Best work environments for Aspies?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2022, 9:58 am

Nades wrote:
I found my little blue collar job work environment to actually not be that bad for aspies. Anything goes and all manner of crap is tolerated.

I imagine all types of work environments that are a bit rough around the edges will naturally be more tolerant than more formal, structured and "serious" environments.

Honestly, it really depends on the management and how stuck up their own backsides they are about forcing their own personal idea of what a workplace 'should' be like on other people.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:47 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
Nades wrote:
I found my little blue collar job work environment to actually not be that bad for aspies. Anything goes and all manner of crap is tolerated.

I imagine all types of work environments that are a bit rough around the edges will naturally be more tolerant than more formal, structured and "serious" environments.

Honestly, it really depends on the management and how stuck up their own backsides they are about forcing their own personal idea of what a workplace 'should' be like on other people.

It depends a a lot on management. I noticed that in all blue collar environments however the environment is very laid back.

In my workplace there is an unspoken rule of intentionally being offensive to people in a bad taste of one-upmanship. When it's encouraged to call your own work colleagues names that I can't mention on Wrong Planet, most autistic quirks just fade into the background noise and are ignored.

I feel that in more structured, rule oriented work environments where people are expected to behave autistic quirks will be a lot more noticeable and uncomfortable gossip is more likely.

It's was a steep learning curve that required thick skin on my half but as counterintuitive as it sounds, being surrounded by rough colleagues that have zero filter with what they say actually mirrors autism..... albeit as more of a joke by NT's.

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2023, 8:09 pm

It has been interesting reading people's thoughts.

Yes, now that I think about it, I agree that the bottom line is what management is prepared to accommodate and tolerate (or not), both in terms of tics/unusual behaviour and incidentally, any bullying/b.s. that can go on.

Because of my skill set, I've only ever worked in white collar environments (some of which I've thrived in and some not so much :| ) so hopefully anyone out there reading who has a clerical background like me won't be turned off all white collar workplaces.

For me, it has come full circle. I've always thought workplace "culture" was key to whether an ASD person swam or sank. (But how on Earth do you find that out in the job interview?? As if you'd get a useful answer if you asked! :lol: ) This thread confirms my view that it does come down to culture (which is moderated by management).

Oh well, the search continues...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:08 pm

I think I'd make a good supervisor, but I don't think I'd be able to organise myself or my workers. But I suppose it can be done by communication, which I'm not bad at (believe it or not). As ironic as it may sound, some NT supervisors are bad at communication and only want to be in the position for power and thinking they have the right to take all their problems out on their colleagues and call it authority. But me, I wouldn't be like that. I wouldn't do it for power, I'd do it to maintain a fair and decent environment for my colleagues, to make sure everybody was treated equally, no favouritism, no being the big I Am, just being pleasant and fair. The way I see it, a happy worker is an efficient worker.