Do people with Autism or Aspergers late with milestones ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:05 pm

Are we late with some of life's milestones such as learning to drive, leaving school, getting into relationships, getting a job etc ?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:19 pm

Yes and no.

I think in this day and age there aren't so much pressure as there was 40 years ago. Back then adults living with their parents, even in their early 20s, was frowned upon. These days I know of so many NT adults still living with their parents, that it isn't so frowned upon by society any more (although some people may still be critical about it). Also I know a lot of NTs that don't settle down and get married until their early 30s, and then have children. Circumstances have changed and more people are still living at home in their 30s and even 40s. And it isn't unusual for people in their 20s to be living with their parents. Back in the 70s and 80s people as young as 18 were under more pressure to leave home.

I think the milestone we're usually later than average in is finding a job. I didn't get my first paying job until I was 22, even though I left college at 17 and was looking for work since. Other people were getting hired before they were 18.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:31 pm

Yes.

Thats why its called a "disability".

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 9:10 pm

Sorry the question should be ''Are'' people with Autism and Aspergers late with milestones ?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 11:02 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Are we late with some of life's milestones such as learning to drive, leaving school, getting into relationships, getting a job etc ?

Ya we are late with a lot of them for example I am 31 and have not gotten my first real job yet despite having a Masters and 2 doctorates but living with your parents into your 30's and 40's is a lot less taboo than it was in the 1970's.I live with my parents.I thought I would marry and have 3 kids by the time I was 30 but I missed that milestone so bad it was not even close.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 5:34 am

I learned to drive at 19 or 20. At least enough to pass a diving test. But I didn't start actually driving a car until I was around 26. I was put back two grades in school. I got a job at 18 as a grocery bagger. I've never been in a relationship.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2022, 3:43 pm

for some yes, others no.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 8:55 pm

Developmental milestones? Likely.
Some aspects may be worse than just delayed and late -- but painstakingly slow until at someone's late adult years.
Or, do not progress after a point for whatever reason.

Living milestones? Depends.
Technically, I'm not late. I can't drive, no driving driving licence and I don't own a place. Except that's the norm.
Not dating, not married and no kids. Because I don't want to and I don't plan to.

But if I live where kids would have to get driving license at 16 and get kicked out of the house at 18 -- where it's largely possible with the norm, very likely.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 5:32 am

^Same. If i lived in the US i would probably be considered late with everything.

I started working when i was 25, left home at the same age but still live with my parens' support,can't drive well despite having a license, have no interest in marriage and having children.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 8:53 am

chris1989 wrote:

I didn't learn to drive until I was 30. And I stayed in college for as long as my federal aid would allow me to.

After college, I struggled to find jobs. I went through long periods of unemployment, and when I did have a job it was always a low-paying job that was well below my qualifications.

Certain milestones, like getting into relationships, have a deadline. There is a certain point in life, past which its impossible to find a satisfying relationship if it hasn't happened by then.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 12:50 pm

Yes and i couldn't care less about it. Life isnt meant to be a race

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Mar 2022, 4:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes.

Thats why its called a "disability".
Autism is often referred to as a Developmental Disability for this reason. However autism is also a major social disability. Some of the hallmark traits affect social skills. Subpar social skills can majorly hinder a person's ability to obtain things like a job or a relationship. We also tend to have various different comorbids & issues like depression, anxiety, OCD, problems with focusing like ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities like Dyslexia, movement disorders like Dyspraxia, sensory issues, to name a few & these things can potentially hinder our ability to become independent & we tend to be behind NTs our own age with various things, especially since we live in a world that is not designed for us.
That said, autism is a spectrum & two autistics can be affected very differently. While plenty of us may be behind our peers with some things, other autistics may be ahead of our peers with some things.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 11:32 am

Some things I learned to do earlier, like reading, writing and drawing, but other things like math, tying my shoes, and telling left and right came later than what's seen as normal.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 10:47 pm

I don't drive because I never got a driver's license.

However, I could care less about it too.