Page 1 of 27 [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 8:07 am

Why do the majority of American voters want someone who has attempted a coup against Congress, for president?

I don't understand this.

Biden may have his flaws, but Trump has even more. So why is Biden in more trouble than Trump?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 8:56 am

Because many people, in essence, want somebody who likes to kick some ass.

No matter how criminal the asskicking happens to be.

It could very well be a simple matter of liking somebody who likes to stir things up.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 9:40 pm

I want him back because he respects the life of all humans and living things.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:39 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I want him back because he respects the life of all humans and living things.

Eh... what?

This is what Trump did during his final days in office:

https://theconversation.com/trump-plan- ... ory-151358

Quote:
Trump plan to revive the gallows, electric chair, gas chamber and firing squad recalls a troubled history

So much for respect for "all humans and living things" - right?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:52 am

T doesn't start wars for the sake of the military industrial complex, though they tried.
dems & rinos: hold my Ukraine m(h)oneypot -
& a several times cleaned story https://www.businessinsider.com/john-mc ... 13-12?IR=T
or https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/12/17 ... ald-trump/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:58 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:

This is what Trump did during his final days in office:

https://theconversation.com/trump-plan- ... ory-151358

Quote:
Trump plan to revive the gallows, electric chair, gas chamber and firing squad recalls a troubled history

So much for respect for "all humans and living things" - right?

Only question is whether he's a psychopath or a sociopath.
Given his father's history I opt for psychopath.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:41 am

traven wrote:
T doesn't start wars for the sake of the military industrial complex, though they tried.
dems & rinos: hold my Ukraine m(h)oneypot -
& a several times cleaned story https://www.businessinsider.com/john-mc ... 13-12?IR=T
or https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/12/17 ... ald-trump/

War is needed for peace. Trump's foreign policy is repeating Allied foreign policy in the first years of the second world war.

This meant that when they had no other option than to intervene anyway, it was too late and had huge consequences than if they had intervened earlier.

You need to provide a serious threat to your enemy. If Russia annex Ukraine or win a war against EU it might be too late for the US to intervene and it would bite your own ass as Russia/Putin would gain access to the Atlantic through the Baltic Sea.

Russia will be a huge threat to the U.S then.

Think of it this way:

Early intervention wars means you can use professional soldiers only. No need for a draft.
Late intervention wars means you have to draft everyone.

The first option costs a lot of money, but you keep your personal liberty as you're not drafted.
The second option costs more money AND you'll be drafted.

You can either prevent cancer in the first place, or try to "cure" it with nasty drugs when it is too late and you're dying a painful death anyway. Which one do you prefer?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:11 am

Lesser of two evils

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 3:27 pm

He's a right-wing populist. Many Americans, particularly the uneducated ones, feel disenfranchised by politicians in general, who they see as snobs who don't have the slightest interest in helping them out economically. His supporters tend to think that the reason they're struggling is that the politicians are squandering their taxes on immigrants and benefits claimants. They think immigrants are mostly dangerous criminals who are flooding the country and destroying the traditional American way of life.

But they think Trump is different - they don't think he's a politician at all, they think he's just like them - how can anybody who talks like Trump possibly be a snob? They don't like it when people use the extended vocabulary because they don't understand it and it reminds them how little they know. So it's a great thing for their ego when somebody comes along who talks just like they do, a true man of the people who allows them to think that education is a load of unnecessary ivory-tower bunk. If they don't understand it, it's not worth understanding. Thus their ego is preserved. Feed the ego of somebody who doesn't think very clearly, and you'll likely have them eating out of your hand.

And here he is building a wall to keep those pesky Mexicans out, and he looks like he'll sort out those sponging disabled and unemployed people too. And he's going to get their medical bills down by forcing Europe to pay more, because he says the reason the American healthcare system bankrupts them when they get sick is because the Europeans are getting their healthcare way too cheap. As for the storming of the Capitol, well what else can you do when you're convinced that Trump actually won and the other side have cheated him out of his rightful victory? His supporters don't believe all this lefty stuff about climate change, neither does he, so he's doing the right thing when he tries to preserve jobs by keeping the coal mines running etc. Oh, and he hates China too - well they're foreigners, obviously it's all their fault that the US economy has been in so much trouble. They need something to hate, he needs to channel that hate into anything that isn't him, and he does so.

That's his (less wealthy) fan base. Wealthier people aren't so easily fooled, but support him simply because he's a right-winger who will try to fix things so that they can hang onto and further increase the size of their wallets. They'd support a pig if it was standing for the Republican Party. If you're rich and selfish (and egalitarians don't get to be rich), you're not going to support a party that might do redistribution.

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 5:12 pm

Why do the majority of American voters want someone who has attempted a coup against Congress, for president?

I don't understand this.

Biden may have his flaws, but Trump has even more. So why is Biden in more trouble than Trump?

It wasn't coup, it was just some idiots marching there, It was a nothingburger. Everyone who marched is a hero in my book.

Donald Trump is better R president than George Bush. Dunno about domestic politics maybe democratic presidents are domesticlly much better than Republicans.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:12 pm

Because they're stupid. End of story.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm

He appeals to people whose archaic values have disempowered them in the political arena, where legal jargon is the mainstay of communication, and where one blustering, swaggering, anti-politician stands out as their hero.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:41 pm

I don't want him, but I want anyone the Democrats put up even less. He also really laid bare the absurdity of our system, which was both amusing and educational.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 5:47 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I don't want him, but I want anyone the Democrats put up even less. He also really laid bare the absurdity of our system, which was both amusing and educational.
While this may hold some validity, the system he seemed to want was martial law under a totalitarian dictatorship.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 6:20 pm

Dox47 wrote:
He also really laid bare the absurdity of our system, which was both amusing and educational.

He laid bare that 75 million Americans live in the past and have an archaic value system that has no place in the modern world. For that I'll give him props.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2021, 11:34 pm

It's not the majority. It seems a good chunk of them sincerely believe Trump won. It's disturbing. Reminds me of ISIS. When people sincerely believe absurd things they will easily commit atrocities.

Quote:
I don't understand this.

I don't trust polls at all now. A lot of progressives are extremely disappointed with Biden and Dems in general. Despondent people are not particularly motivated to answer polls. Plenty would still vote for him over Trump though. Sucks we can't get something like ranked choice voting. Seems like it's almost by design that Democrats can't get their sh*t together. They have trouble delivering a populist message because they're afraid of offending their rich donors.