Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 9:19 am

I just don't know what to do some days. I don't know if it's my skin or my nerves; but, no matter what I'm wearing, Im always having pain or irritation on what seems like my skin but there's nothing noticeable on my skin that would explain the pain. And it's not just my clothes but I'll be sitting on my dad's chair or the couch and if my shirt is rolled up a little bit in the back and my skin touches the fabric of the furniture it is very uncomfortable and feels painful on my skin and it never seems to go away. But like today i just wore pajama shorts and a sports bra and any of my back that was open and wasn't covered by clothing was okay. So, I don't know if it's how my nerves are out of whack and that's what's making the pain because I've been to the neurologist, before and I didn't have peripheral neuropathy so I'm wondering if there's something else because I also have a lot of tingling in my hands and feet and drop things a lot. And when I went to the neurologist the last time they did these nerve tests on me because of the tingling, and they all came back normal. And I also get hot so easily all the time I just want to stop having to deal with these things.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 9:46 am

This seems serious.  Have you tried different materials?  When my eczema was at its worst, parachute silk was the only material I could tolerate.  As the rashes abated, unbleached and unblended cotton worked well.

Have you had an allergy screening?  Dust and dust mites are common allergens.  In fact, dust in homes is composed of about 20% to 50% dead skin cells (both human and animal).  This could be what causes the itchies whenever you come in contact with furniture where other people have sat.

What you could be reacting to is household dust; and if that is the case, then you can take steps to mitigate your exposure -- forced-air HEPA filters, for one.  Cleaning out the central heating ducts is another.

What kinds of soap are you using?  I have to use glycerin-based soaps and shampoos.  My laundry soap is an unscented liquid, and I set the washer to provide an extra rinse cycle.

The mineral content of your water may be a factor when showering or bathing.  Hard water leaves residue on your skin -- it may not leave a rash, but it could give you the itchies.

I hope this helps.

:D

Last edited by Fnord on 22 Dec 2021, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 9:46 am

Just a thought. When I was going through the last burnout (Breakdown? Not sure what it was and I have yet to be assessed) I found I needed to wear dark glasses for driving, and this was during the winter as everything was a bit much. The glasses helped relax me.
Yet several months later I rarely used them or needed them. I have since had an EEG and they asked if they could test if I was sensitive to light. They asked me and I said that I didn't know. When they tested me around two months ago, they found that I was not sensitive to light. But going back to during and in the months just after having the burnout or breakdown I needed to wear the dark glasses.

I reacon that during times of stress things happen to us which we are not normally sensitive to. Mind you, I have always had certain areas of my body which are extra sensitive which is why I tend to pull labels off my clothes and prefer wearing half worn out clothes for comfort.
Some of my clothes have a clothes tag as I try them first but not many. Only outer clothes normally keep their tags.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 9:51 am

Something Fnord said.

Soaps, washing powders or liquids... My Mum cant buy many brands because of how it effects me and my brothers.

Often too much chlorine in the tap water causes me issues here where I delay having baths or showers to make life moee tollarable. Yet if I go to others areas where they put less chlorine in and I am ok. It even effects washing cups and plates in tap water etc., and often we can tell when they add more chlorine as in the mornings we can turn the tap on and pure chlorine gas comes out for a few seconds. The smell is enough to knock us out!

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 10:12 am

What I’ve noticed is that even without the tags when the threading comes apart inside the clothing it really makes it uncomfortable for me. And it’s like the fabric of the inside of one of my sweatshirts also causes me that pain I usually change up to 5 to 6 times a day. I feel like this isn’t normal and I did read something about small fiber neuropathy and I’m wondering if that’s also a possibility.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 10:17 am

I was also diagnosed with autism in December of 2020 and I went and saw a rheumatologist for fibromyalgia but the rheumatologist did test and turns out I don’t have fibromyalgia and she suggested that maybe it has something to do with my nerves and that’s why I’m wondering if it could be small fiber neuropathy since I didn’t meet the criteria for peripheral neuropathy.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 10:21 am

And when I went to the neurologist I hadn’t officially been diagnosed with autism yet. So, I’m wondering if I went back and told them that I’ve been diagnosed with autism if they would do different tests.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 10:24 am

christinejarvis21 wrote:
And when I went to the neurologist I hadn’t officially been diagnosed with autism yet. So, I’m wondering if I went back and told them that I’ve been diagnosed with autism if they would do different tests.
This seems worth a try.  Easily-overwhelmed senses do seem to be part of the package.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 10:50 am

True. But I do wonder if it could also be small fiber neuropathy too or if it’s just the autism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 10:52 am

christinejarvis21 wrote:
True. But I do wonder if it could also be small fiber neuropathy too or if it’s just the autism.
Check with your doctors, and do not let them brush you off.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 10:54 am

I have fibromyalgia/allodynia/neuropathy (possible small fiber), and this sounds VERY familiar. Definitely talk to your GP/PCP about this and possibly get a referral to a rheumatologist or another neurologist. I'm in the process of doing the same because my motor skills and grip have worsened. Have you been tested for small fiber neuropathy?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 10:59 am

No I’ve never been tested. And I remember even as a kid not wanting to wear certain things because of how it felt on my skin. And I saw a rheumatologist and they had checked me out and said I didn’t have fibromyalgia but that was it they didn’t check me out for anything else.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 11:00 am

You have to insist on being tested for what YOU suspect.  Even if the tests come back negative, you can at least eliminate doubt.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 11:11 am

christinejarvis21 wrote:
No I’ve never been tested. And I remember even as a kid not wanting to wear certain things because of how it felt on my skin. And I saw a rheumatologist and they had checked me out and said I didn’t have fibromyalgia but that was it they didn’t check me out for anything else.

I would do some research on your own, talk with others with similar symptoms, and come up with a testing plan that you want carried out. Your doctors work for YOU, not the other way around. I agree with Fnord about insisting on testing. I think a good start would be finding someone who will test for SFN.

I can understand how it can be confusing when sensory issues play such a HUGE part in our autistic lives.

Side question (that is related): Are you a migraine sufferer?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2021, 11:27 am

What kind of doctor does test for small fiber neuropathy?

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2021, 11:42 am

christinejarvis21 wrote:
What kind of doctor does test for small fiber neuropathy?

Typically a neurologist, but not all neurologists will test for it or specialize in it. I would inquire before making an appointment.