Page 19 of 22 [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:23 am

goldfish21 wrote:
They didn't just get harassed. They were shot at. Wtf.

Also, just because someone else got away with a crime doesn't mean this guy should. Also Wtf.

What are you having a problem understanding here? Alex Jones tells lies and causes harm, but mainstream journalists tell even bigger lies and cause much larger harms, yet only Alex Jones is being bankrupted and de-platformed; why do you think that is?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:42 am

Dox47 wrote:
mainstream journalists tell even bigger lies and cause much larger harms, yet only Alex Jones is being bankrupted and de-platformed; why do you think that is?

A couple of things
1. journalists are subject to media watch organisations, fact checkers and the general public (nowadays via social media). There's been plenty of examples (at least here in Australia) of TV stations, newspapers and journalists being bought to task via the courts to answer lying or stretching the truth.

2, Jones demonstrably lied (it really doesn't require a judge to work that out) but his claims have also caused distress and trauma to the families of the Sandy Hook victims. If other journalists or media outlets do the same then they are subject to the same level of scrutiny. You conveniently ignore the legal case against US media organisations over the alleged distress allegedly experienced by Nicholas Sandmann and his family after the Covington incident which was tested in the courts and duly chucked out.

No free rides for Alex Jones (and BTW he and Infowars are worth $160m so he's hardly bankrupt so he can pay for the mess and trauma he's unnecessarily created).

Last edited by cyberdad on 08 Aug 2022, 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:47 am

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Thats a conundrum that often stimulating conversations can be generated from a thread but the topic needs to be adhered so that those vested in the topic can keep the discussion relevant.

I think my comments were quite pertinent to the conversation. But others know better, so rather than ignore my thoughts, they can b***h and moan about them -- and probably get them deleted.

In that case focus on those pertinent comments rather than lament over them being bypassed. I used to post pages of responses to threads which were then ignored or at best cherry picked over issues that had nothing to do with the thread. I respond by making the responses more succinct and to the point. Invariably when you get to the pointy end of a discussion the other person can either agree with you or ignore you. it's up to them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:04 am

Alex Jones is going to pay through his teeth for being an idiot.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:34 am

flamingshorts wrote:
[
You know those lawsuits where the media gets sued? They are close to all staged. You can't just pay a bribe of kickback via bank transfer. Brown paper bag of cash on a park bench? They make a show of it to show the media is being held to account and not in cahoots with the politicians or whoever. In fact thats exactly what they are. Pay attention, it's often the same journalist, esp one from the ABC.

After ditching working in a lab I worked in a fairly large media organisation for a while in marketing/advertising. Yes, the editors of large newspapers get visits from the local MPs, state and even federal government ministers before their papers go to press. I don't know what transpires in their private offices but no doubt the editor is careful certain stories are favourable to an incumbent government,

But at least in Australia individual journalists do have licence/freedom to publish but I acknowledge they are occasionally put back on their leash.

Just remember the lessons of Orwell's Animal Farm applied equally to democracies as much as communists and fascists. Power corrupts no matter who is in power. You can't compare the ABC with Channel 9 or Sky but of course that doesn't mean they aren't open to influence.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Short term pain....long term publicity for infowars. He's already pitching how this is a victory for him and his supporters.
https://news.yahoo.com/alex-jones-bizar ... 31343.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Short term pain....long term publicity for infowars. He's already pitching how this is a victory for him and his supporters.
Could Mr. Jones' behavior be a foreshadowing of how Mr. Trump might react to his own incarceration?

Stay tuned to this and other similar threads.

:D

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 9:05 am

Here's WHere "What Aboutism" Comes into Play
ON This Topic Where A Member Here And More
Championed Alex Jones As A 'Hero' Instead of a 'Villain'...

