Do you believe in authenticity/being yourself?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pepperjelly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2021, 10:00 pm

I believe most people are hard-wired to take advantage of perceived weakness. (Look at Pirates of Silicon Valley, the constant lying, manipulating, cheating, and taking advantage of that goes on in relationships ). So I can no longer be vulnerable or naively assume people won't stab your back the second it's advantageous to them. I try to treat everyone with respect and can't expect the same in return, so my "true self" is buried at times under self-defense mechanisms. Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2021, 11:11 pm

Absolutely! Nothing else makes any sense! It does require work to make my definition of "being myself" fully correct and right; but that's fine and great. Better mine than anyone elses, or worse left danglingly undefined for others to mess with me sbout ! !

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:15 am

Yes.

I define it more about being aligned with one's highest of values, knowing one's priorities in life, and unlearning or letting go of influence that does not serve instead of just the baseline definition of being 'natural'.

We're not babies. We're not children.
And personality of all situations and timelines are not the end all, be all of a person's development or even identity.
We're not the same person or even the same body 7+ years ago.

There's also living in acceptance without stagnation or use it as some form of bypassing and coping mechanism.
And also being the best version of one's self in every living moment, instead of what ifs and should haves.

I know who I'm. What I'm. What I want... Everything is just interpretations, translations, conditions, or are impermanent or hoarded...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:49 am

Somewhere there has to be a line between polite and socially acceptable behavior and anarchy. I think having good manners and not deliberately offending others is probably a good thing. Going completely the other direction and being rude, obnoxious, running rampant to "do your own thing" regardless of situation or concurrent activities of others is not going to win the acceptance and confident interaction of others. On one had we "set ourselves free" boldly proclaiming our "true selves" and on the other we wonder why we are not able to connect with others, demanding acceptance and appreciation. If a person wears a scuba diving wet suit to a wedding reception they might be doing their own thing and being authentic, but they should probably not lament, or at least should seek other company in other places, if others look askance.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 12:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe in "being polite." It's not really "faking."

When I was in my 20s, I used to want to present a "rebellious, Beat image." People saw right through me. I was actually a very "square" type. So I acted more like myself as I got older. I acted like a person who likes to dress sort of conservatively----but is "liberal" in thought.

People tend to associate "being nasty" with "being real." I really don't agree with that.

Ha, very good post sir!!

btw Ive always dressed square because I think I look square.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2021, 1:15 pm

BugsBunnyFan wrote:
I kind of don’t. None of those are well-defined terms. I guess a better term for me would be sustainable. I can sustain changing the way my voice sounds since I hate my natural voice with a passion. I’m used to changing it, so it’s no big deal for me most of the time. I can also dress in a way where I more or less blend in, but still express myself. I like style to communicate for me a lot of the time. I’ve also tried to get better at keeping up with current events to avoid talking about special interests.

Absolutely. In fact, these days authenticity is the only goal I have.

As for being polite; it's not really an issue for me. I am authentically a kind person. That means I like to show kindness to people whenever I can. Who knows better than those of us on the spectrum that kindness doesn't look the same to everyone. For a NT kid, it might be a kindness to have a huge birthday party with noise-makers, strobe lights, and conga lines. For a ND kid, this would almost certainly be a cruelty. In trying to be kind to someone I might do something that it outside of my comfort zone but it's not being fake - it's being true to that kind part of me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 1:33 pm

I believe in being myself when I can behave like an adult, but not if I'm feeling self-centered like a child.
My ex took the character she played for counselling, which was a total farce.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:20 pm

Lots of people take "be yourself" too literally. Being yourself doesn't mean do what you'd do at home. It just means don't push yourself too hard to be someone you're not. Just relax a little, if you're shy admit it, show that you're shy but still be friendly. Then people will see that you're shy and might come to you. If you cover up your shyness by trying to be the opposite, you may end up scaring people away or annoying them. So to be yourself means to relax and not try to put too much pressure on yourself. This also applies to a lot of neurotypicals too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:21 pm

If I try to be "somebody else," people see right through me. I'm a terrible actor.

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2021, 7:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Lots of people take "be yourself" too literally. Being yourself doesn't mean do what you'd do at home. It just means don't push yourself too hard to be someone you're not. Just relax a little, if you're shy admit it, show that you're shy but still be friendly. Then people will see that you're shy and might come to you. If you cover up your shyness by trying to be the opposite, you may end up scaring people away or annoying them. So to be yourself means to relax and not try to put too much pressure on yourself. This also applies to a lot of neurotypicals too.

“Be yourself” often seems to be code for “be how I expect you to be.” If someone sees me as a nerdy aspie, they might think I’m not being myself when I express interest in fashion or other non-nerdy interests.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 7:07 pm

"Make yourself at home" actually means "learn the routine in this home, and fit into it."

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 7:08 pm

The_Znof wrote:

Ha, very good post sir!!

btw Ive always dressed square because I think I look square.

I get it now, you the anti-fonz, fonz reversed is znof, fonz was the epitome of cool in happy days , fonz was the opposite of square (never watched it,so i think thats right)

Have i read to much into that ? I guess i can be prone to spurious assumptions.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 1:05 am

I'm a strong believer of being myself. I wear a lot of pea green because I love that colour. I also enjoy having my hair a certain length.