Page 10 of 27 [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 6:29 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
In most professions it isn't just today's performance that matters, but tomorrows, and five years down the road.

So take your example b) and add the following information:

The black men couldn't afford the same level education as the white man, and started his career in an inferior company, thus learning less on the job. But in the interview you can tell how driven he is, how intelligent, and how quick to learn, while the white man seemed competent but fixed and unlikely to grow in his skills.

Now who do you hire?

Actually what you wrote is the exact concept the "true racists" appeal to. They are saying that, even if black currently performs better than white, they don't anticipate black to perform better in the future since blacks are less capable due to whatever racial theory they believe in. Now we both agree that not hiring a black person due to a personal belief in a racial theory is unfair. But then how would not hiring a white person due to "subjective impression of them" be any better? Ultimately belief in racial theory *and* an opinion about an individual are both subjective, and they are both unfair and hurtful for that very reason.

Well, I guess you might say I am going too far since now I am questioning the whole interviewing process. Well, I am. As someone with Asperger I found it very hurtful when people assumed "I won't show affection in dating since I appear not to be affectionate" -- even when I know for a fact that affection is exact thing I am missing which logically show I do want affection, it is just that my outside "appearance" doesn't match what I feel inside. That is ultimately what makes me think that judging people by appearance is wrong, which would include the way job interviews are set up.

The only reason you didn't see me complaining on WrongPlanet about "unfairness of job interviews" is that I never tried to apply for a real job. I spent all my adult life earning money either as a TA or a postdoc. So maybe if I did apply for a real job then I *would have* been complaining about interviewing process. And since I have a major problem with the way people evaluate their dates, maybe I would have major problems with how they evaluate job interviews, too.

On a flip side, here are some examples of when I did *not* complain. So SAT has that section where they test the knowledge of words. I was at a big disadvantage because I came from Russia. I remember myself sitting all summer trying to memorize a list of 500 words that they had in some booklet. No I wasn't successful. But, thankfully, I found a way to avoid it. Someone later told me that ACT doesn't have that section with words that SAT does. So I simply took ACT instead of SAT and the problem was solved.

But here is the point. Before I ever learned about ACT, and I was sitting there memorizing SAT words, I never felt angry. It was just a practical hurdle to overcome (or not). Why is that? Well, because nobody made any "subjective judgements" about me as a person. It was all very formal and graded by machine.

Then the other situation where I did not complain is when I lost points for sloppy mistakes in calculations in various math and science classes I took. Again, that is because it was all formal. I remember my mom kept trying to convince some of my teachers to give me better grade because I told her those were sloppy mistakes, but I thought it was silly because there is no reason for the teacher to believe that either me or my mom are telling the truth. The teacher graded my performance on a formal basis, so its all fair and square.

And I also I knew that my GPA and GRE scores were probably the main reasons I didn't get accepted into top graduate schools (although I did end up in good graduate schools just not the top). But I didn't complain about it either. And thats *despite* the fact that I don't think GPA and GRE accurately represents my skill. Because you see, accurate or not, it lacks any kind of prejudice. So its all fair.

Thats why I feel like the formal, merrit-only, basis of dealing with applicats is the most fair one. I never felt insulted by anything formal. It was always informal things that I felt insulted by. Now, "formal application process" is what the right sides with more than the left, at least as far as race is concerned.

DW_a_mom wrote:
Because of all that, affirmative action is asking people consider that the less expensive and less impressive school may be less an indicator of talent or ability, than financial disadvantage coming into the game.

Affirmative action is not about "asking people to consider" but more about "forcing people" to do something. I mean "asking people to consider" would be sitting them down and talking to them about it. I have no issues with that. But affirmative action is basically telling people to hire that many black people. Thats different.

Actually a simple "free market" has ways of dealing with racial prejudice, as well as any other prejudice. If someone has a prejudice that doesn't match reality, then they would end up hiring lesser qualified candidates, so they would end up being out-competted by someone who doesn't have that prejudice. And that applies not just to racial prejudice but to any other prejudice.

