Anyone here live where it’s worth buying a house?

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:02 pm

Is it expensive on parts of Vancouver Island an hour away from Vancouver?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:09 pm

Yes ^ .

My beau is from Vancouver and wants to move back. It's not worth it imo.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
In scenic areas you make more renting out as a vacation rental.
Places here book solid during the tourist season.

That’s a part of why we’re the second least affordable real estate market In The World - only behind Hong Kong.

It’s very scenic here and tons of locals have been evicted in order for owners to Airbnb places, often illegally as there are local rules about length of stays and licences/permits etc.

Then there are some doing it on a different scale.. I know one guy who moved out of his place for a couple weeks and into his parents place because he rented his house out for 14 nights for $20k or something like that. Obvi he has a $$$$$ house. (Family business = property development, mostly low rise condos.)

One of my neighbors do it to pay for the place.They rent it out part of the year as a vacation rental and then stay it when they want to.It works for them since they have another home in the city.Good way to pay for a retirement home.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:41 pm

Personally I couldn't live on the island. It's pretty but I feel trapped when I can't exit by car. The mountain views from the mainland or up toward Whistler give me claustrophobia like I'm in a bowl and I'm trapped. I need to be near the ocean with a view of the water. I like North Van but there's just no way I can see myself living there full time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is it expensive on parts of Vancouver Island an hour away from Vancouver?

It's almost as expensive as Vancouver. A bunch of people who sold out on the mainland moved there with their money. Plus foreign buyers. So it's about as expensive + an expensive ferry commute if you want to come to the mainland for anything - approximately $150 round trip. That's why I haven't bothered going to the island for over 20 years - there's nothing over there worth an extra $150 (to me) to go see or do for the day.

Mind you, my brother and his wife took their motorcycles over and rode around part of the island and then back one day last Summer - it's only $30 each way per bike.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 12:47 am

Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
In scenic areas you make more renting out as a vacation rental.
Places here book solid during the tourist season.

That’s a part of why we’re the second least affordable real estate market In The World - only behind Hong Kong.

It’s very scenic here and tons of locals have been evicted in order for owners to Airbnb places, often illegally as there are local rules about length of stays and licences/permits etc.

Then there are some doing it on a different scale.. I know one guy who moved out of his place for a couple weeks and into his parents place because he rented his house out for 14 nights for $20k or something like that. Obvi he has a $$$$$ house. (Family business = property development, mostly low rise condos.)

One of my neighbors do it to pay for the place.They rent it out part of the year as a vacation rental and then stay it when they want to.It works for them since they have another home in the city.Good way to pay for a retirement home.

Yeah, I know one guy that does this with his cabin on a lake and another that they rent out their ski mountain townhouse on airbnb enough to more than pay the bills on it. All of this is too rich for me, though - I can't afford those sorts of properties anywhere near here lol.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 12:49 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Personally I couldn't live on the island. It's pretty but I feel trapped when I can't exit by car. The mountain views from the mainland or up toward Whistler give me claustrophobia like I'm in a bowl and I'm trapped. I need to be near the ocean with a view of the water. I like North Van but there's just no way I can see myself living there full time.

Don't think I'd wanna be on the island. Nothing there for me - friends and family etc are all here on the mainland.

I like the mountains, though. And the beaches. North Van would be alright - quicker access to Squamish. But insanely expensive everywhere and I work for a living sooo.. yeah - can't afford to make any of these locations home.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 7:32 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Anyone Here Live Where It’s Worth Buying A House?
Yes. I bought a nice house for $460,000. We have basic 3 bedroom houses for $300,000 if you're content with having only one living room.
goldfish21 wrote:
Just day dreaming about buying a house somewhere else. Buying one here = ~impossible, as a typical suburban house now costs $1.5M and it’s also difficult to make positive cash flow on rent.
That sounds horrible!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 8:03 am

The most affordable parts of the US are also the most conservative.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Anyone Here Live Where It’s Worth Buying A House?
Yes. I bought a nice house for $460,000. We have basic 3 bedroom houses for $300,000 if you're content with having only one living room.
goldfish21 wrote:
Just day dreaming about buying a house somewhere else. Buying one here = ~impossible, as a typical suburban house now costs $1.5M and it’s also difficult to make positive cash flow on rent.
That sounds horrible!

Yip. Prices in Vancouver proper are forecasted to climb 12% next year to $1.9M for an average house. Nice places, mansions & luxury properties are FAR more expensive.

For $460k you can squeak into a suburban condo (and then pay condo fees) or maaaybe into an older trailer home somewhere. (and then pay pad rental.)

But for a house that’s more like a healthy down payment than the purchase price. It’s all nucking futs - which is why I’ve been thinking maybe I should buy something somewhere else and rent it out? Hmmm, maybe a little place in Panama and rent it out to some retiree for a while, then dip down there and go kiteboarding in my twilight years. 8)

Meh, who knows what I’ll do.. it’s just crazy that several tens of thousands of dollars and a slightly above average income isn’t enough money to “do anything with.” Kinda sorta. Then again, I can start following business news again and get back into stocks - make a few good moves and a year from now I could be up over 6 figures again. Make a few more good moves while saving and then maaaaybe have enough money accumulated to do something with ?? And then by that point I’ll be like F it, time is ticking, I’m gonna go back to school and go for broke lol hmmmm

Last edited by goldfish21 on 22 Dec 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 5:53 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The most affordable parts of the US are also the most conservative.

I couldn’t care less about their politics as long as they conserved enough of their paycheque to pay the rent and didn’t damage my property.

Although, I can’t say I wouldn’t favour renting to someone who’s less than privileged in their particular locale.

But yeah, business is business, you can have a trump shrine in your living room for all I give a crap. Just pay your rent and don’t wreck the place lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 10:07 pm

the fact that affordable places are rightie places is akin to a fly in the ointment, a continuing irritation at best.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 11:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the fact that affordable places are rightie places is akin to a fly in the ointment, a continuing irritation at best.

Yeaaah, but there's a certain amount of joy in owning their homes and collecting their rent money, no? :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 1:00 am

Just a little zigzag graphical representation of what we're dealing with in Canada:

And that's nationwide. Meanwhile, I live in The Hottest market where if we had our own chart the gap would be even wider.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 1:14 am

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yeaaah, but there's a certain amount of joy in owning their homes and collecting their rent money, no? :P

i'd be worried about having to fight them for the rent money.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 1:15 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Just a little zigzag graphical representation of what we're dealing with in Canada:

And that's nationwide. Meanwhile, I live in The Hottest market where if we had our own chart the gap would be even wider.

are there spots in canada where they are desperate for people to move to?