Personality Type & Risk Of Being Perpetually Single

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm

I believe that there is a link between personality types and your risk of being perpetually single. Certain personalities or personality types may contribute to someone struggling in the dating department, although this isn't true for everyone. For instance, high extroversion, high agreeableness, high empathy, and/or high risk-taking are positively correlated with dating success since people with these traits tend to be more likeable and popular in general. People who have higher levels of social skills and higher levels of empathy are perceived as more warm and friendly and tend to have more friends and this may contribute to dating success as well. In fact, having a good personality may help average or even below average looking men compensate for their appearance and still be romantically successful. Almost everyone knows someone who is physically not very attractive, but is very funny and charming and as a result, manages to find love or hookups.

However, the opposite is true for opposite personality types. Those who are shy, introverted, and low risk-takers may struggle in the dating department and are at greater risk of being perpetually single. Shyness and introversion seems to be more of a handicap for males since men are expected to be the pursuers and initiators. In addition, poor social skills, a low social IQ, a low emotional IQ, and/or an unlikeable personality also likely contribute and may be a reason why some people just can't seem to find a romantic partner.

From the Big 5 Personality Traits there are certain personality types that are more likely to struggle with dating compared to others. For instance, those with the personality profile of low extroversion, low agreeableness, and high neuroticism, are at greater risk of struggling with dating. Others may perceive them as cold, standoffish, anti-social, or even mean-spirited, which hurts their chances of making friends and finding love. In fact, many hardcore incels fit this personality profile. On the other hand, those with high extroversion, high agreeableness, and low neuroticism, have the "golden personality". Those with the golden personality typically have an easy times making friends and finding romantic partners isn't to difficult for those with this personality profile.

As for the Myers Briggs Personality Type those with thinker and/or introverted letters are more likely to struggle with dating compared to their extroverted and feeler counterparts.

So what do you think? Do you think there is a correlation between personality type/profile and romantic or sexual success?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 6:27 am

I think it is better to look at what you desire and what you are adverse to, which can change over time. Personality Types seem to be favored by people afraid of really knowing themselves. They offer a fixed, narrow idea of being. And if we expect fixed, narrow partners we may find ourselves in a series of dissolving relationships. Or perpetually single.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 6:50 am

I think my type of ENTJ would be one of the more successful types because JR Ewing and Gordon Gekko would good with the ladies since they are the type most likely to make the most money and some of them are billionaires.Although the relationships prolly would not last because of infidelity and growing apart and mo money mo problems.But if i was a woman wants the best financial life possible for their kids I would pick a ENTJ spouse but most people cant take ENTJ personalities so its kind of a paradox.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 10:01 am

Another thing I would like to add is masking. Autistic people who can mask better, or come off as less autistic, tend to be more more likely to be romantically and socially successful.

Some people are not going to like this answer but one reason is because people who appear "special needs" are usually not perceived as romantic or sexual options, especially to normies.

Another reason is because those who look like slobs, or look like your stereotypical neckbeard, will be judged as unfit romantic or sexual partners.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 10:14 am

Muse933277 wrote:
... Some people are not going to like this answer but one reason is because people who appear "special needs" are usually not perceived as romantic or sexual options, especially to normies.
These are things that (usually) cannot be helped.  Some people can (and possibly should) work to overcome their disabilities, while others might be better off to resign themselves to living solitary lives.
Muse933277 wrote:
Another reason is because those who look like slobs, or look like your stereotypical neckbeard, will be judged as unfit romantic or sexual partners.
These are things that CAN be improved upon.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2021, 9:26 am

Fnord wrote:
Muse933277 wrote:
... Some people are not going to like this answer but one reason is because people who appear "special needs" are usually not perceived as romantic or sexual options, especially to normies.
These are things that (usually) cannot be helped.  Some people can (and possibly should) work to overcome their disabilities, while others might be better off to resign themselves to living solitary lives.
Muse933277 wrote:
These are things that CAN be improved upon.
While I do agree that it is good to work on improving yourself, you should not have to change everything you can about yourself & put on a mask & put on an act in order to get & keep a romantic partner. There is a 3rd option disableds can try. They can try to find ways to compensate for their disabilities & seek out potential partners who might would be more understanding, accepting or at least tolerant of their disabilities. Like instead of going for normal non-disabled NTs, they could look for partners who have some similar disabilities & challenges as themselves. They can try to figure out what their relationship strengths, talents, skills, & personalities are like & try to find partners who would be more appreciative & in need of them even if those partners are in the minority. Neckbeards & slobs could look for women who are not stereotypically physically attractive & fashionable. Different people can find very different things attractive sometimes. But even if noone finds you initially attractive, some might be very willing to overlook that if they are lonely & have less options for a relationship. Love might could develop over time as you get to know each other better even if you weren't very attracted to each other at 1st. That's what worked for me. BTW I mean You in the general sense.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 4:01 pm

Personality certainly plays a role.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:09 pm

I was actually a "neckbeard" for a brief time when I was 24. I literally had a beard that I rarely trimmed.

