Rittenhouse wants Biden to Apologise to him

Page 1 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 10:51 pm

Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse wants to hash things out with President Joe Biden, who he said never apologized for calling him a 'white supremacist' on a national stage.

In a Wednesday interview, Glenn Beck asked 18-year-old Rittenhouse whether President Joe Biden ever called him to apologize.

'He hasn't, and I would like to sit down with the president and have a conversation with him and tell him the facts of what happened,' Rittenhouse told the host matter-of-factly.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... acist.html

I have scoured the internet and can't find any statement made by Biden where he called Rittenhouse a "white supremicist"?

Given Kyle now wants to pursue a career as a lawyer
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 71530.html

I imagine this is a really quite a stupid decision on his part making claims about the POTUS when he barely scraped through without being prosecuted himself for the deaths of two people.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I have scoured the internet and can't find any statement made by Biden where he called Rittenhouse a "white supremicist"?

From the first link you provided:

Edit: full version of above tweet:

Last edited by Brictoria on 10 Dec 2021, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:39 pm

Or we can go with:

Quote:
What's True

On two occasions, Biden made remarks or promoted a campaign advertisement that strongly suggested Rittenhouse was a white supremacist, or at least, closely associated with white supremacists and/or militia groups. However ...

What's False

Biden did not explicitly describe Rittenhouse as a white supremacist.

Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kyle-rittenhouse-biden/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:39 pm

But Biden never called Kyle a "white supremacist".

According to SNOPES
Snopes has reviewed footage related to two instances in which Biden referred to Rittenhouse during the 2020 presidential campaign. Our conclusion is that Biden did not explicitly describe the Illinois man as a “white supremacist.”

Biden is never going to acknowledge or apologise.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Explicitly, no...Implicitly, he certainly did.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:47 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Given Kyle has aspirations of a legal career it seems like a frivolous thing to demand. Kyle clearly has powerful backers otherwise he wouldn't have the balls to go after Biden,

Or else he's seeking financial damages from the POTUS.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 12:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Given Kyle has aspirations of a legal career it seems like a frivolous thing to demand. Kyle clearly has powerful backers otherwise he wouldn't have the balls to go after Biden,

Or else he's seeking financial damages from the POTUS.

It would come down to the impact of the words:
An individual on a site such as this would have a much smaller audience, and so their words would have a much lesser impact than Mr Biden. If trying to correct a "wrong" (defamation of this sort), the primary\largest sources of such lies are generally the first to be targetted because thay had the greater impact on the victim - That is not to say that smaller sources of the defamation (and the platforms which faciliated such commentary) would not be also targetted at a later time.

As to what he may be seeking: While monetary compensation for the harm such words have caused him (reputational, for example), it is possible that he may merely look for a public appology\acknowledgment from Mr Biden that what he said was wrong. Considering the "severity" of accusation Mr Biden implicitly made about Mr Rittenhouse, and how many people blindly believed\repeated such statements, I wouldn't be surprised were he to be after monetary damages - He is likely to come across many ill-informed people in the future (in employment, for example - or in education, as seen by the students seeking to have him expelled from a university he was studying at) who would believe what Mr Biden said was true becuase it suited what they desired to believe (or was the first thing they heard and they are incapable of re-evaluating this as later information became available - if it ever did, should they be "picky" about the sources they believe, and those sources did not "correct the record").

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 5:33 am

Brictoria wrote:
Considering the "severity" of accusation Mr Biden implicitly made about Mr Rittenhouse, and how many people blindly believed\repeated such statements, I wouldn't be surprised were he to be after monetary damages - He is likely to come across many ill-informed people in the future (in employment, for example - or in education, as seen by the students seeking to have him expelled from a university he was studying at) who would believe what Mr Biden said was true becuase it suited what they desired to believe (or was the first thing they heard and they are incapable of re-evaluating this as later information became available - if it ever did, should they be "picky" about the sources they believe, and those sources did not "correct the record").

I agree Biden should have kept his nose clean and stayed out of commenting on the court case. In this sense he's emulating his "arch enemy" Trump who happily (and irresponsibly) influenced the Rittenhouse case
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nation ... c-n1241581

It will be interesting to see if Rittenhouse would go down the legal path if Biden ignores his demands for an apology? it would seem like a trap would it not if Biden apologised then Rittenhouse's legal team would immediately launch a law suit,.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 3:49 pm

If Kyle wants to be a lawyer, the first thing he should do is study defamation law.

The statement must be stated as fact, and not opinion.

The statement must be directly related to actual damages caused as a result.

"My feelings are hurt!" does not meet the bar for "damages".

As much popularity as Kyle is gaining, I dare say you'd be hard pressed to say he's suffered "damage" as a result.

Hopefully, law school teaches him some legal defense strategies other than shooting and crying.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:15 pm

"My fellow Americans.

I , President Biden, owe Mr. Rittenhouse an apology.

He may have been a dumb thrill seeking kid who was looking for trouble, who clashed with other dumb thrill seeking kids also looking for trouble, and they all found tragically more trouble than they bargained for.

But he was NOT a racist dumb thrill seeking kid.

He was an equal opportunity dumb thrill seeking kid!"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:38 pm

Apologize to a cold-blooded murderer?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 7:26 pm

The Militia/Gun Rights thing is not strictly a manifestation of White Supremacist thought. There are probably some people involved whom you couldn't categorize as White. However the two movements tend to be encountered in close proximity. There's a lot of overlap. Just like not every Trump supporter follows QAnon, however those two phenomena are closely associated.

Should Scooter Libby apologize to Valerie Plame? Y'all tell me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 8:00 pm

MaxE wrote:
The Militia/Gun Rights thing is not strictly a manifestation of White Supremacist thought. There are probably some people involved whom you couldn't categorize as White. However the two movements tend to be encountered in close proximity. .

Yep, there's a pattern, The Kenosha Militia whom Kyle was trying desperately to erase social media pics/images are a far right group. The first thing Kyle did while on bail is go drinking with the Proud boys who are a far right group. His biggest supporters in the republican party (in addition to Trump) are Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert who sit on the extreme edge of the right wing of the GOP.

Kyle might be "republican material" but Biden would never apologise to this kid.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 8:05 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
If Kyle wants to be a lawyer, the first thing he should do is study defamation law.

The statement must be stated as fact, and not opinion.

The statement must be directly related to actual damages caused as a result.

"My feelings are hurt!" does not meet the bar for "damages".

As much popularity as Kyle is gaining, I dare say you'd be hard pressed to say he's suffered "damage" as a result.

Hopefully, law school teaches him some legal defense strategies other than shooting and crying.

I guess you have legal background. Biden making "implicit statements" is left to the reader to interpret,. That's what I thought, there's no way under defamation law that Kyle can take Biden to court.

I think this is starting to remind me of the Sandmann Covington case where Nicholas Sandmann (who is currently trying to extract more money out of other media outlets) also threatened democrat politicians with litigation.

Both Kyle and Nicholas are being encouraged by certain republicans (and/or conservative commentators/backers) to use their platform to make these threats because it casts the democrats (in this current context Bdien) in a bad light with the American public.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 9:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Apologize to a cold-blooded murderer?

You appear to be confused: There is no discussion about any murderers (cold-blooded or otherwise) in this thread.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 9:39 pm

Brictoria wrote:
You appear to be confused: There is no discussion about any murderers (cold-blooded or otherwise) in this thread.
No confusion, child; we are discussing Kyle Rittenhouse in this thread.