Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:02 am

Quote:
What Is Black Christmas, and What Does It Mean? The Black Lives Matter Movement (BLM) organizes a Christmas boycott of “White Companies” every year.
Jeff Salle by Jeff Salle December 3, 2021

Quote:
As part of their “Black Xmas” campaign, the Black Lives Matter movement is encouraging people to spend their money on Black-owned businesses during the holiday season.

From Black Friday to Christmas and New Year’s, the movement has urged people to boycott “white supremacist capitalism” by shopping at Black-owned businesses.

“A #Blackxmas is what we’re wishing for.” From November 26, 2021, to January 1, 2022, no money should be spent with white businesses,” according to the blackxmas.org website.

The campaign also encourages people to “move your money out of white corporate banks that finance our oppression” and into Black-owned banks, as well as donate in the names of family members as holiday gifts to support other Black organizations.

https://www.cengnews.com/news/what-is-b ... 88186.html

I was under the impression Christmas was a season of good will to all men people, regardless of race. :scratch:

The new BLM slogan:
Back towards Segregation. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:24 am

If the claim is that by shopping at "white" owned businesses, you are paricipating in “white supremacist capitalism”, then wouldn't this be a call for “black supremacist capitalism” - It's still capitalism, after all, with the only difference being a form of racism (focus on race - excluding those who are not of the "chosen" race, rather than on price\product quality\service\etc. for which the person is shopping for).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:43 am

Were those businesses able to reopen after being looted, vandalized and torched during the blm riots?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:53 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Were those businesses able to reopen after being looted, vandalized and torched during the blm riots?

OUCH! 8O :mrgreen:

I heard somewhere that in California(???), the laws have been amended to basically allow for shoplifting.
I.E. The punishment has become a slap on the hand misdemeanour.
Some businesses have relocated, as a consequence.

The suggestion was, the change was a form or wealth distribution by the progressives in power.
I have no idea how true that is. :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 4:57 pm

Shoplifting below a certain amount is always a misdemeanor.

Yep….there is lots of slaps on the wrist going on. And has been for years.

In some places, it takes a few misdemeanor convictions for a person to get jail time.

The most unpleasant time for these criminals is the arrest process.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 6:56 pm

Pepe wrote:

I heard somewhere that in California(???), the laws have been amended to basically allow for shoplifting.

The suggestion was, the change was a form or wealth distribution by the progressives in power.

As a Californian, I will say that what you’re hearing has one grain of truth and lot of messaging extension and expansion that lacks truth. I can explain it when I have more time later.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:52 pm

Pepe wrote:

I can get back to this now.

What we have in California is a relatively high misdemeanor dollar line for theft crimes. Everything below the dollar amount is a misdemeanor, not a felony, although a pattern of connected thefts can be added together to cross the threshold.

This law was enacted by PROPOSITION, ie directly by the VOTERS.

A year or two ago retailers tried to put through a proposition that would have added some teeth to help their issues with shoplifting, but the proposition was rejected by the voters because it was tied together with some more problematic changes.

The theory put forth in the original proposition for raising the misdemeanor line was that our jails were being clogged by minor offenders, often introducing them to a life of crime they might not have pursued otherwise. It was also shown that the previous laws were not evenly enforced, with harsher jail sentences handed out to offenders of color. And then there was the simple reality that even without raising the threshold, police departments rarely bothered to pursue the smaller crimes, regardless. The voter pamphlet contained well presented pro and con arguments from representations for both sides of the issue. Voters usually have an opportunity to read the wording of the proposed law, as well, but I doubt very many do.

While putting law making directly into the hands of voters may sound good, I've found such laws to always be flawed. Voters aren't great at looking for unintended consequences and loopholes, and tend to vote based on how they feel about the goals of a law, instead of how well the actual statute is worded and how likely to make those goals a reality. How many really read the pamphlet on it is open to debate, as well. Voters tend to assume the laws they pass can get fixed by legislators if tweaks are needed, but legislators are loath to mess with laws put in place through proposition, worried it will be seen as interfering with the will of the voters.

