21 Dec 2021, 7:27 am

What government help?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 9:38 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
Joe stop being down on autism

I think it's more a matter of realism about having to live with the rest of the world's attitude to autism. However we feel about the ableist and judgemental society we live in, there's not much an individual can do to immediately change it.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2021, 11:49 am

theprisoner wrote:
If you could get a guaranteed £8,000 a year ( $10,000) without lifting a finger, would you take it?

Once, when I originally got my bachelors degree and was confident that I would soon be employed in my field, I would have thought that I wouldn't need it. Now, after six years without a permanent position to support me and the opportunity to at least reduce the burden for my parents households to support me; in a heartbeat. But the process for disability (at least where I am) is so ridiculously hard that if you get it, it means you had to probably had work hard for years, through a system looking for every reason to deny you.

After the obstacles in the way of getting it, I would hardly call it "without lifting a finger," so much as doing work to get it in advance. Even if I succeeded, although logically, I would know it was what I had to do, it would probably still feel like a blow to my pride to have to accept it. It hurts that I feel like I need to consider it an option to try for at all.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 6:34 pm

theprisoner wrote:
If you could get a guaranteed £8,000 a year ( $10,000) without lifting a finger, would you take it?

nope. $10,000 a year doesn't even cover rent in an inexpensive apartment (let alone water, garbage, and electricity). Add a phone and food? forget it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 8:07 pm

DanielW wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

nope. $10,000 a year doesn't even cover rent in an inexpensive apartment (let alone water, garbage, and electricity). Add a phone and food? forget it.

I lived on a little less than that for a few years. I got food stamps and was in low income housing, though, so it was possible but not fun.

It was probably better for me than for some since I have inexpensive interests, for the most part.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:33 pm

theprisoner wrote:

From where I came from??

That's basically living 4x or more than the above average person's usual income.
I'd take it. :P

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:48 pm

No, but I get disability payments for C-PTSD and stroke.
I didn't apply for Autism or ADHD benefits and they wouldn't change the payment, anyway.

I also get disability insurance from my former workplace.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 12:07 am

Yeah. It's listed on the disability pension, along with some other things. Autism on its own, is disabling for me, even though I'm not that bad. I used to get cheaper medication, but I can thank the government and drug addicts for that one, so I pay in full now.

Kinda lucky I have a parent I can live with, otherwise homeless. No way would I live in a group home, care facility or shelters.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:24 am

No, because even if you ought to be entitled to it, you still have to exaggerate your symptoms, and then I'd be worried in case they send out spies to watch me and then prosecute me for being a "fraud".

That's the UK government for you. If you can walk and talk, you are automatically ineligible to receive any government support, unless you have downs syndrome but can still walk and talk.
Even my mum had to fight to get government support, and she was so ill with cancer she was unable to go to work any more or do a lot of things for herself. I think everyone with cancer should be given government support because cancer is a nasty horrible disease and is such a curse.