Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 11:22 am

I haven’t renounced my faith, but if I were to do so, it would be because that Christianity in the U.S. is way too political. Also, it teaches people (especially women) to hate sex.

Berating and punishing a young rape victim for “having sex outside of marriage”? Beyond pathetic!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 11:53 am

Excluding sinners until they repent is one thing; but labelling as 'sinful' things like inter-racial relationships, being poor, earning a non-religious education, and being a bullying victim is a travesty that would make Jesus weep.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 11:58 am

Fnord wrote:
Excluding sinners until they repent is one thing; but labelling as 'sinful' things like inter-racial relationships, being poor, earning a non-religious education, and being a bullying victim is a travesty that would make Jesus weep.

“a vote against Trump is a vote against God”. No wonder they support him. And they spread falsehoods about places they don’t like.

Example: One evangelical group said that California “legalized pedophilia” because they decriminalized cases of “young love” that involve relationships where one partner is 18 and the other is 17.

They want everything to be like it was in the 1950s. 1950s America was worse than Nazi Germany.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 12:09 pm

What drove me away from church for a long time was my father quoting Bible verses at me (and making up a few of his own) whenever I disappointed him; sometimes after he had pounded down a few beers.  Of course, the only times I remember him in a church were during weddings and funerals.

I am now part of a church that does NOT demonize diversity, university education, vaccines, or voting for anyone other than Trump (although we did lose a few members when our pastors refused to endorse or promote any political candidate from the pulpit).

Last edited by Fnord on 06 Dec 2021, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 12:30 pm

If any lifestyle should be shoved down people’s throats, it should be either the “artsy hipster” or the “anarcho-punk” lifestyle.

Also, fornication should be mandatory, not illegal. I don’t want anybody, male, female, non-binary, et al, to be virgins on their wedding day.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 12:37 pm

What turned me away? Over a decade of being treated like God hates freaks.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 12:39 pm

If God hated freaks it wouldnt have invented Jimi Hendrix

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Dec 2021, 12:48 pm

I realized reciting "I believe in God" was a lie... and I definitely don't believe in a God who would expect me to regularly lie that I believed in him.
It was part of my unmasking experience, by the way. Learning not to fake at least before myself. Assuming if God exists, He would accept the ugliest truth but no faking.
Who's been through a lifetime of masking will know.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 12:56 pm

If I was a Christian, I would only "renounce Christianity" if I didn't believe in Jesus of Nazareth as a Supreme Being above all, except God.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 12:58 pm

Sadly, many people believe that the Bible is the foundation of Christianity.

It is not.

Jesus is.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Dec 2021, 1:03 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
If any lifestyle should be shoved down people’s throats, it should be either the “artsy hipster” or the “anarcho-punk” lifestyle.

Also, fornication should be mandatory, not illegal. I don’t want anybody, male, female, non-binary, et al, to be virgins on their wedding day.
Do you really hate asexuals/graysexuals and naturally orderly people that much?
Naturally boring people are absolutely part of the natural human diversity.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 1:11 pm

Whether or not somebody is a virgin on his/her wedding day is totally irrelevant.

I believe Tim Tex is advocating a sort of hedonistic lifestyle.---nothing wrong with that, though I don't totally agree with that.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 1:25 pm

I'm not religious by any means, but this thread is interesting. I'm from the secular Northeast. It seems like the people responding to this thread equate "Christianity" specifically with Bible Belt Fundamentalist Protestantism...or Evangelicalism. Christianity is a BIG religion with many branches and offshoots. They don't all agree on what it even means to be "Christian" sometimes.

It just seems like we're really talking about a specific type of Christianity, mainly of the aforementioned Bible Belt Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant type. Most of what applies to them doesn't really apply to High Church Protestants, Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, "Oriental" (Coptic/Maronite) Christian groups. But those other groups are still Christian none-the-less.

Now, as for the website itself, most of the people seem to be saying, "I did XYZ, then was shunned for it. So, I was done with Christianity." Honestly, it sounds like they were done with (their brand of) Christianity before the ill treatment.

It's like saying, "I joined the Better Business Bureau. They gave me a hard time because I like to short-change customers, cut corners on work, and not report all of my earnings to the IRS. They judged me, so I was DONE with them." ...Maybe you shouldn't have been in the BBB in the first place.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 1:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I was a Christian, I would only "renounce Christianity" if I didn't believe in Jesus of Nazareth as a Supreme Being above all, except God.

Agreed. Regardless of what one believes or doesn't believe, it seems like most of the website was dealing with interpersonal problems, rather than faith. Or, the person didn't have faith in their religion to begin with, but needed the mistreatment of others to act as an incentive/justification to leave the religion. It sounds like most of them were "done" well-before the mistreatment, which is fine. But they couldn't leave on their own accord. They needed others as an excuse to leave.

I wonder if this is really an NT social thing moreso than a religious thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 1:34 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Agreed. Regardless of what one believes or doesn't believe, it seems like most of the website was dealing with interpersonal problems, rather than faith. Or, the person didn't have faith in their religion to begin with, but needed the mistreatment of others to act as an incentive/justification to leave the religion. It sounds like most of them were "done" well-before the mistreatment, which is fine. But they couldn't leave on their own accord. They needed others as an excuse to leave.  I wonder if this is really an NT social thing moreso than a religious thing.
Part of this may be that children can be brainwashed into believing that they are so full of sin and/or the devil that they deserve the abuse and contempt they receive from their parents and other church members.  Then one day they finally grow up; at which point they realize that they have been lied to all along, and that they do not have to take it any more.