U.S. can extradite Julian Assange senior judges rule

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:58 am

US authorities win their latest bid to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange

Quote:
US authorities have won their bid to overturn a British judge's ruling that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange should not be extradited to face charges in the United States, on the basis of assurances given about his treatment there.

The 50-year-old Australian has been charged in the US under the Espionage Act for his role in publishing classified military and diplomatic cables.

Friday's ruling by two senior judges overturns the ruling of a British judge in January that granting the US request to extradite Assange would be "oppressive" by reason of his mental health.

Assange's lawyers said in a statement on Friday that they would appeal the decision based on the assurances at the UK's Supreme Court, within the requisite 14 days. They added that appeals on other issues, such as questions of free speech and the political motivation of the US extradition request, have yet to be heard by any appeal court.

In January, judge Vanessa Baraitser ruled that the "special administrative measures" in which Assange would most likely be held would have a severe negative impact on his mental health. She said Assange had "remained either severely or moderately clinically depressed," throughout his stay at London's Belmarsh prison and that he was considered a suicide risk.

According to court documents, the US won its appeal to extradite Assange due to "four assurances" sent in a Diplomatic Note dated February 5, 2021.

These assurances were that Assange would not be made the subject of "special administrative measures"; nor would he be held at a maximum security prison before or after trial. In addition, the US would "consent" to an application by Assange to be transferred to Australia to serve his sentence, if convicted; and while in custody in the US, Assange would receive "appropriate clinical and psychological treatment."

The senior judges hearing the appeal were satisfied that these assurances met the concerns which led the judge to reach her decision in January, court documents said Friday.

The judges ordered that the case should now be returned to Westminster Magistrates' Court, with a direction that a district judge send the case to the UK Home Secretary, who will decide whether Assange should be extradited to the US.

Assange will remain in custody, the judges said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:02 am

That the media is largely silent on this, if not outright supportive, is telling.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 9:41 am

Dox47 wrote:
That the media is largely silent on this, if not outright supportive, is telling.

That's why they get the big bucks. It astounds me that they have any viewers left at all.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 9:51 am

VegetableMan wrote:
That's why they get the big bucks. It astounds me that they have any viewers left at all.

It's disquieting, isn't it? And if you point it out, people treat you like you're a conspiracy theorist, or too online, or too political.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 10:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

It's disquieting, isn't it? And if you point it out, people treat you like you're a conspiracy theorist, or too online, or too political.

All middle ground has evaporated, it seems, like with the vax issue. The people who support CNN's lies about Ivermectin, and smearing of Joe Rogan, was too disturbing.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:40 am

The simpler reason may be that “The Media” already realizes Assange committed a crime, and that he simply must have his day in an American court of law.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:57 am

Right on time.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 4:11 am

Dox47 wrote:
Right on time.

:mrgreen:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 4:41 pm

FYI I can find articles from all the major US media sites, but it hasn't been pushed into my face. I think the ruling is a relatively minor step, really; until he is actually extradited, its all words, while there have been news stories with a much bigger impact to our lives in the US to steal the headlines. Tornadoes, omicron, Jan 6th commission revelations ... Assange is relatively old news, and we have short attention spans over here.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:20 am

Isn't he a Russian tool by now?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 12:22 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Isn't he a Russian tool by now?

That's Snowden.

Regarding the OP, I'm upset that they did that. He was also called a "miserable little worm" by a British Minister.

I'm just going to leave this here (Don't look if you're easily triggered): https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/12/14 ... n-assange/

It's interesting how Teresa May helped Gary McKinnon, and held the opposite view for Assange.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:54 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Assange is relatively old news, and we have short attention spans over here.

It's more that this is a direct attack on press freedom, and our press is blase if not supportive of it that's so alarming, not that it has a huge impact on most of us personally. Contrast that with Trump making some "enemy of the people" statement about the media and the hyperventilating that entailed, vs the reaction to this much more concrete action.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 9:12 pm

Wait, why are conservatives so loving Assange? is it because of his role in releasing Hillary Clinton's emails and helping Trump into office in 2016?

People have short memories
One thing US experts appear to agree on is that the wikileaks will make it more difficult for US diplomats and human intelligence operatives to do their jobs. Although that does not present an immediate threat to American lives, strained international relations may create a more dangerous world.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11882092

Here's what the King of the MAGAs said of Assange in 2010
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... -wikileaks

Seems MAGA "patriotism" is a fluid thing