Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dua97
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2021, 2:48 am

Just interested to see how many here drive :)

I don't drive. I've had two driving tests so far and I failed both :oops: I'm quite nervous, so I don't think that helped. Not giving up though, I'll try again next year.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 2:52 am

I didn't get my driver's license until I was 29. I took my driving test at a third party testing center and they were a lot more lenient than a DMV would have been. So I have my driver's license, but currently I don't have a car. I don't really like driving, anyway.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:22 am

I have a License but don't drive

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 4:37 am

I learned to drive as soon as I was old enough. As a kid I always loved driving things. I love the freedom of driving. I don't care about cars themselves though. If it's got a working stereo it's good enough for me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:22 am

No. I can drive on empty/near-empty roads fine, but throw in other cars, bikes, trucks, buses, people, animals and so on and the rules leave my head instantly and my functioning drops very quickly, and it'd be what I'd consider dangerous. I'm good at focusing on one thing, not so much the million other moving things that I can't really predict as they aren't under my control. IIRC, they've done some studies on this and people with autism, and it's a sensory/executive dysfunction thingy which causes various degrees of impairment. It's one of the more annoying parts of my autism, especially with my life circumstances.

I'm sure the majority with autism are fine or can get by well enough, though.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:34 am

I have a bike licence but not a car. I had four driving lessons and could not operate the clutch or properly control the vehicle. The other thing that didn't help was the instructor... he was a complete arse.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 6:25 am

It took me longer than most to learn, but I've been driving a long time now. And I'm pretty good at it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 6:33 am

I don't.

No one taught me. Though I can always ask someone, or that driving school can be a choice if I have the budget.
But not useful at my current situation.

My house doesn't own any car of any size because we can't afford it and we got no space for it.
We all ride motorcycles, scooters, tricyles or bikes instead, in some way or another on daily basis.

I rarely ever been in any car or any more than four wheeled vehicles, let alone drive one.
I've only been in such sort of vehicles whenever almost always involved long distance trips.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:46 am

Yes. I do.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:47 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I don't.

No one taught me. Though I can always ask someone, or that driving school can be a choice if I have the budget.

My house doesn't own any car of any size because we can't afford it and we got no space for it.
We all ride motorcycles, scooters, tricyles or bikes instead, in some way or another on daily basis.

I rarely ever been in any car or any more than four wheeled vehicles, let alone drive one.
I've only been in such sort of vehicles whenever almost always involved long distance trips.

You have bicycles? Nice.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 8:13 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
I don't.

You have bicycles? Nice.

I don't own any actually, but do ride in every other occassion after being out of practice. Still feels I'm out of practice.
And I plan to own any one of which myself.

Only one motorcycle my mom owns for herself, and a tricycle no one uses to be sold soon.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 8:22 am

I have a few too many but some need work.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 10:32 am

It took me ages to learn but not only do I drive, I've also done some competitive driving (mostly autocross).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 8:10 pm

Even if I could drive, I should not drive. I’m too easily distracted, slow at processing, and easily overwhelmed, not really anything I can improve on. So I haven’t ever tried to get a license. I say I have T-rex vision, if there’s motion, my eyes go to it whether I want them to or not (including things like a bird flying across the road or someone jogging on the sidewalk).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 8:35 pm

Never plan to. I fear i might liken it to playing GTA therefore being impervious to most collisions and no threat from the law for going down the wrong side of the road, i was obsessed with driving buses in games but could never see myself driving anything with the anxiety I get from most tasks that require thought and multitasking

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 9:32 pm

Yes, I learned to drive as soon as eligible and passed the test the first time. When I was in the driver training car in high school, once I was over cautious making a left turn and the hot head instructor blurts out "You're going to get someone killed someday". The only injury so far was my twisted wrist from an accident which was mostly the other drivers fault. I think the instructor just misread me as being less able to focus on a task, then I am.