Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 3:29 am

I don't see a problem with members of an economically marginalized group making a point of supporting each other.

For example, one of my eventual aims is to create (or support, if someone else creates it first) a network of autistic-owned small businesses, and to encourage autistic people and their families to patronize these businesses.

I wouldn't advocate LIMITING ourselves to buying from autistic-owned businesses, but I would (once this becomes feasible) advocate buying from them where easily possible.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 5:55 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
I don't see a problem with members of an economically marginalized group making a point of supporting each other.

But you do see the irony, right? :scratch:

Mona Pereth wrote:
For example, one of my eventual aims is to create (or support, if someone else creates it first) a network of autistic-owned small businesses, and to encourage autistic people and their families to patronize these businesses.

I wouldn't advocate LIMITING ourselves to buying from autistic-owned businesses, but I would (once this becomes feasible) advocate buying from them where easily possible.

Because Australia is threatened/attacked by China, not only through trade, but also existentially, there is advocacy for buying non-Chinese products wherever possible.
Make of that what you will. 8)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 6:17 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

While it may seem ironic, creating a self-supporting community has long been considered the best way for a minority group to move towards economic parity. All immigrant groups in the US have done it; its been known for decades; we studied it back in high school in the 1970s. One of the reasons the black community never achieved parity was because they were not able to do it. Back then I was only told they hadn't done it, but I know now of many instances they tried but their communities were destroyed and/or assets unfairly seized. This country has really done a number on POC.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:21 pm

One thing we now have here which we did not have in the past, that I am surprized it is allowed, apart from not being "British" is Black Friday.

Here we always did the New Years Sale instead which is where the Christmas stuff that did not sell would be offered at next to trade prices to clear the shelves ready for ordinary items to replace them for the rest of the year.
But I am really surprized we have adopted what can be described as an insult to the black people here as though they claim it has origions in past stock market failures, it does not look good and can be taken the wrong way.
Either way it does not really seem an appropiate thing to get involved with here in the UK, especially since we have our own traditional clearout sale instead.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:35 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
One thing we now have here which we did not have in the past, that I am surprized it is allowed, apart from not being "British" is Black Friday.

Here we always did the New Years Sale instead which is where the Christmas stuff that did not sell would be offered at next to trade prices to clear the shelves ready for ordinary items to replace them for the rest of the year.
But I am really surprized we have adopted what can be described as an insult to the black people here as though they claim it has origions in past stock market failures, it does not look good and can be taken the wrong way.
Either way it does not really seem an appropiate thing to get involved with here in the UK, especially since we have our own traditional clearout sale instead.

The phrase comes from the fact that retailers tend to spend most of the year "in the red" financially (reporting a loss) and turn to "black" (reporting a profit) with the holidays. The deep discounts the day after Thanksgiving drive shoppers into the stores, but the sales are never the only shopping that gets done, and often the day is when the shop will be able to change the color of it's financial ledgers.

Now that most financial work is done on computers, you don't really see the "red" and the "black" ink anymore, but it is a very old accounting term.

Perhaps the fact that so much shopping gets done on-line has pushed retailers out of the US to adopt the custom as a way of competing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:46 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

While it may seem ironic, creating a self-supporting community has long been considered the best way for a minority group to move towards economic parity. All immigrant groups in the US have done it; its been known for decades; we studied it back in high school in the 1970s. One of the reasons the black community never achieved parity was because they were not able to do it. Back then I was only told they hadn't done it, but I know now of many instances they tried but their communities were destroyed and/or assets unfairly seized. This country has really done a number on POC.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:50 pm

It was thought, rightly, that there were not enough black businesses in black areas back in the 1960s. This was one of the bases for Malcolm X's advocacy of self-sufficiency for black folks.

Where I differ with Malcolm was his pure separatism. Martin Luther King spoke for self-sufficiency, too. But he also advocated working with the "majority." He was a smart man.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:53 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Once again the wokeists have perverted the context of the expression.
"Black", in this instance, refers to getting the books in the black, rather than in the red, so I have been informed.
It is an accounting term, but of course you have people intent in finding racism even where it doesn't exist.

Welcome to the wokeist nirvana/dystopia. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:55 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

The phrase comes from the fact that retailers tend to spend most of the year "in the red" financially (reporting a loss) and turn to "black" (reporting a profit) with the holidays. The deep discounts the day after Thanksgiving drive shoppers into the stores, but the sales are never the only shopping that gets done, and often the day is when the shop will be able to change the color of it's financial ledgers.

Now that most financial work is done on computers, you don't really see the "red" and the "black" ink anymore, but it is a very old accounting term.

Perhaps the fact that so much shopping gets done on-line has pushed retailers out of the US to adopt the custom as a way of competing.

Indeed. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It was thought, rightly, that there were not enough black businesses in black areas back in the 1960s. This was one of the bases for Malcolm X's advocacy of self-sufficiency for black folks.

Where I differ with Malcolm was his pure separatism. Martin Luther King spoke for self-sufficiency, too. But he also advocated working with the "majority." He was a smart man.

King or King Jr?
Please educate me. :nerdy:

King Jr would be spinning in his grave in regard to the violence seen these days. 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 9:22 pm

His full name, with honorifics, was The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He was born Michael King, Jr.

His father's name was originally Michael King. He became Martin Luther King, Sr. I'll have to research further why his name was changed.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 9:36 pm

I don't get that saying... I hear it around here.

"If he was alive today he would turn in his grave".

Well he would turn in his grave if he was alive to stop himself from getting stiff. It is logical. It is an odd saying though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 9:39 pm

Many idioms are odd. Most of them are medieval in origin. If you were a medieval person, you would get the meaning right away. But we're modern people, so we have to do research to get the meaning of many idioms.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 9:50 pm

Most local businesses in black neighborhoods aren't black-owned. But they're not white-owned either. Convenient stores are typically run by one group, laundromats/dry cleaners by another. Neither are white or black owned.

So is the goal to boycott white businesses, or avoid ANY business that isn't black-owned and operated? There are more types of humans than just black or white.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 12:31 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
So is the goal to boycott white businesses, or avoid ANY business that isn't black-owned and operated? There are more types of humans than just black or white.

Korean, Chinese, Arabic and Indian owned businesses thrive in black areas. I am quite sure the these communities don't reinvest in the black community either so that's also money gone bye bye.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Dec 2021, 3:07 am

Similarily to the origin of "white Christmas", I first interpreted the title meteorologically...
The easiest way to boycott "white businesses" is AliExpress but I'm quite sure that's not what the authors had in mind.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>