Turpin children case shows me NTs aren't more empathetic

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 10:18 pm

I think the title sounds a little inflammatory so sorry about that. Another thread here made me really think about how NTs from what I see, consider themselves to have more empathy/more understanding of others, but in reality this often only extends to people like them. If you are only empathetic to people like you, how can you call that empathy?

In the Turpin case, the cop sent out to help the girl was convinced she was just a runaway who was on drugs and I fully believe she would have died if she didn't have those photos. He didn't consider that in the call she said her parents trapped her and her siblings in the house, so it would make sense if she acted different. He just let his bias colour things until he saw something he couldn't possibly deny. Another person in charge also questioned why the children didn't run away before???! !!

In general, so many of the issues in the world that NTs sometimes think less of others than even animals. This current pandemic has also showed me that as people are willing to risk the lives of people like me and governments haven't tried to help the world, which is the only way out. I'm not saying that autistic people have superior empathy, but from my experience, and looking out at the world, I would strongly disagree that they are these beings dripping with empathy, and we are cold unfeeling creatures like *some* would believe.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 4:42 am

Some autistics are more empathetic than others. Some NTs are more empathetic than others. It's down to personality.

An extroverted NT not understanding how an introverted NT feels about social situations is a perfect example of this. Also a happy NT not understanding an NT with depression.

So it's not only spectrumers NTs don't understand, it's anybody with a different mindset. Some NTs do understand different mindsets, but a lot don't.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2021, 11:06 am

lvpin wrote:
In the Turpin case, the cop sent out to help the girl was convinced she was just a runaway who was on drugs and I fully believe she would have died if she didn't have those photos. He didn't consider that in the call she said her parents trapped her and her siblings in the house, so it would make sense if she acted different. He just let his bias colour things until he saw something he couldn't possibly deny. Another person in charge also questioned why the children didn't run away before???! ! !

I can't see anything wrong with the way the policeman
handled the situation.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 2:20 am

There's a lot of untrue assumptions (even in the scientific and medical fields) about why autistic peeps do not interact the same as NTs.
The why assumptions are the result of an inherent bias that normal = accurate, and different = flawed.

In situations that normal was inaccurate, then with this bias, different would still be assumed to be erroneous.
But it is possible, in those situations, that different could be correct.

Normal is often wrong to varying degrees. But even if normal = correct, different might be even more accurate.. but yet assumed wrong..

e.g. 3.1416 v 22/7ths

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 5:13 am

Soliloquist wrote:
lvpin wrote:
In the Turpin case, the cop sent out to help the girl was convinced she was just a runaway who was on drugs and I fully believe she would have died if she didn't have those photos. He didn't consider that in the call she said her parents trapped her and her siblings in the house, so it would make sense if she acted different. He just let his bias colour things until he saw something he couldn't possibly deny. Another person in charge also questioned why the children didn't run away before???! ! !

I can't see anything wrong with the way the policeman
handled the situation.

When I watched the full documentary he said when he saw the pictures he realised it was serious. One of my special interests has been true crime and police tend to not take things seriously unless there is hard evidence... even then... Based on his comments in the documentary, I don't think he would have taken things seriously enough if she didn't have the photos.