Best speech delay treatments for visual learners?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm

I'm clearly no authority but the reason why they are visual is because the speech wouldn't come so in a dire need to communicate, they went visual or auditory. I think the visual people are moreso autistic. I'm just speculating. With visual, you get your mathematicians. With auditory, you get musicians. I'm visual, my daughter is auditory. We were both speech delayed. Actually, people iny home usually never spoke to me much. While raising my daughter, I spoke too much and too fast. I had no clue she was on the spectrum and quickly stifled a psychologist who tried to tell me I was on the autistic spectrum. He scared the hell out of me and I never returned. After my daughter turned 3. I saw it clearly for the first time, heredity hurts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 7:36 pm

Rotter wrote:
I think when children are forced/abused to some degree in a school or kindergarten, it can trigger them to refuse to talk (and/or retreat into themselves), and then the refusal to talk (or the inner retreat to escape abuse) is falsely viewed as an inability to talk.

There is a trade-off here in terms of how much you want to instil independence in your child. The early years are beneficial for your child to template social communication/behaviours and there's good reason to prefer keeping your child in mainstream kinder or primary school.

My daughter had major auditory sensory issues that were a significant impediment to her ability to learn to communicate despite having other strengths. While homeschooling or "special school" might have been better to accommodate her sensory issues we wanted her to be confident and take that step from non-verbal to verbal.

We stuck it out and while there were times the mainstream school system encouraged us to seek alternate arrangements but she's still in mainstream highschool and while her social skills still need more work she is fairly normal communication and so we are glad we stuck it out.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2022, 6:20 pm

Rotter wrote:
magz wrote:
The important part is that communication is meaningful and goes both ways. Once the child learns communication and why it matters

meaningful - Is that, for example, helping the child to understand the benefit of saying "I want a drink" when the child is thirsty?
Can you give some further examples beyond food and drink?
What else can be done to make the communication meaningful and increase motivation to speak?
A speech therapist said to play board games with rules, but it seemed to bring no improvements at all. I guess this is an example of non-meaningful communication in the viewpoint of the child.

I'd say it's about making sure the communication reflects what the child wants to say about topics the child cares about.

For example, I've seen a lot of therapists basically "putting words in the mouths" of speech-delayed kids, eg by grabbing a kid's hands to make them sign something the therapist thinks they should be communicating in this context. That's not very meaningful to the kid. Or trying to get a kid who doesn't really mind being in diapers to use a communication device to request the potty.

Communication can have several different functions:

Requesting - letting another person know you want something, like your example of saying "I want a drink" when you're thirsty.

Rejecting - letting another person know you don't want something, like saying "I hate orange juice" when someone offers you an orange juice to drink.

Socializing - engaging in interaction for interaction's sake, or to express how you feel about another person. An example might be saying "Hi, how are you?"

Commenting - letting another person know something about your environment or the world in general that you find interesting or want them to know about. An example might be saying "look, there's a school bus!"

NT kids tend to do all four of these fairly equally from a young age, autistic kids tend to do more requesting and rejecting at first, then commenting, then socializing. But regardless of which communication functions an individual prefers, meaningful communication is communication that fulfills the functions they want to communicate about.

Another way to see it is that all meaningful communication is about getting an idea from the communicator's head into the recipient's head.

LordMikey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2022, 11:53 pm

Sometimes speech delays are caused by undiagnosed mild epilepsy, which your kid could have from a minor head injury that you don't even know about. Some people with epilepsy don't convulse at all, but get tense muscles or move around for no apparent reason. Or make noises they can't control. Your kid's jaws or tongue might be tightening uncontrollably when he/she tries to talk. A screening by a neurologist would be a VERY good idea for any kid with speech delays.

P.S. I am a college educated adult living in the State of Oregon, USA.

I am not qualified to give advice of a medical or psychiatric nature.

THANK YOU!