Moving from Ireland to US - is it realistic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dermatillomanian
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2021, 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,
I have steadily over the last few years began to fall out of love with my home country and am seeking to move to the US as a preferred alternate place to live. I'm 29 (with a postgraduate diploma in Politics and Sociology) and have Aspergers and have yet to even move out of my parents house to somewhere else in Ireland (money being the issue). However, I believe the move can still be realistic as long as I get a comfortable job and an amicable landlord and housemates for wherever I would rent in the US (I would find it easier to rent in the US than Ireland because in Ireland I only want to rent alone whereas in the US I would be willing to share hence the cost involved on a monthly basis should be significantly lower).

I'm not looking to move to the South cos it's too dang hot there down and moving to big cities like NY, Boston, Philly and Chicago are out of the question too due to the high rent prices there. I believe I can settle into my new surroundings very well from a cultural and social point of view and won't find living in the US alone any harder than living in Ireland at home. The only real problems will be getting used to a new job (which I would get hired for before leaving Ireland) and getting on well with my new landlord and housemates.

However, do you guys think its as simple as that. Will finding a job be impossible? Will moving out be impossible? Or are there any other issues which would make this move unrealistic? (Rather than in my opinion, completely plausible)

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 1:07 pm

Canada, if you can get in, is a much better option than the craphole known as the USA. We hardly have any form of social safety net here. The only things we have to offer here are gargantuan medical bills and religious extremism.

#palestinianlivesmatter

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 2:32 pm

And guns

/Mats

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:24 pm

Dermatillomanian wrote:
Will finding a job be impossible?

Depends on what field you're looking for employment in, I guess.

What are your career goals, and what are your skills? What is your educational background? And what are you currently doing for a living?

Also, why do you want to move to the U.S.A.? What attracts you here?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:26 pm

Australia, New Zealand and Scandinavia have the highest quality of life in the world.

The US is a nice place to visit.....but to live?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 1:53 pm

The US is not a craphole…but it’s not very welcoming to immigrants, either.

Most people aren’t racists, or religious extremists. People who say that are stereotyping Americans.

Probably the best thing to do is to get a student visa, then get a job with an employer who sponsors you. It’s practically impossible to get a Green Card unless you marry an American citizen, or get sponsored.

I happen to admire the beauty of Ireland myself.

I would talk to an American immigration lawyer, and tell him/her your situation.

Cloakedwand72
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2021, 7:39 pm

Dermatillomanian wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have steadily over the last few years began to fall out of love with my home country and am seeking to move to the US as a preferred alternate place to live. I'm 29 (with a postgraduate diploma in Politics and Sociology) and have Aspergers and have yet to even move out of my parents house to somewhere else in Ireland (money being the issue). However, I believe the move can still be realistic as long as I get a comfortable job and an amicable landlord and housemates for wherever I would rent in the US (I would find it easier to rent in the US than Ireland because in Ireland I only want to rent alone whereas in the US I would be willing to share hence the cost involved on a monthly basis should be significantly lower).

I'm not looking to move to the South cos it's too dang hot there down and moving to big cities like NY, Boston, Philly and Chicago are out of the question too due to the high rent prices there. I believe I can settle into my new surroundings very well from a cultural and social point of view and won't find living in the US alone any harder than living in Ireland at home. The only real problems will be getting used to a new job (which I would get hired for before leaving Ireland) and getting on well with my new landlord and housemates.

However, do you guys think its as simple as that. Will finding a job be impossible? Will moving out be impossible? Or are there any other issues which would make this move unrealistic? (Rather than in my opinion, completely plausible)
Canada/Australia/New Zealand are better options then my country. Our country has been going through a lot the past year with all the riots and racism & political devisions etc. Also the ladder mention places I mentioned aren’t that hated by the global community that much as my hell hole country.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Most people aren’t racists, or religious extremists. People who say that are stereotyping Americans.

Probably the best thing to do is to get a student visa, then get a job with an employer who sponsors you. It’s practically impossible to get a Green Card unless you marry an American citizen, or get sponsored.

I would talk to an American immigration lawyer, and tell him/her your situation.

I think its easier for an Irish national to migrate to Australia or NZ than it would be to migrate to Canada and the US. Canada does, however, has some nice cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

I think America has many disadvantages for new migrants in terms of cost of living/wages, healthcare and education. Scandanavia is probably the best option (I have cousins who live/work in Denmark and Sweden and married to locals, once you know the local language it's perfect).

For the OP, however, the grey skies and rolling hills may be something she's lived with all her life in Ireland (the landscapes and inclement weather are similar) so she may prefer the warmer sunny climes of Australia and New Zealand.

Cloakedwand72
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yeah it is our society is racist and afraid of communism for some reason.

OutUponATreeBranch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2021, 3:07 am

Why the hell would you want to move here, we're all as*holes.

That being said, it's probably easier to move here than other places. But why would you want to?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 4:04 am

OutUponATreeBranch wrote:
That being said, it's probably easier to move here than other places. But why would you want to?

The US green card is jumping through hoops. As an Irish national she can virtually walk into Australia.

Dermatillomanian
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2022, 10:24 am

Just wanted to ask a question about rent price ranges (which don't exist in Ireland).

Are they merely a way to hustle as much money as possible out of gullible tenants or can they actually be set quite low?

For example, if I was to agree to rent an apartment with a price range of 460-800 bucks, how likely is it that the price range would fall below 600 bucks?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 10:59 am

Depends on the location, even some rural towns have very high rent and some not. Lots of info on the web, find a possible job location, then look for the cost of living in that area.

I don't understand why you feel there would be a difference with living with roommates in Ireland and the US. Can you expand on this, why roommates in US would be attractive?

Have you considered a student visa?

Have you travelled here?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 6:27 pm

The OP posted this exactly 1 month ago, perhaps she has made the journey already?

Dermatillomanian
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2022, 2:30 pm

txfz1 wrote:
Depends on the location, even some rural towns have very high rent and some not. Lots of info on the web, find a possible job location, then look for the cost of living in that area.

I don't understand why you feel there would be a difference with living with roommates in Ireland and the US. Can you expand on this, why roommates in US would be attractive?

Have you considered a student visa?

Have you travelled here?

I'd just be ok with roommates in the US as I'd be happy for any type of accommodation, whereas in Ireland I can fell more picky over not living with people.

I could get a student visa, but when that ran out, wouldn't I be in no better a situation than when I first came.

I haven't traveled there yet, but the only thing I'm worried about is finding a job

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2022, 2:34 pm

If I had the money, I'd move to California, in a heartbeat. Like Prince Harry. Despite it being at risk of falling in the ocean.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)