Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

apex116
Raven
Raven

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 104

06 Dec 2021, 5:35 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/autism/comments/dywn2w/what_made_you_realize_you_were_on_the_spectrum_im/

Perhaps we could follow up on the points made on this forum post and see if there are any further individuals who wish to contribute their own personal experiences?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,013
Location: Stendec

06 Dec 2021, 5:37 pm

Perhaps you could list all the salient points that were made in the Reddit conversation instead of expecting the rest of us to wade through the entire thread to find them.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 5:47 pm

yes, i contributed to the forum telling them when i found out [1984, army social worker told me].



apex116
Raven
Raven

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 104

06 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Perhaps you could list all the salient points that were made in the Reddit conversation instead of expecting the rest of us to wade through the entire thread to find them.


Whilst I appreciate your opinion, If I was to list all the salient points, would it really be considered salient :lol: :

https://alltop.com/viral/looking-for-examples-of-salient-points



apex116
Raven
Raven

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 104

06 Dec 2021, 5:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
yes, i contributed to the forum telling them when i found out [1984, army social worker told me].


What a coincidence, it certainly seems a very interesting story; perhaps could you expand?



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 5:55 pm

apex116 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
yes, i contributed to the forum telling them when i found out [1984, army social worker told me].


What a coincidence, it certainly seems a very interesting story; perhaps could you expand?

i will do my best to avoid a TL:DR for you. my shrink in private life was called by the army recruiter to verify if i was qualified in his professional opinion [he was a retired army officer] that i could serve, and he wrote them a note to that effect. i didn't find out about the note until i looked over my old army records and found it. this was decades ago so i don't remember the exact language but that i had autistic traits but was smart enough to manage it. in AIT [advanced training after basic] there was a reservist army social worker who chatted me up and told me that out of the blue.



apex116
Raven
Raven

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 104

06 Dec 2021, 6:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:
apex116 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
yes, i contributed to the forum telling them when i found out [1984, army social worker told me].


What a coincidence, it certainly seems a very interesting story; perhaps could you expand?

i will do my best to avoid a TL:DR for you. my shrink in private life was called by the army recruiter to verify if i was qualified in his professional opinion [he was a retired army officer] that i could serve, and he wrote them a note to that effect. i didn't find out about the note until i looked over my old army records and found it. this was decades ago so i don't remember the exact language but that i had autistic traits but was smart enough to manage it. in AIT [advanced training after basic] there was a reservist army social worker who chatted me up and told me that out of the blue.


Well congratulations to you, I think the blanket ban on autistic people serving is unjustified as each autistic individual is different to the next.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 6:26 pm

apex116 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
apex116 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
yes, i contributed to the forum telling them when i found out [1984, army social worker told me].


What a coincidence, it certainly seems a very interesting story; perhaps could you expand?

i will do my best to avoid a TL:DR for you. my shrink in private life was called by the army recruiter to verify if i was qualified in his professional opinion [he was a retired army officer] that i could serve, and he wrote them a note to that effect. i didn't find out about the note until i looked over my old army records and found it. this was decades ago so i don't remember the exact language but that i had autistic traits but was smart enough to manage it. in AIT [advanced training after basic] there was a reservist army social worker who chatted me up and told me that out of the blue.


Well congratulations to you, I think the blanket ban on autistic people serving is unjustified as each autistic individual is different to the next.

the army didn't want me to reup. when i was inducted the vietnam-era GIs were retiring en masse and there was a crying need for certain military occupational specialties [MOS], and mine was one. then towards the late 80s the army got full again. army has something called QMP [qualitative management program] and it is either "up or OUT" [meaning if you don't get promoted to a leadership position they don't want you in]. saw lots of this happening all around me. army seems to think it needs more bosses than bossees.



apex116
Raven
Raven

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 104

06 Dec 2021, 6:35 pm

auntblabby wrote:
apex116 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
apex116 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
yes, i contributed to the forum telling them when i found out [1984, army social worker told me].


What a coincidence, it certainly seems a very interesting story; perhaps could you expand?

i will do my best to avoid a TL:DR for you. my shrink in private life was called by the army recruiter to verify if i was qualified in his professional opinion [he was a retired army officer] that i could serve, and he wrote them a note to that effect. i didn't find out about the note until i looked over my old army records and found it. this was decades ago so i don't remember the exact language but that i had autistic traits but was smart enough to manage it. in AIT [advanced training after basic] there was a reservist army social worker who chatted me up and told me that out of the blue.


Well congratulations to you, I think the blanket ban on autistic people serving is unjustified as each autistic individual is different to the next.

the army didn't want me to reup. when i was inducted the vietnam-era GIs were retiring en masse and there was a crying need for certain military occupational specialties [MOS], and mine was one. then towards the late 80s the army got full again. army has something called QMP [qualitative management program] and it is either "up or OUT" [meaning if you don't get promoted to a leadership position they don't want you in]. saw lots of this happening all around me. army seems to think it needs more bosses than bossees.


Well you served your country well and I hope the rest of the forum will show you the highest level of respect in the future.

Of course I'm also happy to know of anyone else who has served in the military as an autistic person regardless of their nationality.

Could some more autistic veterans tell me of their story?



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 6:40 pm

^^^thank you :heart: WP's Fnord is another military vet, who had considerably more success in the service, a naval military officer was he. a boss. Campin' Cat [haven't seen her a while here] is yet another, she was also a retired naval officer.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 6:42 pm

for various reasons, there really aren't many of us here at all.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 82,033
Location: Queens, NYC

06 Dec 2021, 6:44 pm

I would have been a cross between Gomer Pyle and Private Pyle in "Full Metal Jacket."



apex116
Raven
Raven

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 104

06 Dec 2021, 6:46 pm

Fantastic, I'm going asleep now but upon awaking I would love to be surprised of numerous personal accounts of those with Autism who have served in the military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdPQbqj_lQ



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 6:47 pm

^^^i wish you luck for your thread. :star:



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,631
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Dec 2021, 6:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would have been a cross between Gomer Pyle and Private Pyle in "Full Metal Jacket."

i happen to believe you prolly would have been at least as adequate a military member as i was and quite likely better. many of us were somewhere between both Pyles.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 82,033
Location: Queens, NYC

06 Dec 2021, 8:01 pm

If we would have been bunkies, that would have been cool! :)