Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2021, 7:19 am

I hate it when people try to simplify complex stuff. The thing is: something complex is something complex.
I have tried to tell myself that something complex is something simple. It just made me frustrated. All that worked for me was to choose to see it as it really is. My strategy is to look at things as complex if they are and go from their without trying to make it more difficult than it have to be.
Does "looking at a complex thing as a simple thing" work for the NT people? Is this some kinda NT thing? Or do you guys love this thing that I hate?
It never worked for me as a person with an ASD diagnosis.
I just read that talking about soft skills and hard skills can be problematic. Saying that you really only need hard skills when working on a machine can be problematic as you also need soft skills in order to do tasks. Things are more complex. I'm not saying that I like over-complicating stuff. That is also bad. I just want to see reality as it is.
But must say that some people do see too much complexity. That's also bad.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 7:37 am

Generalization through association and assumption (which may source from bias and stereotypes), is different from simplifying terms into layman language.

I take it that you're referring to the former.

The former is simply just about making it easier for them and nothing to do with facts.
It's more like this form of mental shortcut of references, whether rightly or wrongly attributed or parallel.
But yes, that's how it usually works unfortunately.

The latter is just the same facts with less complex or nuanced language, in which the language change's purpose is a more receptive communication through simpler expression.
This is more of a teacher's and an author's tool.

Whatever you're doing does backfire -- it is disonating, trying to fit your own definition and comprehension in favor of someone else's will not work well, instead of finding real parallels of your own terms and theirs'.

As for myself, I had long accepted that people may not always understand, let alone getting a better match.
But my ability to do the latter well in real life, usually in my native language makes up for it.

I don't have a lot of strong attachment or preferences to lexicons, terms and definitions.
It's one of my weaknesses after all, and one of my work arounds is to be less rigid around it.

Lastly, due to the handicaps around my language abilities, I usually say 'in my opinion' if it's data based, 'as far as I know/understand' or in a less direct language in which others would likely understand more when I lack the vocabulary or language skills for it.
If someone knows better or/and has a better wording for the same stuff, I'd take it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2021, 8:00 am

I guess different brains are able to handle different levels of complexity.

Maybe the problem is in admitting when something is too complex for your personal cognitive abilities? I can see that when something becomes too complex, it's more comforting to deny the complexity than it is to contemplate the limits of your abilities.

I think we see this a lot with politics at the moment. People seem to mistrust complexity and dismiss it as an attempt to shut them out of the debate, or diminish their position. With Brexit for example, a hideously complex subject was reduced to some very simple slogans. People are still denying its complexity, even now. Not just the average guy either, politicians and journalists (although they may just be acting in bad faith, who knows?)

Similarly with climate change, immigration, peaceful protest, nutrition, psychology - anything really. People don't want to hear that these things are complex and hardly anyone - if anyone at all - fully understands them. They want to hear that they have simple solutions because their understanding of them is simplistic.

Sometimes I feel the complexity of things is so great it can be paralysing. It seems like if your opinion on any matter doesn't fit into a tweet or a meme then people don't have the patience for it.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2021, 1:16 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Generalization through association and assumption (which may source from bias and stereotypes), is different from simplifying terms into layman language.

I take it that you're referring to the former.

The former is simply just about making it easier for them and nothing to do with facts.
It's more like this form of mental shortcut of references, whether rightly or wrongly attributed or parallel.
But yes, that's how it usually works unfortunately.

The latter is just the same facts with less complex or nuanced language, in which the language change's purpose is a more receptive communication through simpler expression.
This is more of a teacher's and an author's tool.

Whatever you're doing does backfire -- it is disonating, trying to fit your own definition and comprehension in favor of someone else's will not work well, instead of finding real parallels of your own terms and theirs'.

As for myself, I had long accepted that people may not always understand, let alone getting a better match.
But my ability to do the latter well in real life, usually in my native language makes up for it.

I don't have a lot of strong attachment or preferences to lexicons, terms and definitions.
It's one of my weaknesses after all, and one of my work arounds is to be less rigid around it.

Lastly, due to the handicaps around my language abilities, I usually say 'in my opinion' if it's data based, 'as far as I know/understand' or in a less direct language in which others would likely understand more when I lack the vocabulary or language skills for it.
If someone knows better or/and has a better wording for the same stuff, I'd take it.

my understanding is that people want to simplify things because complicating and making things more dificult is bad. That's the thing: it never works!
People always try to come up with the theory of how everything is actually extremely simple if you really think about it. This is why we have people saying how easy it is to learn piano in one month. Well, it is not true at all.
If we talk about soft and hard skills we really do oversimpify stuff. Maybe that is the generalization you're refering to.
But I guess that a lot of times the ASD brains missunderstand people. I never understand how people can believe how simple it is to categorize skills in just two simple categories. Now I know that we are supposed to see it as helpful as it simplifies something complex and makes it easier. Sounds like something many NTs just love. For me it just makes it harder to see reality.
Do people really find it helpful to see something complex as something simple?
Everything is both simple and complex at the same time. An example: you're singing and suddenly you sing the wrong notes. There is a simplicity: not the exact notes you should sing. Complexity: how far off were you and what exactly did happen.
We always have a simplicity and a complexity.
I have heard that ASD people can't stand generalizations as it is not really that concrete.

"In the name of simplicity, many teams will remove key information that users actually need to successfully use and troubleshoot products. It may be more helpful to envision the tech writer's task as making complex information usable rather than just simple. In the minds of many product teams, simple means brief. Removing documentation doesn't make products easier to use. Many times, removing information makes the user experience more complicated." https://idratherbewriting.com/simplifyi ... icity.html