 6:59 pm

Once the richest man in the world.Image