Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 9:20 am

Spunge42 wrote:
This is really upsetting, especially that the breeder not only condoned such behavior but encouraged it. You should never hit an animal.

I've studied a decent amount about animal behavior and started training to be a service dog trainer. Any trainer or vet will tell you hitting an animal will only exacerbate a problem.

What Alterity suggested is the best way to start. Investigate any changes. Try to remedy anything that may have caused it. For example, changing the litter or box. Moving the box to a different location. When she does go in said box, praise her and give her a treat.

When she's caught going on the couch, simply pick her up mid poo and set her in her box. Have a rag or something ready so you don't get pooped on.

A trip to the vet would be wise. Holding it in for days is not safe. Also, there could be a medical issue that started all of this. Animals tend to not show pain the way humans do. instead they either hide an injury or act out because they can't speak our language to tell us what's wrong.

The breeder actually suggested hitting it only as a last resort.

I don't think violence is ever appropriate unless a mammal is in mortal danger.

A human is not in mortal danger from a domestic Cat... ever. Which is why it is morally wrong to harm animals.

Unless you have domesticated a Tiger or something, which is very rare in the grand scheme of things.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2022, 10:34 pm

You may need a new sofa, once an area is soiled they tend to use that area again.
Water guns are a good nonviolent deterrent.We had a kitten that kept climbing up the screen door, after a few shots from the water gun he never did it again.
Maybe get a slick waterproof couch cover till the habit is broken.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2022, 10:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You may need a new sofa, once an area is soiled they tend to use that area again.
Water guns are a good nonviolent deterrent.We had a kitten that kept climbing up the screen door, after a few shots from the water gun he never did it again.
Maybe get a slick waterproof couch cover till the habit is broken.

Those are all good ideas. A water-spray has already been used on the Cat (not by me).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 11:00 am

The cat should also get a vet checkup if they haven't had one recently. Peeing or pooping outside of the litter box can result from health issues. Eg incontinence, mobility impairments, cognitive impairments, etc. If it's a medical issue causing this behavior, treating the medical issue should change the behavior.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 2:09 am

MaxE wrote:
I have zero confidence in anyone's ability to change that cat's behavior if the person keeps hitting it. And the person isn't going to stop. I apologize for thinking that way. As I said, getting the cat to live outdoors might be a humane option.

If there is a medical issue(for instance) happening then whether someone is hitting it or not has no bearing the specific problem. Only that the cat is more likely to develop more behavioral problems.

Rehoming the cat would likely be better than booting it to live outside(especially if it's use to being an indoor cat). Cats that live outdoors only have a 2-5 year life expectancy vs a 10-15 of an indoor.

The best option is to problem solve it. By asking things that I mentioned in my previous post.

Another thing that could be done/tried is to put the litter box, or another one (a bigger one)next to the couch to see if the cat uses it instead of the couch. I had a cat that was using the stony area in the basement to do her business. The reason was because she was anxious due to illness(kidney disease). I put a box there, she used the box. This cat I'd say it too young for something like kidney disease but it could be some other problem.

I have an old man that does get pretty anxious. He is an OCD licker, and will do so until he bald.(we had some random pee spots this year actually) He chills out once warmer weather comes but in the interim there is a shot the vet gave him to make him less crazy <_>