The current problem of "smash and grab" shoplifting gangs seems more pandemic related than designed to take advantage of the misdemeanor gap. The shoplifting gangs are hitting quite a few high end stores, and surely walking out with merchandise that exceeds the misdemeanor threshold. I'm not convinced A and B are related, as a result. The misdemeanor gap has definitely contributed to bike thefts, and small time shoplifting as well, but I feel the connection with "smash and grab" is more tenuous. Until more get caught and prosecuted, however, it is hard to know. The police are NOT treating the smash and grabs as they would a bike or common shoplifting theft; they ARE investigating.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:15 pm

It's of interest that the main reason black militant groups in the 1960s were subject to arbitrary assassinations and imprisonment by the FBI had nothing to do with their militancy or fears for the safety of white lives. It was because they advocated self-sufficiency.

One black leader Malcolm X was very specific that black Americans in the early 1960s want freedom from the tyrannical Jim crow laws they had been subjected to for the past 400 years then they should spend their money in black owned businesses and enrich their own community.

By curious coincidence, as his popularity soared he was conveniently assassinated in 1965. Since that time black Americans have been spending their hard earned money in largely white owned businesses.

BLM's black christmas is trying to recapture the spirit of the 1960s but the horse has long bolted. Black Americans are a significant economic group (in terms of spending) but they choose to spend their money on food, recreational/sports products, designer clothes, shoes, sportswear, cars and other goods produced by white owned businesses.

It kind of reminds me of socially responsible people who want to save the environment but don't want to give up their petrol cars or convert to a vegan diet if it means giving up their steak and pizza.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:31 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I can get back to this now.

What we have in California is a relatively high misdemeanor dollar line for theft crimes. Everything below the dollar amount is a misdemeanor, not a felony, although a pattern of connected thefts can be added together to cross the threshold.

This law was enacted by PROPOSITION, ie directly by the VOTERS.

A year or two ago retailers tried to put through a proposition that would have added some teeth to help their issues with shoplifting, but the proposition was rejected by the voters because it was tied together with some more problematic changes.

The theory put forth in the original proposition for raising the misdemeanor line was that our jails were being clogged by minor offenders, often introducing them to a life of crime they might not have pursued otherwise. It was also shown that the previous laws were not evenly enforced, with harsher jail sentences handed out to offenders of color. And then there was the simple reality that even without raising the threshold, police departments rarely bothered to pursue the smaller crimes, regardless. The voter pamphlet contained well presented pro and con arguments from representations for both sides of the issue. Voters usually have an opportunity to read the wording of the proposed law, as well, but I doubt very many do.

While putting law making directly into the hands of voters may sound good, I've found such laws to always be flawed. Voters aren't great at looking for unintended consequences and loopholes, and tend to vote based on how they feel about the goals of a law, instead of how well the actual statute is worded and how likely to make those goals a reality. How many really read the pamphlet on it is open to debate, as well. Voters tend to assume the laws they pass can get fixed by legislators if tweaks are needed, but legislators are loath to mess with laws put in place through proposition, worried it will be seen as interfering with the will of the voters.

The current problem of "smash and grab" shoplifting gangs seems more pandemic related than designed to take advantage of the misdemeanor gap. The shoplifting gangs are hitting quite a few high end stores, and surely walking out with merchandise that exceeds the misdemeanor threshold. I'm not convinced A and B are related, as a result. The misdemeanor gap has definitely contributed to bike thefts, and small time shoplifting as well, but I feel the connection with "smash and grab" is more tenuous. Until more get caught and prosecuted, however, it is hard to know. The police are NOT treating the smash and grabs as they would a bike or common shoplifting theft; they ARE investigating.

Isn't California a strong "Blue" State"?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 9:41 pm

Pepe wrote:
Isn't California a strong "Blue" State"?

Different regions vary but yes, overall, it is.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 10:12 pm

