Anyone here live where it’s worth buying a house?

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 2:39 pm

By the end of the 2022, Mississippi may be the only state one can afford.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 3:08 pm

IOW any place decent is unaffordable to all but the financially talented.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm

The last week has yielded some exciting conversations about how to reduce income taxes/get a high return and then use a couple different first time
Home buyer programs with a high enough down payment to avoid mortgage insurance costs etc etc - it is possible that in less than a year from now I’ll take a 14.5h drive to a city cheap enough that I can afford to buy places & buy one or two. The extra exciting part is that based on how the first to homebuyer programs work, it’s possible to use them again every 4 years or so.. which would accelerate how quickly someone could afford to buy more properties if that’s the goal.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 10:09 pm

Hmm - there's a possibility I might move within a few months.. definitely cannot afford to buy in this area, but might still get creative to keep my cost of housing as minimal as possible. If I can find an entire house to rent with a separate suite, maybe I'll just rent the whole place, live in the smaller suite, and sublet the rest of the place. Hmmmmmm - might be a possible reality that let's me rent a place for a more reasonable cost.

Things are so nuts here there's no way I can even qualify to buy an old condo - even if I could scrape together a six figure down payment. Buuut renting a whole house & subletting the rest of it that I don't need.. THAT is much more feasible.

Time, circumstances, and availability of places to rent all dictate the outcome. And no, I'm not being evicted from where I'm living lol.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 10:15 pm

i wish i was born with that kind of entrepreneurial gene set.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:24 pm

It's not official on paper yet, but chances are approaching 100% that I'll be moving about a 15-20 minute drive away from where I live now. Might rent a basement suite, might rent a whole house if it has rent-able suites - and then I get to pick whoever else lives in the house AND kick them tFo if I don't want them there anymore. Could be preferable to living in a basement suite below the landlord - depending on the landlord. Or with some other random tenants that aren't great neighbours. I guess it depends on what's available the moment I need to rent a place where I need to move to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:54 pm

^^^you're movin' up in the world. :wtg:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 11:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^you're movin' up in the world. :wtg:

Something like that.. but I’d say more like being called up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 9:46 pm

wish somebody or something would "call ME up." :|

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 1:48 am

auntblabby wrote:

Even if it meant sacrificing time and doing work?

I'm not moving to gain space or upgrade to something more luxurious. While not official yet, it's as good as a done deal - I'm moving to live with one of my 14yo God son's so he can finish high school where he's at.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 2:23 am

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm not moving to gain space or upgrade to something more luxurious. While not official yet, it's as good as a done deal - I'm moving to live with one of my 14yo God son's so he can finish high school where he's at.

so you're going to be a legal adult guardian?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 12:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

so you're going to be a legal adult guardian?

Something like that. There are a few different options that range from him remaining in Ministry care to someone having full custody of him and some sort of family agreement thing or whatever. I don't Know all the details just yet but I Think that he will remain in Ministry care where they have legal guardianship of him and I essentially act as Foster Parent (even though I'm blood related.) - that way it's not instantly a permanent commitment (not too worried about that) and more importantly, AFAIK, under that type of on paper arrangement they pay for WAY MORE of the cost of his living - rent, insulin, clothing, groceries etc & if all other things are about equal with the exception of paperwork, I say let them pay for everything they will pay for.

Should have further details over the next week or two - I know that's the timeline they want him to be moving within. May have to move to my Winter home where I'm house sitting and then rent a place after that/as I find an ideal one within walking distance of the high school.