Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 5:30 pm

-- HFAs delayed language development is never in ASs

Apparently I had language difficulties but was still diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.

-- ASs have at least average IQ which is not the rule in HFAs

I have average IQ I think, but there are some areas I feel I have learning difficulties.

-- ASs have fine motor skills problems which HFAs do not have to

I think anyone on the spectrum with fine motor skills problems also have dyspraxia. I don't think I have dyspraxia, although I find some fiddly tasks hard to do but other fiddly tasks I can do well.

-- ASs have a Theory of Mind problem HFAs do not

I don't have ToM problems.

-- ASs generally have laser hyper-focus ability HFAs do not

If this means being unaware of your surroundings when hyperfocusing then I don't have this. I don't hyperfocus much, and when I am focusing on something I'm still aware of any sound or movement around me.

-- ASs normally cannot explain their social impairments while HFAs can

My social difficulties are so very complex and mild that it's hard for me, or anyone else, to explain what social difficulties I have.

-- ASs tend to see social constructs HFAs and NTs cannot

How can Asperger's people see things NTs and autistics not? I didn't think that was possible. We're "closer" to NT than what autism is.

-- ASs tend to have intense and narrow interest(s) which HFAs do not

Wait, autistic people don't have narrow interests?
I used to have obsessions (like intense crushes and admirations with certain people) but I don't think I've had narrow interests.

-- ASs tend to have a strong sense of right and wrong which HFAs do not

I've always been relatively clear on what's right and what's wrong.

-- ASs tend to bluntly say whatever truth of theirs comes to mind which HFAs do not

I don't accidentally be blunt, I can only be blunt on purpose (like when passive aggressive), which isn't often.

-- ASs tend to have compulsive needs to correct errors which HFAs do not

Spelling mistakes or sentences written in a way that doesn't make sense often causes distress for me. I want to correct them but it tends to offend people so I have to resist the urge.

I'm (hopefully) ADHD.

the xpax
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2021, 3:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
True.

Wrong. HFA is also defined by average to above-average intelligence, language delay is supposed to be the difference

To be diagnosed one has to have most of, not all of the traits.

Theory of Mind deficits is thought to be a key autistic trait. This is controversial.

In 8 years here I have not noticed that about HFA's

In my time here I have read plenty of Aspies that understand their social impairments.

NT's generally are superior in understanding these. It is theirs, they set them up, thus the "Wrong Planet" analogy.

News to me

?????????????

-- ASs tend to bluntly say whatever truth of theirs comes to mind which HFAs do not
Not having a filter is an autistic trait. Aspies do not have a monopoly on this.

News to me, that HFA's do not

The DSM is essentially for and by researchers and statisticians, not clinicians, who are sick and tired of having AS complicate their work.
The DSM is for insurance companies and almost everybody is sick and tired of them complicating their work.

forcing Clinicians to call AS autism or lose their license to practice
Wrong, the DSM5 is a guideline that is not always followed. They do not have the power to take away licenses. We have members diagnosed with Aspergers after it was "killed". We have members diagnosed with High Functioning Autism which is not a diagnosis in any manual. Clinicians are usually NT's so a lot of them do not follow the manual literally. They fit the patients' actual conditions to the manual language often in a way that is profitable for themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Sir/Madam,

If it behoves you to cast negative aspersions upon educated facts, I refer you to Dr Tony Attwood's many books on Asperger's Syndrome, also "Asperger Syndrome in Adulthood" A Comprehensive Guide for Clinicians by Kevin Stoddard, Lillian Burke and Robert King -- its first chapter explains differences between AS and autism.

Thank you for your reply.

the xpax
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2021, 3:39 pm

the xpax wrote:

They can kill us off on paper, forcing Clinicians to call AS autism or lose their license to practice, but they cannot murder us out of existence.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Poster,

If you look at Dr Tony Attwood's latest asperger book, you will note in it's title the name "Aspergers" had to be accompanied by the bracketed name "Autism Level III" or he would not have been able to publish it.

Thank you for your comment.