But of course the "problem" with this is that if a prejudice "is" real, then the above phenomenon won't punish it like you wish it did. Yet, on purely emotional basis, you *want* a particular prejudice to be punished. And thats where the need for affirmative action comes in. But if a certain procedure (be it affirmative action or anything else for that matter) is put in place for emotional reasons as opposed to productivity reasons, then one would logically anticipate it would be at the expense of productivity. The only question is how much.

Well, I am not all that materialistic, I am one of the people who actually feels that emotional things do matter -- and oftentimes more than material things. So I can see the situations where I would support some action that would help emotional things at the expense of material things. But affirmative action is not one of those situations because it only focuses on "protected minorities" as opposed to other people. Yet, like I mentioned earlier, when other people are judged at the job interview, it can be just as hurtful. And if you are still sticking to the whole principle of "subjective judgement" while at the same time forbidding *certain kinds* of "subjective judgement, then you are encouraging people to replace it with *other kinds* of subjective judgement. Thus other members of "protected minorities" (such as myself) end up getting judged even more.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 2:10 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
This might give you a whiff of the reason why so many people hate him:
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/why-do-p ... ald-trump/

But I feel that those reasons listed, are things that other Presidents have bene guilty of as well, and so why is Trump worse, when other Presidents have been like that as well?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 3:21 am

ironpony wrote:
But I feel that those reasons listed, are things that other Presidents have bene guilty of as well, and so why is Trump worse, when other Presidents have been like that as well?

I'm not saying they hate him more than they hate other presidents. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did. If so, and if they're anything like me, it's the constant, blatant arrogance of the man, the completely stupid, disrespectful things he says and the lousy command of his own native language. He capitalises words seemingly at random in his banal tweets. A typical example was when he said there's no such thing as global warming, and then in the same breath he blamed the Chinese for it. Then there was his "grab her by the p****" remark. The man says "I'm very intelligent actually," but he talks like a drunken slob.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:45 am

Have the liberals figured out that their hatred of him is a crucial element of his popularity yet?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:41 am

ironpony wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
^
This might give you a whiff of the reason why so many people hate him:
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/why-do-p ... ald-trump/

What other POTUS has "been like that as well"?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:

To give debit where it's due, I did see an article that figured when you add up the lies some presidents have been as bad or worse.

Having thought more about it, I think what I hate about him the most is the way he pretends to be working class when he quite clearly isn't.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:36 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

To give debit where it's due, I did see an article that figured when you add up the lies some presidents have been as bad or worse.

Having thought more about it, I think what I hate about him the most is the way he pretends to be working class when he quite clearly isn't.

Every score keeping article I have seen credits him with far more lies than any other POTUS. But even if you some how show that his score no higher some predecessor in the White House you have to admit that Trump has also told bigger lies than any POTUS before him. Like the stolen election. Quantity and quality went into making his... cake mix unique! :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:17 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Every score keeping article I have seen credits him with far more lies than any other POTUS. But even if you some how show that his score no higher some predecessor in the White House you have to admit that Trump has also told bigger lies than any POTUS before him. Like the stolen election. Quantity and quality went into making his... cake mix unique! :lol:

It may well be that they're lying when they say other presidents lied as often. It's very subjective. I saw one (right-wing) pundit excusing a lot of it as legitimate hyperbole, the idea being that a lot of the "anti-Trump" lie counters conveniently ignore the notion that he never intended anybody to believe his grossly exaggerated statements, he just said them to achieve emphasis, to add interest and colour to his words. But apparently he once said that he uses and recommends exaggeration as a negotiation tool, that it gets him results that sticking to the objective truth wouldn't achieve. That strongly suggests to me that he does indeed expect to fool people with it. I find it a scary thought that the influential people he negotiated with may have been gullible enough to give him his way just because of his hyperbolic style, instead of keeping their eye firmly on the facts.

Me, I can overlook an overstatement as a joke or a mistake caused by strong feelings, but it never sways me, and it soon undermines their credibility in my eyes, as well as simply annoying me. Especially when the culprit has admitted they use it as a means to get their own way more often. Probably the main reason I don't trust politicians and ad men is that they're so rarely scientifically correct when they say things. It's such an insult to the intelligence.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

At the end of the day, what did Trump really do? His administration was a chaotic mess and he told a lot of whoppers, but he didn't start any wars, he didn't destroy the economy (he was actually doing pretty good there till Covid), he didn't radically expand executive power, even when presented with the perfect opportunity in the pandemic, etc. The primary objection to Trump has always seemed to be rooted more in style than in substance, the man isn't even really a conservative, he just goes to where the applause is, and liberals just haven't been smart enough to figure out that he's easily manipulated by praise; they could have virtually steered his presidency had they held their noses and kissed his ass in public rather than spent the whole time spinning wild conspiracy theories about him.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Have the liberals figured out that their hatred of him is a crucial element of his popularity yet?

