After 4 years I've been told I don't have ASD

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2021, 3:30 am

As the title says, after 4 years of psychiatrist yesterday he told me he thinks I don't have asperger.

Although he never wrote it on paper, he told me several times in the past that that was his thought. (that i had ASD)

What a great disappointment, I think this will be my last post on the forum

Just wanted to thank all of you guys for the experience while it lasted (It was short but sweet)

and good luck with your life. Goodbye

BlossX

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 4:02 am

There is no law saying that you hafta leave just cause your shrink changed his mind about your diagnosis. you're welcome to stay here if you want.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Dec 2021, 4:11 am

1. There is no reason not to use this forum just because one is not autistic. If you relate to experiences of other members, you're totally welcome here, even if you were 100% NT.
2. Various psychiatrists may have various opinions but as long as there is no blood test for autism, it's all up to their interpretations of the symptoms they see. With all the variety of coping and masking strategies, understanding autism in adults is not something any random psychiatrist can do.
3. Use whatever helps you function, reject whatever cripples you - that's my personal guide to navigating mental health services. I had a disastrous misdiagnosis and got out of it despite not being mentally healthy. It's tricky ground but you can do it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2021, 4:33 am

magz wrote:
1. There is no reason not to use this forum just because one is not autistic. If you relate to experiences of other members, you're totally welcome here, even if you were 100% NT.
2. Various psychiatrists may have various opinions but as long as there is no blood test for autism, it's all up to their interpretations of the symptoms they see. With all the variety of coping and masking strategies, understanding autism in adults is not something any random psychiatrist can do.
3. Use whatever helps you function, reject whatever cripples you - that's my personal guide to navigating mental health services. I had a disastrous misdiagnosis and got out of it despite not being mentally healthy. It's tricky ground but you can do it.

reply to 1- I feel like being mildly autistic, and I scored 185 out of 200 on the aspie test (maybe I was influenced? who knows?)
reply to 2- I think i'm masking my autism well if I have it, because I learnt some NT's patterns with the time (like staring straight at the person's eyes who is talking to me, shaking their hands firmly, etc.)
reply to 3- My counsellor tell me that I have some symptoms regarding asperger but diagnosis in adult age is difficult, what should I do then?

additional point : I don't know what I have, but as far as i know I have poor future planning (I'm studying at the university but with poor results at the moment) , perpertual anxiety regarding life challenges and I keep on moving my hands while I'm nervous. I think I do have something, but don't know what that is.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Dec 2021, 5:00 am

As you're still in Uni, an official diagnosis would probably grant you some accommodations. That may be worth trying.

I think a more important question, especially future-planning-wise is: Who are you under all your coping strategies? What makes you happy? What makes you "flow"? What are your real needs? How do you differ from the "standard expectation"?

It's not about diagnosis because it's not about a disorder. It's about self. You don't need a doctor's stamp on your Self.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 5:22 am

BlossX wrote:
As the title says, after 4 years of psychiatrist yesterday he told me he thinks I don't have asperger.

Although he never wrote it on paper, he told me several times in the past that that was his thought. (that i had ASD)

Maybe you do, and maybe you don't. But, honestly, if this guy was that wishy-washy and wavering for 4 years, unable to determine if you were or weren't, then his opinion might not be the most reliable either way.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2021, 5:34 am

magz wrote:
As you're still in Uni, an official diagnosis would probably grant you some accommodations. That may be worth trying.

I think a more important question, especially future-planning-wise is: Who are you under all your coping strategies? What makes you happy? What makes you "flow"? What are your real needs? How do you differ from the "standard expectation"?

It's not about diagnosis because it's not about a disorder. It's about self. You don't need a doctor's stamp on your Self.

yes an official diagnosis would grant me not to pay the university taxes which would be great, given the burden that I am on my parent's finances.

How do I differ from the standard expectation? well, I like to study and read a lot, but only on my favourite subjects( and that is the first issue I have while in University) what makes me flow? nothing at the moment. my real needs? eating healthy (i'm a little overweight) and sleeping properly (at least 9 hours, or else I can't work properly) also my real need is to be independent and not being a weight for my parents finance and shoulders. (this is what worries me the most after all, everyday i'm anxious due to the uncertainty of my career and my future)

I agree I don't need a doctor stamp to be myself, but I do need it in order to have government help and yesterday it hit me hard when the psychiatrist told me that I was going to get diagnosed only with "Psychosis NAS" (NAS means Not specified) maybe I can still get government help (which I really need, like preferential employment, and a little pension for my disability) but I will first speak with my doctor

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2021, 5:35 am

Maybe you do, and maybe you don't. But, honestly, if this guy was that wishy-washy and wavering for 4 years, unable to determine if you were or weren't, then his opinion might not be the most reliable either way.[/quote]

That is also a good point, i'm considering switching to a new psychiatrist.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Dec 2021, 6:59 am

Trying a second opinion is usually a good idea.
If an official diagnosis would grant you practical benefits, it's a good idea to pursue it.
Then, I'd recommend to look specifically for someone experienced with autistic adults - a random psychiatrist is very unlikely to know much on the topic.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 10:37 am

A second opinion sounds like a good idea, and Good Luck—um...at becoming officially Autistic.
:? I find it entertaining that, in this case, "Good Luck" means "I hope you are Autistic".

Did the old provider actually do a formal Autism assessment? Or are they still just expressing their impression?

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2021, 11:15 am

Double Retired wrote:
A second opinion sounds like a good idea, and Good Luck—um...at becoming officially Autistic.
:? I find it entertaining that, in this case, "Good Luck" means "I hope you are Autistic".

Did the old provider actually do a formal Autism assessment? Or are they still just expressing their impression?

the old provider was just expressing his impression

Phoenix2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2021, 12:41 pm

BlossX wrote:
reply to 3- My counsellor tell me that I have some symptoms regarding asperger but diagnosis in adult age is difficult, what should I do then?

There are psychologists that specialize in diagnosing autism in both children and adults. I went to one. They know better than some flip-floppy doctor who is not familiar with what adult autism presentation really looks like. They'll be able to better see through some of the masking techniques and do executive function assessments and the like. And that's only 1 option you have. There is also self-diagnosis too, which is just as valid in my opinion.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 5:24 pm

BlossX wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

So, what you got was not a diagnosis—it was someone's personal opinion not based upon accepted, professional criteria.

:-? Maybe you could get some more opinions...ask your barber and car mechanic, too!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 2:59 am

BlossX wrote:

What country do you live in? (And, if you live in a large country, which state/province/region or major metro area?)

Don't be specific enough to endanger your privacy, but, if you can give us a general idea of approximately where you live, someone here might be able to advise you on how to get an official diagnosis by a qualified therapist.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 2:15 pm

Most psychiatrists are far from being experts on autism. Psychiatrists are experts on conditions that they can prescribe pills for, and autism is not one of those.

To get a real, formal autism diagnosis, you need to see a psychotherapist who specializes in doing adult autism assessments.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 7:18 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Most psychiatrists are far from being experts on autism. Psychiatrists are experts on conditions that they can prescribe pills for, and autism is not one of those.

To get a real, formal autism diagnosis, you need to see a psychotherapist who specializes in doing adult autism assessments.

Ya I am not diagnosed anymore officially with Asperger’s and I identify as neurodiverse or aspie somewhat but different doctors will come up with different diagnosis every time you see a different one in some cases and I am still staying on the site so I think it would be okay for you too I never got a adult Asperger’s diagnosis in my twenties