Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 2:20 pm

I've been very worried that because I collect plushies, play video games and read Moomin comics that I'm not good enough to work with people who are obsessed with boring romance novels that are sold at the supermarket and watch shows that aren't fantasy and cartoons.

I just feel so stuck at my mental age. My chronological age is starting to show but I still feel way younger on the inside and due to this, I wouldn't last a day in the corporate world.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 2:47 pm

Those interests of yours may make it hard to hold conversations with colleagues but they have nothing to do with your capability of working.

BTW I love Moomin!

/Mats

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 2:54 pm

mohsart wrote:
Those interests of yours may make it hard to hold conversations with colleagues but they have nothing to do with your capability of working.

BTW I love Moomin!

/Mats

Moomin and Calvin and Hobbes are the only books I feel like reading at this point in my life. :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 3:13 pm

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 08 Dec 2021, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 3:37 pm

Have you considered working in a toy shop?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 3:59 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:

I have. I think that would be a really good fit, actually.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 4:37 pm

Most jobs, actually, are not within the "corporate world," per se.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

What do you mean? When I think of a job, I think of three piece suits and forced social gatherings outside of work.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:30 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

What do you mean? When I think of a job, I think of three piece suits and forced social gatherings outside of work.

your interests might make it hard to have conversations or relationships with coworkers, but your interests won't stop you from getting a job. not everyone likes romance novels. at my job, the past year, i have seen one person reading a romance novel, and it was not even an employee.

restaurant, retail, sales, warehouse, manual labor, (minimum wage jobs, menial labor)

not everyone works in an office

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 7:52 am

Even somebody like a construction contractor, a very well-paying job, usually doesn’t work in an office.

I work in an office for a criminal court. I’m not in the corporate realm.

I can wear sweatpants and a t-shirt to work, if I wanted to.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 1:55 pm

I love anime, cartoons, animated movies, kpop and things mostly teenagers are interested in. I managed to survive two workplaces (both offices) until now. Although i didn't really share my interests with my coworkers(much)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 2:04 pm

I am a person of the male persuasion. But I dont give a crap, nor know crap, about sports. So I am deeply impaired when it comes to making small talk with other men in job situations. But I still manage to hold down jobs. And get along fairly well with folks.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 2:22 pm

I've been very worried that because I collect plushies, play video games and read Moomin comics that I'm not good enough to work with people who are obsessed with boring romance novels that are sold at the supermarket and watch shows that aren't fantasy and cartoons.

I just feel so stuck at my mental age. My chronological age is starting to show but I still feel way younger on the inside and due to this, I wouldn't last a day in the corporate world.

I think you may be underestimating people. Most people have to put their personal lives aside when they step into the workplace. You never truly know who you are working with or what they get upto outside of the office, shop, factory etc.

My daughter for example is 30 years old. She collects cookie monster and jellycat things. But she's completed two degrees and she applying to do her PhD and she also holds down a really respectable job at the court. It's really hard for me to picture her as a professional in that setting because it's completely opposite to how she is with me at home. She has autism too BTW.

Sometimes you just have to put a different hat on if you know what I mean. Either that of get a job at the trampoline Park or in a toy shop.

As for me, well I struggle to be someone different in the workplace but I'm still here it just means I've never been able to stay anywhere for too long.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 3:57 pm

What you do at home shouldn't affect your independence, if you are capable of being independent that is. I like kiddies stuff, but I'm in a serious relationship with an NT guy, I have a stable job and I'm able to take care of myself.

I know a 27-year-old NT who likes the Jacqueline Wilson books, and it's not nostalgia because she didn't even know about Jacqueline Wilson when she was a child. She told me she bought all the books and enjoys reading them. But that doesn't mean she's incapable of working, being married and going out to parties with her friends.

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2021, 3:17 am

I'm 33 and I'm still playing Pokémon games and I've been working with no issues (other than social ones :P). What you enjoy outside of work doesn't effect your ability to work - they only care about if you can do the job.

Sometimes you may get lucky and find that your childlike interests can actually be useful. For example, my manager's son (think he's around 7 or 8 years old) loves playing Pokémon. I've been battling, trading and helping him with the games so I am actually on pretty good terms with my manager now. :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 6:51 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:

I have. I think that would be a really good fit, actually.

I was going to suggest this. Not all jobs are "corporate," and workplaces like toy stores, game shops, video game stores, hobby stores, music & memorabilia, comic book stores etc all exist and need employees who like being surrounded by those things and helping customers find exactly what they're looking for.

edit:

The world Also needs people who are good at relating to children to work with children. Daycare, preschool/early childhood education, boys & girls clubs and other after school programs etc.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 28 Dec 2021, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.