Jussie Smollett found guilty of fake hate crime.

Page 6 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 8:40 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
The court of public opinion is entirely different and separate from a court of law. Juries are required to view the evidence and set aside any chatter they may have absorbed before the trial. During the trial they are supposed to avoid discussing or reading about the case.

In theory. In practice juries are fully aware of the backstory in high profile cases and are prone to bias in the media and/or their own biases.
Overall US juries (made of predominantly white jurors) haven't exactly had a "sterling" reputation during trials involving black plaintiffs in the last 100 years.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 11:55 pm

Quote:
(CNN)A special prosecutor asked to investigate the initial resolution of the case against actor Jussie Smollett for making false reports of a hate crime to the Chicago Police Department determined last year that the Cook County State's Attorney's Office and State Attorney Kim Foxx engaged in "substantial abuses" in the case.

Smollett was initially charged in a 16-count indictment in early March 2019, just over a month after the purported attack. Foxx recused herself from the case about a week later, days before charges were suddenly dropped. Amid criticism, Foxx asked for a special prosecutor to be appointed to investigate her office's handling of the case.

The report released Monday alleged "abuses of "discretion and operational failures" by the office in prosecuting and resolving the initial case, false or misleading statements about the reason for the initial dismissal of charges, false or misleading statements about Foxx's recusal from the case and by Foxx herself about when she stopped communicating with Smollett's sister, Jurnee Smollett.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/20/us/smollett-special-prosecutor-report/index.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 8:19 pm

Jussie Smollett gets 150 days in jail for faking hate crime against himself

Quote:
Jussie Smollett was sentenced to 150 days in jail by a Chicago judge on Thursday for lying to police about a politically charged robbery and hate crime that he staged against himself.

The sentence also includes 30 months probation and $120,000 in restitution to the city of Chicago.

“I am not suicidal," he exclaimed in court after sentencing. "If anything happens to me when I go in there, you must all know that."

The former “Empire” actor, who insisted on his innocence throughout the proceedings and after his sentence was read, had potentially faced up to three years in prison for each count, though Judge James Linn said Thursday he did not believe the case as it stood could result in multiple consecutive three-year terms.

Pointing to Smollett’s family history of fighting social injustice, however, Linn said in his sentencing, "The hypocrisy is just astounding."

"The only thing I can find is that you really craved the attention," he added.

Several of Smollett’s friends and family members appeared in court to plead for leniency

Statements supporting Smollett, who on the advice of counsel declined to comment on Thursday, were also read on behalf of the Black Lives Matter movement, NAACP President Derrick Johnson, actor Samuel L. Jackson and Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow Push Coalition.

At the beginning of Smollett’s sentencing, one of his defense attorneys, Tina Glandian, unsuccessfully argued a motion for a new trial. One of the issues she raised was that the defense should have played a greater role during jury selection.

Linn pushed back on Glandian’s remarks, saying some of the questions for potential jurors submitted by the defense included, “What kind of animal would you like to be?” or “Superman or Batman: what do you prefer”

“There is nothing worse than to be the victim of a hate crime,” Linn said before announcing his sentence. “And I believe that you did damage to real hate crimes, to hate crime victims."

"Your very name has become an adverb for lying."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 8:24 pm

He's gonna be very popular in there. Hope his hate turns into sweet love. :lol: :lmao:

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 9:30 pm

I think Jussie may be a little frightened. His defense arguing for a retrial because they didn't do their job was priceless.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:43 pm

I imagine his fellow inmates will be calling him "Juicy"

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I imagine his fellow inmates will be calling him "Juicy"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 2:30 am

Quote:
‘I’m not suicidal’: Jussie Smollett launches into bizarre rant after being sentenced to prison
4 hours ago

Disgraced actor Jussie Smollett has launched into a bizarre rant in the aftermath of being sentenced to prison for orchestrating a fake hate crime in 2019.

Smollett has been sentenced to 150 days in jail for lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack that he had staged on himself.

Before being hauled off to prison, the 39-year-old implied he may be physically harmed while incarcerated.

Smollett has also been sentenced to 30 months of felony probation, and ordered to pay $120,106 ($AUD 163,586) in restitution – as well as a $25,000 fine

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/u ... erallPos=9

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 10:45 pm

His rant got him a psych evaluation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 12:07 am

txfz1 wrote:
His rant got him a psych evaluation.

He didn't kill anyone though

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 1:06 am

Jussie Smollett Case | Mental Health and Personality | Victim Narcissist?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 1:24 am

150 days. He'll probably spend that in PC aka protective custody aka "punk city".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 1:29 am

Jussie Smollet Case Analysis (Update) | Did Jussie Plan a Hoax? | Dangers of Victim Narcissists

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 6:48 am

I saw his courtroom rant on TV news.

He is nothing if not a good actor. Would have convinced me if...what he was claiming werent so preposterous. That being that he is innocent, and that the attack was real. Should be given an academy award for best starring role as a martyr - to display in his prison cell.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 6:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I saw his courtroom rant on TV news.

He is nothing if not a good actor. Would have convinced me if...what he was claiming werent so preposterous. That being that he is innocent, and that the attack was real. Should be given an academy award for best starring role as a martyr - to display in his prison cell.

I disagree.
I simply see him as a narcissistic nincompoop.
I didn't find his courtroom antics convincing. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 12:34 pm

On one hand...his family. And some dude who looks like Danny Glover who has no connection to the case.

On the other hand- the one Black juror.