IF 'You' Meet Donald Trump and Can't Figure Out He is A Con-Man
One-on-One In-depth Of SHALLoWesT Conversation With Him Chances Are

You are Gonna Have a Much Harder Life, Perhaps 'Stumbling on 5th Avenue And Not Getting Up;'

Similar Applies to Folks Like Alex Jones, George W Bush; And Other Used Car Folks Selling Lemons
STiLL With Life-Time Guarantees that Never Pan Out; Similar, With Most Every Conspiracy Theory STiLL,

Including So-Called
'Sacred CowS' in Most
All Religions/Politics/
Philosophies/ And Even Only
Materially Reduced 'Scientisms'

That By Any Integrated View

Most Definitely Are Conspiracy
Theories too by Con-Men and
Or Women too; Or Through Ignorance That
Actually Still Is A GreaTesT Human CuLTuRaL
Pandemic That Harms, Rapes, Maims, And Kills
Us And All of Nature Most; And Yes, THere Is Another

Side of this Story Directly On Topic too; Like The
Great Band, 'The Police' Sing With Lyrics, "When the
World is Running Down You Make the Best of What
Is Still Around" With Sting in the Lead As Singer See How

This Effortlessly in Ease Lyrically Is Coming to Be A Melody and
Song of mY Soul in Flow Not Unlike What 'Neo' Said Toward The End of

One of the 'Matrix
Movies Still Playing'

Gonna Party Like A
'Zion Rave Dance' on Fire
MakinG Love to ALL Existence New
Yes As Long as This Peace Lasts Now...

Peace of Mind is Worth All the Effort
it Takes to Actually Inhale Peace Exhale
LoVE iN JoY oF LiGHT All God Damned Day

And Night Long;

Yet of Course,

Only If ya Make
IT REAL IN YOUR LIFE;

BE CAREFUL, SCIENCE SHOWS
THAT THE DOPAMINE NEUROCHEMICAL
AND OTHER ADRENALINE NEUROHORMONES

THAT NEGATIVITY CREATES IS VERY ADDICTIVE INDEED,

in the Real Case of 'Gnashing Teeth And Weeping' Cheeks All the Way

Through Life,

Never Writing
One'S Own Story And
Playing it Free Real Now
And Instead, Oh YUCK, Just Living

In Another Con-Man's Story Now Like
An Alex Jones' Con; Yet Yes, Make No
Mistakes, the Similar Applies ACross
Cross-Cultural Lies, Including 'Sacred

Cows' in Most Every Religion
Designed to Master
Control And

Subjugate
'YOU' FOR 'THEIR'
SELFISH MATERIAL GAINS,
IF ONLY POWER AND STATUS
WITH FABULOUS COLORED ROBES AND HATS
ON WITH ORNATE CHALICES OF GOLD SHINING

in Material
Reductionism
Still With An ORGANIC Soul
That No Longer Feels and Senses
More Beautiful Colors of Existence From

Within;

YEP, Far Behind/Ahead Any Used Car Sales Person
or Snake-Oil Sales Person on the "Side of the Road

to 'Damascus"
And The Such
All through HiSToRY
Still Recorded For All
Those Who Still See through

Con-Man

Yes And or
Woman Lies...

True, In ParT, This
IS What 'Being Awake'
REALLY Means Seeing through
the Lies and Making Life Good FOR YOU.

IF 'YOU' LiVE iN THE UNITED STATES AND
ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO BE FINANCIALLY
INDEPENDENT With Will Under Love IT CAN AND
WILL BE ALL
UP TO YOU,

With A 'Little Help' From
'Some FRiEnDS' And
Technology of

Course too, Hehe;

THIS MUCH
i Do As True;

Yet Not Gonna Suggest
It's Easy for Anyone to Actually Do It.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:00 pm

UPDATE 2022-08-08: Alex Jones' texts have been turned over to the January 6 committee.

Approximately two years' worth of text messages sent and received by right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones have been turned over to the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection.

The messages were handed over to the committee by Mark Bankston, the attorney who represented two Sandy Hook parents who successfully sued Jones in Texas and won nearly $50 million in a civil trial that concluded last week.  Bankston would only tell CNN that he is "cooperating with the committee."

Read the Full Story
 HERE 

To me, Mr. Jones is certainly neither a hero nor an anti-hero.  He looks more like a victim of his own villainy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Could Mr. Jones' behavior be a foreshadowing of how Mr. Trump might react to his own incarceration?

Stay tuned to this and other similar threads.