------------------------------------------------------------------

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm

the xpax wrote:
the xpax wrote:

They can kill us off on paper, forcing Clinicians to call AS autism or lose their license to practice, but they cannot murder us out of existence.

Thank you.

Dear Poster,

If you look at Dr Tony Attwood's latest asperger book, you will note in it's title the name "Aspergers" had to be accompanied by the bracketed name "Autism Level III" or he would not have been able to publish it.

What? Isn't Autism level III the most severe level of Autism? Asperger's would be level I.

I haven't paid much attention to the new diagnostic levels.

the xpax
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2021, 2:13 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
the xpax wrote:
the xpax wrote:

Thank you.

Dear Poster,

What? Isn't Autism level III the most severe level of Autism? Asperger's would be level I.
i
I haven't paid much attention to the new diagnostic levels.

Hello! Thank you for replying,

The new DSM 5.0 gave the diagnosis of Autism Disorder 3 levels.
Level 1 is the most severe cases of Autistic Disorder, ie: normally cannot talk, worst off in the Disorder.
Level 2 people have more communication and may be barely Disordered.
Level 3 was invented to represent "highly functioning autistic": HFAs. It is where the DSM Committee's researchers and statisticians who have always hated Asperger's Syndrome or "AS" (a Syndrome not a Disorder like autism) for it complicating their research and statistics, has declared now includes all "former" aspies. Aspergers is regarded as level III, the "least" autistic.
But only in countries that use the DSM. In countries that use the ICD diagnostic manual instead, there AS is still a "legal" and valid diagnosis by itself.

Have a great day Blitzkrieg!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 2:51 pm

In the next edition of the ICD manual Aspergers goes away.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2021, 3:01 pm

You've got that backwards. Level 3 needs the most help while level 1 needs the least.

DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria - ASD

the xpax wrote:
Hello! Thank you for replying,

The new DSM 5.0 gave the diagnosis of Autism Disorder 3 levels.
Level 1 is the most severe cases of Autistic Disorder, ie: normally cannot talk, worst off in the Disorder.
Level 2 people have more communication and may be barely Disordered.
Level 3 was invented to represent "highly functioning autistic": HFAs. It is where the DSM Committee's researchers and statisticians who have always hated Asperger's Syndrome or "AS" (a Syndrome not a Disorder like autism) for it complicating their research and statistics, has declared now includes all "former" aspies. Aspergers is regarded as level III, the "least" autistic.
But only in countries that use the DSM. In countries that use the ICD diagnostic manual instead, there AS is still a "legal" and valid diagnosis by itself.

Have a great day Blitzkrieg!

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 4:59 pm

the xpax wrote:
Greetings !

Firstly, I had to test negative for autism before aspergers was even allowed to be tested for.
And that under criteria 'f' in DSM IV-TR.
The ICD 10 manual still diagnoses Asperger's Syndrome.

Now eleven points of difference between aspies (ASs) and the DSM's highly functioning autistics (HFAs):

There are more. Aspies are not highly functioning autistics.
The DSM is essentially for and by researchers and statisticians, not clinicians, who are sick and tired of having AS complicate their work. And so in DSM 5.0 (they have changed to decimals for ease of naming any future text revisions) AS is simply declared to be autism where they had held it must not be. The DSM Committee essentially said 'gee, sorry, the sky is really purple with polka dots after all' wanting to ignore aspergers out of existence.

Thank you.

Yea, I hate how authorities claiming that aspegers syndrome is autism. Why the f**k they collape the diagnoasing, it sucks.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:06 pm

I hate it when people with little or no formal education in a field of study criticize the experts in that same field.

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 6:20 pm

AS is not autism. They are differet diseases.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 6:32 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:

I think Fnord hates you.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 6:50 pm

NoMoreRegrets94 wrote:

I don't think AS or autism are diseases. Some diseases are untreatable and can kill you. AS and autism doesn't. Other diseases need treatment otherwise they can kill you. If a disease doesn't kill you it can be cured instead. AS and autism can't be cured (unfortunately).

AS and autism are neurodevelopmental disorders.