Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SaraGrahamCookies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2021, 10:48 am

Hello everyone, I am new here, and I recently started a job the job is a work at home job and we go through a training before they allow us to work with the public. Anyway for the past couple of weeks or so everyone seems to be friends, they talk to each other in chat and even exchanged phone numbers. I thought working at home would be better as I wouldn't have to worry about my awkward body language and lack of eye contact etc. But it turns out no matter where I work I am still an outsider.

Whenever I ask questions I am completely ignored, I can ask the question over and over again and no one will reply to me. Yet when someone else asks the same exact question as me they get several replies....I don't know what I did wrong to make everyone dislike me so, I tired being friendly I even helped some people when I knew the answer to their questions but they can't show me the same curtsey I suppose.

I am not being dramatic either I will post actual pictures blurring out everyone's name of course of me being ignored if need be.

Even when everyone was getting to know each other I was being excluded, they would say so where are you from (insert names here)....
I'm tiring to figure out ways to get people to like me, I had a similar issue at my last job and the way this keeps happening its definitely something wrong I am doing that makes people want to pretend I'm a ghost.

Anyway else deal with being ignored at work?? :( I don't know if this helps I am in my 20s and the ages of the people go from 18 to 40 plus.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:48 am

Hello, i also experienced this to the point i am now completely immune to this behavior.

I wish i had some other advice to give, but think of it like this: you and those people have one common point and that is you work for the same company. Therefore, if they are ignoring your work related questions because of their personal dislike for you it is Unprofessional and disruptive for the work place.

I also try to not ask questions to people much because if i do it so much they ignore me or think i am lazy or irresponsible even though i REALLY want to finish the job and that is why i am asking.

I have no intentions to annoy anyone, in fact i am not even emotionally involved with anyone in the workplace and any drama/whatever. If they can't comprehend the fact that i am asking these questions because of work, i have nothing else i can do.

jadedpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2021, 2:37 pm

Hello Sara,
That's really strange. I would suggest maybe no one knows the answer but you said other people have asked the same questions and got answers :| Did they phrase it differently in any way? Did they already know people from the company before they joined perhaps?

Do you have a direct manager at work? Maybe they can give some insight into the office politics. Either way, it would be good to bring it up since it's gonna be hard to get work done remotely if text messages go unanswered.

Another suggestion, is there anyone doing a very similar job to yours? Can you ask them directly in a private message? Often a question in a public chat goes unanswered due to the Bystander Effect where people think "someone else will answer" but if someone gets a question directly, they know it is their sole responsibility to help, or at least make an attempt.

This also makes me think maybe the other people messaged people directly and made friends that way, without you even knowing. Since in person socializing doesn't happen these days, it can be totally invisible. At my last job, after everything went online, we had a new guy join and he set up 1:1 chats privately with his team to get to know people.

Either way, it's still very unhelpful of them to completely ignore a new employee! They should at the very least give you some pointers of who to go to with your questions.

arianekh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2022, 5:11 am

Snap. I've experienced that, to the point where I check my zoom to make sure I'm not on mute and people can actually hear me. I'm in my 30s, so older and have had more jobs, but it's a pattern. I've also had the range running from ignoring to actively excluding.

I don't think there is a single problem, I think there are many. I also think that it can happen to aspergers, but also NTs and also women. It happens in new jobs a lot, you can get through it by copying people, or "masking" or "camouflaging" and studying how to get through small talk. You can make some connections with a small number of people and it will get better in time. But then you'll come up against the next hurdle where they see you, they hear you, they don't ignore you, but then they move to actively disliking you! That's worse. So my current strategy is to not try too hard, to connect with a small number of people and stay quiet the rest of the time. So do please post back any tips you find have worked!

https://psychology-tools.com/