The people who actually like/love him do so because he triggers and bullies sucessfully people and groups they do not like.

While there are way too many of those types of people in this world they are not enough for him to win an election. It is he is the lesser of two evils people that put him over the top in 2016 and the way things are going will be responsible for his upcoming landslide win in 2024.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:38 pm

Trump did a couple of things I'm personally thankful for:

He ended Timber Sycamore, and he let the dogs off the leash when it came to ISIS, which stopped a lot of bad things happening to innocents in Syria and Iraq (especially minority ethnic and religious groups which were exclusively targeted by ISIS).

I don't really care about anything else there, because I'm not a US citizen.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:44 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I'm not saying they hate him more than they hate other presidents. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did. If so, and if they're anything like me, it's the constant, blatant arrogance of the man, the completely stupid, disrespectful things he says and the lousy command of his own native language. He capitalises words seemingly at random in his banal tweets. A typical example was when he said there's no such thing as global warming, and then in the same breath he blamed the Chinese for it. Then there was his "grab her by the p****" remark. The man says "I'm very intelligent actually," but he talks like a drunken slob.

Oh okay I see. Well I watched the conversation where Trump said grab her by the p**** but if I understand this conversation correctly, he was just saying that women let him do things because of his celebrity status, if that is correct? It's not like he was saying to sexually assault women, if that is what people think?

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2022, 2:12 am

Dox47 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

At the end of the day, what did Trump really do? His administration was a chaotic mess and he told a lot of whoppers, but he didn't start any wars, he didn't destroy the economy (he was actually doing pretty good there till Covid), he didn't radically expand executive power, even when presented with the perfect opportunity in the pandemic, etc. The primary objection to Trump has always seemed to be rooted more in style than in substance, the man isn't even really a conservative, he just goes to where the applause is, and liberals just haven't been smart enough to figure out that he's easily manipulated by praise; they could have virtually steered his presidency had they held their noses and kissed his ass in public rather than spent the whole time spinning wild conspiracy theories about him.

He did plenty of awful things. Just nothing you give a s**t about, apparently. Also, the fact that he fostered a core following that amounts to a cult of personality is disturbing regardless of his lack of success in actually being able to carry out all his plans. As much as the right screeches, democratic politicians, especially Biden and the corporate wing of the party have ZERO connection to any far left base. Almost want to elect an actual left wing demagogue / troll character just to see how the right reacts after crying wolf for so long.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2022, 2:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

The people who actually like/love him do so because he triggers and bullies sucessfully people and groups they do not like.

While there are way too many of those types of people in this world they are not enough for him to win an election. It is he is the lesser of two evils people that put him over the top in 2016 and the way things are going will be responsible for his upcoming landslide win in 2024.

They were enough for him to win in 2016 because the opposing candidate was awful. The Democratic party as a whole has no connection to people on the ground. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that they have a less democratic primary process than the Republicans. They seem like failing controlled opposition to me, almost designed to suck the vitality out of the left.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2022, 2:57 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay I see. Well I watched the conversation where Trump said grab her by the p**** but if I understand this conversation correctly, he was just saying that women let him do things because of his celebrity status, if that is correct? It's not like he was saying to sexually assault women, if that is what people think?

Not literally, but it is common for narcissistic creeps to believe there is consent when there isn't out of pure arrogance. Even if it was a real consensual event, it's pretty disrespectful to talk about it like that. Just the implication that some kinky thing that some particular woman might consent to is something women in general want is opening the door to creepy predatory attitudes.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 2:58 am

ironpony wrote:

I can't stand lechers. And then there were all those other things I mentioned. He's blatantly narcissistic. I can't stand narcissists either, especially when they're leaders.