I am not trying to be pedantic or anything but how do they define what a white owned company or African American owned company is because every publically traded corporation including every major American blue chip company is owned by people of every race including African Americans.African Americans can be a owner of every major publically traded company through index funds ETFs mutual funds and single stocks.Just google Earl Crawley to see what I mean he was a great African American role model in Baltimore and he invested in numerous blue chips and he was legally considered an owner of each of them just the same as any White American.I think the best way to increase African American ownership of big companies would be to have more African Americans invest in the stock market.Someone is considered a owner of Altria if they have a share no matter their race.The IRS considered someone like Earl Crawley an owner no matter his race because he was paying taxes on them and I dont think the IRS would charge you taxes for dividends if you did not own the stock.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 11:48 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am not trying to be pedantic or anything but how do they define what a white owned company or African American owned company is because every publically traded corporation including every major American blue chip company is owned by people of every race including African Americans.African Americans can be a owner of every major publically traded company through index funds ETFs mutual funds and single stocks.Just google Earl Crawley to see what I mean he was a great African American role model in Baltimore and he invested in numerous blue chips and he was legally considered an owner of each of them just the same as any White American.I think the best way to increase African American ownership of big companies would be to have more African Americans invest in the stock market.Someone is considered a owner of Altria if they have a share no matter their race.The IRS considered someone like Earl Crawley an owner no matter his race because he was paying taxes on them and I dont think the IRS would charge you taxes for dividends if you did not own the stock.

These movements envision patronizing smaller, closely held, local businesses instead of larger, publicly traded ones. With a local business, you often know who owns it. There are also published lists one can look at; not sure the criteria for those. Etsy usually includes information on the shop owner who made the product, as well (I’ve gotten some of my favorite things off Etsy). Local craft fairs can provide another opportunity. But if you read the article, it also favors ditching a corporate consumerism driven Christmas entirely, and making donations in people’s names as a gift.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 12:23 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am not trying to be pedantic or anything but how do they define what a white owned company or African American owned company is because every publically traded corporation including every major American blue chip company is owned by people of every race including African Americans.African Americans can be a owner of every major publically traded company through index funds ETFs mutual funds and single stocks..

Excellent point. I think it would be better to say majority white owned companies.

Even black music industry is mostly owned/profits go to majority white owned music record companies.

Almost all the owners/coaches/agents/managers of black sportsmen are also white.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 1:01 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

These movements envision patronizing smaller, closely held, local businesses instead of larger, publicly traded ones. With a local business, you often know who owns it. There are also published lists one can look at; not sure the criteria for those. Etsy usually includes information on the shop owner who made the product, as well (I’ve gotten some of my favorite things off Etsy). Local craft fairs can provide another opportunity. But if you read the article, it also favors ditching a corporate consumerism driven Christmas entirely, and making donations in people’s names as a gift.

Okay thanks for clarifying that to me.I know of no published lists in my area of Texas that list ownership of local business but maybe California is different in that regard.It would be easier for me to look up who owns the controling interest to a single publically traded American company than say it is for me to find out who owns a given local businesses but thats just me.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 07 Dec 2021, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 1:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am not trying to be pedantic or anything but how do they define what a white owned company or African American owned company is because every publically traded corporation including every major American blue chip company is owned by people of every race including African Americans.African Americans can be a owner of every major publically traded company through index funds ETFs mutual funds and single stocks..

Excellent point. I think it would be better to say majority white owned companies.

Even black music industry is mostly owned/profits go to majority white owned music record companies.

Almost all the owners/coaches/agents/managers of black sportsmen are also white.

I agree.I would define majority white ownership as being at least 51 percent but thats just me.Thanks for liking my point.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 07 Dec 2021, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 1:18 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
What Is Black Christmas, and What Does It Mean? The Black Lives Matter Movement (BLM) organizes a Christmas boycott of “White Companies” every year.
Jeff Salle by Jeff Salle December 3, 2021

Quote:
As part of their “Black Xmas” campaign, the Black Lives Matter movement is encouraging people to spend their money on Black-owned businesses during the holiday season.

From Black Friday to Christmas and New Year’s, the movement has urged people to boycott “white supremacist capitalism” by shopping at Black-owned businesses.

“A #Blackxmas is what we’re wishing for.” From November 26, 2021, to January 1, 2022, no money should be spent with white businesses,” according to the blackxmas.org website.

The campaign also encourages people to “move your money out of white corporate banks that finance our oppression” and into Black-owned banks, as well as donate in the names of family members as holiday gifts to support other Black organizations.

https://www.cengnews.com/news/what-is-b ... 88186.html

I was under the impression Christmas was a season of good will to all men people, regardless of race. :scratch:

The new BLM slogan:
Back towards Segregation. 8)

Also how they are going to avoid buying oil and gas products like gasoline diesel jet fuel and natural gas and propane and power and plastic that came from white-owned oil and gas companies and oil and gas wells like mine.