:D

I was so looking forwarded to Cosby and Trump swapping stories in the old celebrities wing of jail :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 5:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A couple of things
1. journalists are subject to media watch organisations, fact checkers and the general public (nowadays via social media). There's been plenty of examples (at least here in Australia) of TV stations, newspapers and journalists being bought to task via the courts to answer lying or stretching the truth.

Fact checkers? You mean those media captured groups that torture the information until they can claim true stories are "partially true" or "true, but misleading" according to their partisan alignment? It's like the cops investigating themselves and declaring that they found no wrongdoing, a rubber stamp designed to conceal their own mistakes and misinformation. Same with the media watch groups, they all have their own slants and are often more deceptive than the news they're claiming to fact check.

cyberdad wrote:
2, Jones demonstrably lied (it really doesn't require a judge to work that out) but his claims have also caused distress and trauma to the families of the Sandy Hook victims. If other journalists or media outlets do the same then they are subject to the same level of scrutiny.

No, they aren't. Not a single journalist who lied us into Gulf Wars I or II or any of our other foreign misadventures has ever been held to account, most in fact prospered and were often promoted, and the only journalists who paid even a professional price were those who questioned the wars, many of whom were fired and/or blacklisted, a practice that continues today. The fact of the matter is, you're allowed to tell all the lies you want so long as they're seen as promoting the interests of the regime, or at least not interfering with it, which leads me to my own question here, which is what particular thing did Jones say that drew all this heat onto him. He's been saying crazy things since the 90s and no one really cared, but within the last few years we've seen not only these lawsuits, but previously unprecedented big tech coordination to silence him, which indicates to me that he stepped on someone's toes, someone with juice with the tech and government sectors of this country.

cyberdad wrote:
You conveniently ignore the legal case against US media organisations over the alleged distress allegedly experienced by Nicholas Sandmann and his family after the Covington incident which was tested in the courts and duly chucked out.

Not the winning argument you think it is, as Sandmann has had to pursue his cases with legal and media headwinds, despite quite clearly being portrayed in a dishonest manner and vilified by the press, as evidenced by people as far away as Australia still stubbornly clinging to a clearly false depiction of him.

cyberdad wrote:
No free rides for Alex Jones (and BTW he and Infowars are worth $160m so he's hardly bankrupt so he can pay for the mess and trauma he's unnecessarily created).

That's like saying you can't complain about being shot if you didn't die, he's still being singled out for persecution in a way that other journalists who have caused greater harms are not, even if he may be able to afford to pay the judgments. I'm not even disputing that he lied and it caused harm, I'm pointing out that he's far from the only one, and the difference in treatment tells us something about the media and power structures in this country.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 5:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:24 pm

Alex Jones is a despicable character just because he accused the parents of those children killed in Sandy Hook of being liars.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:35 pm

The media is certainly more honest and accurate in reporting on Mr. Jones than Mr. Jones is about reporting on himself.

Remember, this thread is about Mr. Jones -- not the media, not the media fact-checkers, not the Gulf Wars, not journalists, and certainly not about some members’ favorite conspiracy theories.

The evidence has proven, in court, that Mr. Jones has lied about Sandy Hook, the victims, and the victims’ families. He is a victim of his own villainy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:45 pm

Just suppose....your daughter died in a shooting....and this guy comes along and says the shooting didn't happen?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 7:17 pm

Quote:
That's like saying you can't complain about being shot if you didn't die, he's still being singled out for persecution in a way that other journalists who have caused greater harms are not, even if he may be able to afford to pay the judgments. I'm not even disputing that he lied and it caused harm, I'm pointing out that he's far from the only one, and the difference in treatment tells us something about the media and power structures in this country.

Claiming that this sorry excuse for a human being is a victim of persecution is utterly absurd.

Just because others haven’t faced justice doesn’t mean that he shouldn’t. That’s an incredibly bizarre stance to take. You could make similar claims about people who are, rightfully, punished for any sort of criminal activity. Ideally, all criminals would be appropriately punished, but even though some aren’t, I’m okay with the ones who are.

Jones behavior was abominable. With that being said, I do understand that people have all sorts of…interesting beliefs and stances. Some of those people may be on WP. Expecting to change such opinions, could be unrealistic. Perhaps it would be better to ignore them and continue on as usual. It’s not like such regressive ideas will appeal to most people anyway.