Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:46 pm

For most of recent history, the President of the U.S. has been dubbed the “leader of the free world.”

However, during Trump’s presidency, Angela Merkel held the title. With both Trump and Merkel out of office, who holds the title now?

Many people would say Biden, out of tradition. However, the Supreme Court is considering at least diluting Roe v. Wade, and many states have passed voting restrictions. While not of Biden’s doing, we are still now the land of the not-so-free.

As for Germany, Olaf Scholz has not been chancellor long enough for us to make an assessment.

My guess would be Biden, Trudeau, Macron, Rutte or Draghi. Any other contenders?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:55 pm

If officially a position it will be the antichrist. You have to live in America to believe your ex presidents had so much power because they didn't really. Only to those who live in the USA. China and Russia had more power in comparison. Russia by land mass and China by people numbers and the number of businesses and companies around the world that they own, and when it comes to owning companies, India is not far behind.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 9:08 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
If officially a position it will be the antichrist. You have to live in America to believe your ex presidents had so much power because they didn't really. Only to those who live in the USA. China and Russia had more power in comparison. Russia by land mass and China by people numbers and the number of businesses and companies around the world that they own, and when it comes to owning companies, India is not far behind.

From an American perspective: Leader of the Free World is some tongue-in-cheek made-up term. There's no official leader of the "Free World." However, what the "Free World" more correctly refers to is the First World. Communist and post-Communist countries are the Second World, developing nations are the Third World.

So, Russia, China, and India don't really fit into the equation in the first place. I would argue that America is the largest, most populous, and most influential country within the First World. That's still an accurate statement, not patriotic grandstanding. The leader of America, by default, is the leader of the largest and most politically influential country in the First World, regardless of who he (or she) is.

Where did Angela Merkel come from? LOL

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 9:19 pm

The EU is not exactly a free state because the head of the EU is not an elected position. One could say it is a form of dictatorship (?) but has democratic elections in each of its regions (Countries) to elect people to help make decisions via a vote. It is a wierd mix. Different from the UK and the USA where the leader is a voted in position, so while Merkyl who was the EU leader was in a very powerful position, under your classification it would not have been a first world leadership?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 9:39 pm

I was under the impression the Prime Minister of the UK was elected by parliament, though the MPs are elected. The people don't vote for the PM directly, unless I'm wrong. Then again, in the US, people vote at the state level, then the states vote for president depending on number of electoral votes.

Regardless, that's not what I was getting at. The EU isn't really a sovereign nation in its own right, though it acts as a supra-state or confederacy. But it's more of a Union of sovereign countries. Most of the EU policies affect the member states, not a whole lot to do with foreign affairs unless it relates to immediate EU neighbors or imports/exports. Still, if it came to military action, like, serious military action, I think things would fall apart. If Germany wants to go to war with some non-First World country, and Belgium disagrees, and Spain agrees in principal but doesn't want to commit any troops, the EU would probably disintegrate.

I was talking about countries on the individual level. With the South China Sea, China doesn't care what Denmark has to say. Vladimir Putin in Russia is indifferent to Ireland's stance on anything. In terms of influence and concern and even labeling someone as the bad guy, non-First World Countries still see America as the most dominant or the most likely to "try something," or the rallying point. Whoever happens to be leading America is the "leader" so to speak.

And First World nations are all allied...USA, Canada, Australia/New Zealand, pretty much all of Western Europe and now Central Europe. And much of Latin America (although some of these countries may have Third World status). So, there's no real threat among ourselves of warfare or invasion.

It's really First World (aka "Free World) vs. diplomacy with the Second and Third World countries. Yes, America by default is still the largest, most populous, most dominant in how the outside world interacts with the "Free World." The actual leaders themselves are somewhat irrelevant, just that the POTUS is also, by default, head of the most influential First World country.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 9:50 pm

Personally to me it would be closer to someone like Jerome Powell because he has way more power over the world's daily life and America's Daily life than Trump or Biden.But I think Biden is the puppet "Leader of the Free World" but I would think Jerome Powell would be the actual world leader since he controls the FED.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 9:51 pm

I don't think there is a free world. It seems rather a contradiction in terms that a free society would have an authority figure telling people what they could and couldn't do.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 10:30 pm

Biden held a "Summit for Democracy" a couple weeks ago. Here's the invite list. Hungary appears to be the only European country not invited that wasn't part of the USSR. I suppose he has to do this owing to the demands of global politics, but arbitrarily deciding which countries are and are not democratic leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not usually a big critic of Biden though but he's been in this game a long time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 1:36 am

We all know it has been, and continues to be.... Oprah!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 2:06 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

The US is more powerful than china or russia. And china and russia are not considered to be part of the "free world" anyway.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 2:41 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I was under the impression the Prime Minister of the UK was elected by parliament, though the MPs are elected. The people don't vote for the PM directly, unless I'm wrong. Then again, in the US, people vote at the state level, then the states vote for president depending on number of electoral votes.

Regardless, that's not what I was getting at. The EU isn't really a sovereign nation in its own right, though it acts as a supra-state or confederacy. But it's more of a Union of sovereign countries. Most of the EU policies affect the member states, not a whole lot to do with foreign affairs unless it relates to immediate EU neighbors or imports/exports. Still, if it came to military action, like, serious military action, I think things would fall apart. If Germany wants to go to war with some non-First World country, and Belgium disagrees, and Spain agrees in principal but doesn't want to commit any troops, the EU would probably disintegrate.

I was talking about countries on the individual level. With the South China Sea, China doesn't care what Denmark has to say. Vladimir Putin in Russia is indifferent to Ireland's stance on anything. In terms of influence and concern and even labeling someone as the bad guy, non-First World Countries still see America as the most dominant or the most likely to "try something," or the rallying point. Whoever happens to be leading America is the "leader" so to speak.

And First World nations are all allied...USA, Canada, Australia/New Zealand, pretty much all of Western Europe and now Central Europe. And much of Latin America (although some of these countries may have Third World status). So, there's no real threat among ourselves of warfare or invasion.

It's really First World (aka "Free World) vs. diplomacy with the Second and Third World countries. Yes, America by default is still the largest, most populous, most dominant in how the outside world interacts with the "Free World." The actual leaders themselves are somewhat irrelevant, just that the POTUS is also, by default, head of the most influential First World country.

Pretty much this.

The US is the biggest power so as a nation its the natural leader of the "first world" (aka "free" world -whether it deserves that adjective or not).

Every POTUS from FDR on embraced the responsibility of leading the nation that led the first world. Trump refused to step up to the bat, in favor of returning to pre WWII style Isolationism. Even tried to dismantle our alliances. Biden is just returning America to post WWII Normalcy. But because the disruption caused by Trump Biden has to make a show out of how "America is back", and has to stage a "summit for Democracy". Gotta do what you gotta do.