Anybody feel the holidays offer chances to "break the ice?"

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 3:49 pm

From my personal experiences: I feel that discussing my experiences with arts programs serving developmentally disabled adults can be that conversational icebreaker.

The holidays might offer opportunities for meeting new (or reacquainting) with people............... who are receptive to better understanding adults on the Autism Spectrum - who are largely independent.

Anybody familiar with people receptive to the concerns of adults on the Autism Spectrum - who are largely independent? If yes, get together with them - esp. in small groups of up to five people.

At this time, I'm looking to become acquainted with owners of my local art galleries, restaurants, and coffee-houses who have displayed the artworks of adults on the Autism Spectrum.

From my own personal experiences on the Autism Spectrum, small-talk has become a good social-skill. Hence, note those overlooked opportunities to expand beyond small-talk to "break the ice"............with people who might just be receptive to interacting adults on the Autism Spectrum - who are largely independent!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 1:19 pm

I recently went to a get together (with fewer than five people) with an awesome family friend I hadn't seen in a while.

Seated at a dining table, I had spent most of the time listening to the dynamics of the conversations, and was glad to have mastered the art of thoughtfully chiming-in to conversations however briefly.

A good sign at small gatherings - the food: Fresh baked goods, and fresh gourmet coffee were served and enjoyed by everybody.

Most important, I was also delighted to share, and offer additional servings of baked goods, and coffee to our guests. Best to refrain from eating solo away from the table. Those table manners "drummed-in" over the years paid off!!

A word to the wise, "the people who overlook manners, stay away from them!!"