Best work environments for Aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2021, 8:40 pm

So I'm on the lookout for a job because it's probably only a matter of time before my company folds (we lose more clients than we gain back, month on month - totally getting hammered by the competition).

I've just realised I have impostor syndrome because my people skills aren't as good as NTs (the workplace bully finds me more often than they don't :( ). Which is not to say that I'm a loner at work, FWIW.

I'm pretty confident in my application-writing ability (I actually think being good at English Lit helps here) so I have a good strike rate there, but the subsequent job interviews are often demoralising 8O . I realise that I won't fit in everywhere (and I'm no longer looking to). I also realise I need to target work environments described as "supportive" and "friendly". Not that that's a guarantee of harmony, but it's a start...

I guess there are several questions raised in this post. What else should I look for in a workplace? Do you feel impostor syndrome sometimes? How do you deal with it? Do many Aspies undersell themselves? Please feel free to add anything else you may find helpful.

Many thanks!

jadedpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2021, 6:33 pm

It certainly seems required everywhere to exaggerate your skills, "fake it til you make it" and express more confidence than you really have (except maybe when interviewing for a rocket company, I hope?)

I've never deliberately looked for self-described "friendly" workplaces. I almost feel like all of them will feature smiley group photos on their website anyway, whether they live up to the description or not. Places that specifically work in the mental health field or hire people with disabilities are the obvious ones :) There's a cafe near where I used to live like that (Ada's Cafe in Palo Alto) and I previously worked at a company providing special education online (that was a super welcoming environment and I felt literally everyone there was warm towards everyone)

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2021, 4:06 am

Thanks, Jaded Penguin (btw penguins are my favourite animal - I actually think my husband resembles one just a little :lol: - I realised that AFTER I married him :lol: ).

Anyway, I was wondering about applying for positions in places that are explicitly disability-friendly, or serve the disabled community. Have applied for a few but the response rate is a bit patchy. But you probably get that everywhere. Come to think of it, my current place is disability-friendly but they have turned away some candidates with disabilities because they didn't think they'd be a good fit. Sorry this sounds obvious - thinking aloud :wink: .

H'mm. I think I now have a more targeted job-hunting strategy! Thanks again :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 10:22 am

Telecommuting

Plenty of companies claim to value "diversity"

My current job is one of them

However almost everyone that works in that building has the same personality

Myers Briggs personality types:. Extroverted and feeling

Thus far, Myers Briggs personality types are not a protected class under Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2021, 6:20 pm

Somewhere with a giant-ass union. (And research beforehand as to whether it's a good one or a s**t one.)

My experience has generally been that places with unions - the better unions, that is; the ones that aren't sockpuppets - will prevent (or at least shut down) a lot of management interaction problems. A manager doesn't like you because you're autistic - they get hammered. A manager tries to do something that isn't union-approved to you - they get hammered. A manager complains because you don't make eye contact - hammered.

It takes a lot of stress out of the day, and tends to give you more confidence in being able to work long-term, when you know that anyone in the workplace trying anything like that is risking the union's wrath.

On top of that: Places which are _quiet_. Many workplaces are too damn loud, whether from machinery or hard surfaces (blue-collar) or open-plan offices jammed with ultra-chatty noiseboxes (white-collar). I recommend small offices and outposts of large organizations, or working from home (without cameras) if you can get it.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 12:29 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
Somewhere with a giant-ass union. (And research beforehand as to whether it's a good one or a s**t one.)

My experience has generally been that places with unions - the better unions, that is; the ones that aren't sockpuppets - will prevent (or at least shut down) a lot of management interaction problems. A manager doesn't like you because you're autistic - they get hammered. A manager tries to do something that isn't union-approved to you - they get hammered. A manager complains because you don't make eye contact - hammered.

It takes a lot of stress out of the day, and tends to give you more confidence in being able to work long-term, when you know that anyone in the workplace trying anything like that is risking the union's wrath.

On top of that: Places which are _quiet_. Many workplaces are too damn loud, whether from machinery or hard surfaces (blue-collar) or open-plan offices jammed with ultra-chatty noiseboxes (white-collar). I recommend small offices and outposts of large organizations, or working from home (without cameras) if you can get it.

You in a union?

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2021, 9:51 pm

In the age of COVID, work-from-home jobs seem like the best option for most people on the spectrum. You can apply for tons of them, it doesn't matter where they originate from, and some pay surprisingly well. Anything you have to make your life easier at home, you now also have at work :)

I say most because WFH is kind of getting under my skin. I thought I was an introvert until now. I've been working as a manager in an office that was in person but went to WFH 21 months ago, and after all that time it's kind of driving me crazy. But for more introverted people, I imagine it would be great.

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2022, 2:46 am

Thanks for the insights, guys!

Yeah, my current job is actually WFH too but as an Aspie who actually likes chitchat (we do exist :) ) I would go a bit dotty without some "civilian" interaction in my workweek. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. Having said that, someone in another thread said that some employers can over-surveil (cameras and such) their minions when they WFH, which is more of a turn-off for me. But otherwise, WFH may be the solution for some :D

Re. another post, I'm not sure that my industry (clerical) is very unionised, here where I live.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2022, 9:52 pm

rse92 wrote:
You in a union?

Have been for most of my working life.

And yes, there are terrible unions. Cardboard sock puppets for the employer or the industry, which never do anything to help their members. But a really good union is worth its weight in gold.

LiverpoolAspergian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2022, 2:23 pm

What about working in a library? The Dewey Decimal System is used to calolouge books and books are arranged side by side?

Forgive me for coming across as callous, it is just that I like to organise and group things together into sets.

I was wondering if this was true of other autistics?

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2022, 12:41 am

Well I did “decent” at a health insurance job for over a year working at home.

First off, the same QA and she started almost same time I did, I did not like having same person grading my calls. I did not like her talking about her personal life, and I didn’t like her attitude. She was working hard though, I assume.

I felt accomplished because I could use my voice without anyone looking at me.

I’ve worked at a web company for over a year before alone in a room with one other person .

Those were the two jobs I’ve done where I felt “normal.”

I still worked hard “to the bones” as in I tried really hard to go fast, I tried to do the right thing and I feel like I was making a difference.
But yeah I’ll chose dying under a bridge probably than working with the public. I just yeah .

And I’m in Kentucky so that does not help

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 7:21 am

I couldn't work in a library - they're full of loud, obnoxious toddlers, which makes me anxious and hurts my ears.

LiverpoolAspergian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2022, 8:48 am

Joe90 wrote:
I couldn't work in a library - they're full of loud, obnoxious toddlers, which makes me anxious and hurts my ears.

Perhaps you could work somewhere that is out of the way? Like organising the books at night?

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 10:22 am

a nice quiet office doing research or typing

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2022, 4:49 am

CloudSea wrote:
I also realise I need to target work environments described as "supportive" and "friendly".

I'd be wary of anything like that in a job description. If they have to say it, they're probably _not_ it. Use the rule of "He who must say he is the king is not the true king".

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm

I found my little blue collar job work environment to actually not be that bad for aspies. Anything goes and all manner of crap is tolerated.

I imagine all types of work environments that are a bit rough around the edges will naturally be more tolerant than more formal, structured and "serious" environments.