Yet....still....I still did okay with the ladies.

I wouldn't have been able to play video games in my basement------because there were very few home video games in 1985, and because I never had a basement.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 11:26 pm

Well, my personality is on the opposite end of the Narcissistic Spectrum (there's a healthy level of such that most have), so I've always had trouble getting across how I feel to others because I feel what I want isn't important, I'll put others before myself or if I feel like I'll be a burden in any way, I'll run away (since I'm disabled, I kinda see myself as a walking burden); my high levels of empathy are mostly used to help others, which is sorta hilarious when you factor in Autism. "Echoist". I know it now, and I guess that's the first step in working with it. There's a lot more to it than just this, but the above are some of the reasons why people with such can struggle in forming relations.

Personality along with disability are mostly everything IMO. Looks can get looks and make it easier to get those superficial things, but that's only useful if you want superficial things (that one ain't me).

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 10:12 pm

bump

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 12:43 am

I'm so different from everybody else, that I can't really see myself being in a relationship with anyone, unless the other person is really into war or they really like the 1940s. Oh well, a man can dream.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 12:50 am

This is potentially classified as a personality trait which can affect one's success with dating.

The ability to be open minded when it comes to dating different kinds of partners. Those who are open minded are more likely to find romantic partners due to their lower levels of pickiness.

Because one thing that contributes to some people being chronically single is having unrealistic standards based on their individual strengths and weaknesses. For example, if a 4/10 slightly overweight nerd with questionable social skills and a deep obsession for anything nerdy, were to exclusively pursue 8/10 party girls who are in a sorority and have never touched a video game in their life, then he would likely get rejected by everyone.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 4:52 am

This is a nice thread.

Yet those who keep complaining that "We should have more personality focused threads rather than looks" don't show any interest in personality related threads :lol:.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Mar 2023, 5:05 am

Muse933277 wrote:
This is potentially classified as a personality trait which can affect one's success with dating.

The ability to be open minded when it comes to dating different kinds of partners. Those who are open minded are more likely to find romantic partners due to their lower levels of pickiness.

Because one thing that contributes to some people being chronically single is having unrealistic standards based on their individual strengths and weaknesses. For example, if a 4/10 slightly overweight nerd with questionable social skills and a deep obsession for anything nerdy, were to exclusively pursue 8/10 party girls who are in a sorority and have never touched a video game in their life, then he would likely get rejected by everyone.
I noticed that myself. Some of the biggest complainers about being chronically single on WP have very high standards for a partner. Their standards may seem reasonable for most normal non-disabled people but someone who is generally seen as having lots of so-called issues & problems & acts very desperate for a relationship might have much better luck if their standards are more relaxed & less judgemental. You should have some standards but your standards should be reasonable for someone in your predicament. The key to happiness in life is to have lower more reasonable standards. However it also helps to try & improve your situation & to find ways to overcome, workaround, or compensate for you issues & problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 9:18 am

This is how much personality and values can have an impact on your ability to date.

I had a friend all throughout my teenage and early adult years who dated many women. He wasn't very attractive, wasn't particularly bright because he was in the special education program, and wasn't really smart enough to go to college either. Despite this, he had many girlfriends throughout the time that I was friends with him. Ages 13-22

Why? Because he had several personality traits going for him:

1. He was friendly and outgoing and didn't struggle with making friends. He wasn't a loner by any means and had a group of buddies that he sat with at the lunch table. This means he was fairly good at making friends and connections with people which translated to dating somewhat.

2. He was a risk-taker. When I saw a girl, I was too afraid to talk to her and asking her out never even crossed my mind. But my friend on the other hand, if he saw a girl he was attracted to, he didn't hesitate and almost always went for it. Sure he got rejected frequently but it didn't seem to phase him and you knew that he was going to try again with a different woman.

3. He had low standards. He wasn't afraid to date plain or even conventionally unattractive women and to be honest, the majority of his girlfriends were not very attractive, but he never seemed to mind. A lot of guys only want pretty girls but my friend was more open minded so this gave him more dating opportunities as a result.