Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2021, 3:48 am

I'm looking into my options for getting assessed and I currently have health insurance at work so I thought maybe I could take advantage of it. I have Bupa cover, but whether or not they will cover an autism assessment seems like it is on someone's whim really. From what I understand the process is:

- I have to have a consultancy first with a psychiatrist who will decide whether I should be assessed or not. It needs to be on the basis of having a mental health condition though, rather than me just saying that I suspect I am autistic. The assessment is to rule out autism where a mental health condition is present, according to my policy.

- They write up a report to Bupa with information about who will carry out the assessment, costs, reasons for the assessment etc.

- Bupa will then decide whether they feel like covering it or not.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience of getting assessed this way and how it went? I'm not sure I like the idea of having someone decide whether I should be assessed or not. :\

Jdjsn7725
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2022, 4:27 pm

Hi, I’m in the same position as you for my daughter. We’ve been told the same by Bupa.

How did you get on trying to get an assessment through Bupa

debz101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2022, 2:13 pm

I just got my autism diagnosis through bupa, my mum was the one that talked to them but from what i can see, autism is included in their definition of a mental health condition so if you find a professional through the bupa directory that mentions autism in their profile, that person should be able to give you an initial assessment and a diagnosis. Good luck!