Do you think a lottery for schools can make the difference?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2021, 4:51 pm

So, myself and a sibling grew up in the same dysfunctional household, right... with me going to some idiotic church school which literally only bothered to get any real scientific subjects... after I left, screwed me for life... really low standards generally, an essay I wrote once e.g. was presumed plagiarism... I guess, must have thought, since most others couldn't write, I couldn't either... had a breakdown soon after leaving too, although I mainly blamed it on the abusive household (not much else happened at that point, school may have screwed me over, but at least it ended)... now my sibling happened to be chosen, through a random process, to go to this other school... which didn't seem as dysfunctional, although I don't know much about it anyway... from the descriptions it seemed to be better than mine, at any rate... more subjects too (one other difference is that it catered to a bunch of ages, so didn't have to find a new school after some arbitrary number like I did, not sure if that was part of the equation)... my sibling didn't have a breakdown, and could go onto uni, while I rot away alone decades later... so, was it just the lottery, or something else...?

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

04 Dec 2021, 4:58 pm

Private schools? Maybe. But certainly there are lotteries for visas for example but there's a main way to get them too. Why would they not be accessible? Cost?

Btw if you add spaces between your paragraphs or topics of the same post it's easier to read.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Last edited by Rexi on 04 Dec 2021, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2021, 5:01 pm

Not sure visa lotteries are usually used for up to high school level... the one my sibling had didn't cost, was just random...

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

04 Dec 2021, 5:04 pm

noisserped wrote:
Not sure visa lotteries are usually used for up to high school level... the one my sibling had didn't cost, was just random...

You mean there's no other way to get into the school other than lottery?
Because I meat to ask if there is another way to get into that school too which might be less easy.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2021, 5:15 pm

Well, I suppose people can always go to the ones that accept everyone like mine did... but, they're often time-wasters, to say the least...

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 10:10 am

Having given your post a good look, I'd be inclined to say no, it wasn't the lottery.

jkwon23
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2022, 5:48 pm

For universities, no.
Professors assume that students are responsible enough to submit assignments and succeed in their goals.

For high schools, almost everyone is guaranteed schooling, so I don't think it would make a difference.
For private schools, students need to pay for their own schooling, otherwise, the business would not last. Lottery system could not work because majority of people could not afford pricey private schools.