Chris Packham to investigate the autistic mind - BBC series

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 10:51 am

Express & Star

Quote:
Chris Packham will investigate how the autistic mind works and meet other people with autism as part of a two-part series for BBC Two.

Inside The Autistic Mind will see the presenter and environmentalist, 60, work with autistic people who are each at a key point in their lives, observing and learning about the ways they sense and interact with the world.

He will also introduce them to people who may be able to answer their questions about their particular experiences.

Working with CGI, visual effects and animation facilities, Packham will then bring their “personal interior worlds” to life through “wraparound sensory experiences” that will give the autistic individual a new way of articulating their world.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 5:59 am

aaack, I hope this will emphasize the extremely different ways we process information rather than be one of those "this is what it is like to be autistic, this how autistic people think/ experience the world/ etc" I dread the "thinking in pictures" stereotype when media portrays autism. I don't watch video/tv/movies because of my sensory processing difficulties anyway, so I won't see it, (not to mention I can't access BBC anyway where I live) I hope people will discuss this show once they have viewed it and provide input for people like me who definitely can not think in pictures, let alone process moving visual images and "real time" audio. thank you as always for your vigilance in bringing autism news to us here.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 7:47 am

I sort of feel the same way as autistic elders.

Once NTs see this sort of thing, they tend to think they know what all autistic are like.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 8:09 am

autisticelders wrote:
aaack, I hope this will emphasize the extremely different ways we process information rather than be one of those "this is what it is like to be autistic, this how autistic people think/ experience the world/ etc" I dread the "thinking in pictures" stereotype when media portrays autism. I don't watch video/tv/movies because of my sensory processing difficulties anyway, so I won't see it, (not to mention I can't access BBC anyway where I live) I hope people will discuss this show once they have viewed it and provide input for people like me who definitely can not think in pictures, let alone process moving visual images and "real time" audio. thank you as always for your vigilance in bringing autism news to us here.

Unfortunatly probably will, his last doc on autism was terrible and one sided, i doubt this one will be any different

He`s generally disliked by many in the UK anyway for different reasons, i believe he had his home fire bombed attacked recently

- George Bernie Shaw

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 3:55 pm

I too feel suspicious about this. Nothing about us without us, after all. Really hope this isn't just something made for NTs but minimally including autistic people to give the resemblance of diversity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 8:36 pm

Well this should be interesting, I hope he get's a good cross section of people with autism in his series to be representative.