what do you think about militaries using killer robots?

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 2:24 am

I'm thinking they might go on a killing spree with faulty information given to them

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 3:09 am

I remember watching Terminator commericals as a kid and hoping it would never come to that in real life but sadly it might.Like Terminator in real life was my worst nightmare as kid although idk if its a serious threat.I hope the American military has the highest number of deadly robots and the deadliest robots if it comes to that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 4:38 am

Drones are essentially flying robots.

Robot infantrymen, and self driving tanks, are a logical next step on the battlefield.

Not saying that thats good or bad, just that it is probably going that way.

Why killer robots would be worse than killer humans is not obvious to me.

Would rather have machines kill machines than humans kill humans.

If youre worried about "collateral damage" and deaths to civilians then thats always been an issue in warfare.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 4:53 am

Watch iRobot with Will Smith

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 5:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Robot infantrymen, and self driving tanks, are a logical next step on the battlefield.

If youre worried about "collateral damage" and deaths to civilians then thats always been an issue in warfare.

well maybe killer robots would be worse because they could shoot full-power battle rifle rounds like the 7.62x51 NATO in 3 round bursts and full-auto instead of modern soldiers with assault rifles having a range of 300 to 500 yards because the 7.62 X 51 NATO could have a close to 1000 yard range.Thats my theory.Regardless the robots could have more ammo in the field especially if it was assault rifle ammo like the 7.62x39mm or the 5.56x45 NATO.Also killer robots would prolly be better shots than infantry soldiers perhaps.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 9:08 am

What do you think about children using assault weapons?

I think they are likely to go on killing sprees due to faulty information they find on-line.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 9:13 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

well maybe killer robots would be worse because they could shoot full-power battle rifle rounds like the 7.62x51 NATO in 3 round bursts and full-auto instead of modern soldiers with assault rifles having a range of 300 to 500 yards because the 7.62 X 51 NATO could have a close to 1000 yard range.Thats my theory.Regardless the robots could have more ammo in the field especially if it was assault rifle ammo like the 7.62x39mm or the 5.56x45 NATO.Also killer robots would prolly be better shots than infantry soldiers perhaps.

Which point are you making?

Are you saying robot soldiers would be good idea because they would be more effective than human soldiers?

Or are you saying that they would be a bad idea because they would be more effective than human soldiers?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 9:19 am

Nice puppy-wuppy!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 10:00 am

Before people start complaining about armed robots, they should do something about armed schoolchildren.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 10:19 am

My current research projects all involve making the materials needed for specialized computer chips. Those nanochips would be needed to make such devices work at a faster and smaller level. Think drones smaller than a gnat for example as a long term goal. It is just us copying nature in a way if you look at malaria spreading insects. What the powers to be do with it after the build is not up to me to say. I like to make life interesting for everyone, including myself. I am well aware of the Pandora’s box that I am potentially opening.

As always: Go Skynet!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 10:35 am

Will the warbots be able to distinguish between an enemy soldier with a rifle and an old woman with a broom?

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 10:41 am

Fnord wrote:
Will the warbots be able to distinguish between an enemy soldier with a rifle and an old woman with a broom?

Well, one British Police officer mistook a blind man's white stick for a weapon. We have to hope they don't get him doing the programming!

Note to all: My user ID doesn't mean I'm going to explode at you it just means that I may contain...a different kind of thunder.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 10:46 am

Fnord wrote:

It's not like the human soldiers bother with that. They just label the dead as enemy combatants or terrorists regardless.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 11:02 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's not like the human soldiers bother with that. They just label the dead as enemy combatants or terrorists regardless.
Excuse me?  Military veteran here!  We most certainly do try to make the distinction!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 12:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Watch iRobot with Will Smith

Will Smith should not have made so many soldier robots.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 12:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Excuse me?  Military veteran here!  We most certainly do try to make the distinction!

I'm sure you've convinced yourself of that but that doesn't make it true. Aerial bombing campaigns aren't known for their ability to discriminate between civilians and enemy combatants. When the decision is made to drop bombs civilian casualties are bound to be inflicted and are consistently underestimated by the Pentagon's own admission.

If they're trying, they're not trying hard enough because their efforts are indistinguishable from no effort at all.

The New York Times has recently been reporting on this but their reporting only confirms what was already known because earlier reporting had already confirmed it. (Thanks to Chelsea Manning's leaks)

https://www.nytimes.com/spotlight/the-c ... 1_BlueLink