More traditional vaccine options may become available soon

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 12:36 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohe ... in-the-us/

Quote:
The Novavax’s Covid-19 vaccine candidate, named Covovax, could be the first approved in the U.S. to rely on a traditional, tried-and-true inoculation method. Its protein-based Covid-19 vaccine employs what’s called recombinant nanoparticle technology, distinguishing it from mRNA and viral vector vaccines.

The purified protein, or protein subunit approach which Novavax used to develop its vaccine has been deployed in other vaccines that have been on the market for several decades. The Hepatitis B vaccine, for example, is a subunit agent.

But, the subunit type of vaccine is not the only “traditional” vaccine. In fact, when people speak of traditional vaccines with long histories they’re referencing a slew of types, from killed and inactivated, to live attenuated, to protein subunit.

An inactivated vaccine consists of virus particles, bacteria, or other pathogens that have been grown in culture and then killed to destroy disease producing capacity. Live vaccines use a weakened (or attenuated) form of the germ that causes a disease. Unlike live attenuated or an inactivated vaccine, a subunit vaccine contains purified parts of the pathogen that are antigenic, or necessary to elicit a protective immune response.

The polio vaccine is a typical example of an inactivated vaccine, as is the combination diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine. The combination measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine is a live attenuated agent. Influenza vaccines can be both inactivated and live attenuated.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 1:05 pm

I wouldn't/won't have any of the current vaccines. They are all highly dangerous in my view.

Plant-based vaccines are on the horizon. I'm not talking about anything religious here or 'woo' - I mean scientifically created, more 'natural' plant-based vaccines.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7754927/

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Dec 2021, 1:38 pm

Being plant-based does not make it safe - there's a lot of 100% natural plant-produced poisons in the natural world.
Let's face it - Nature isn't safe.
Testing for safety needs to be done for every substance the same way.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 1:46 pm

If there was a Covid vaccine that caused people to act and live their lives as if the vaccine actually worked, I'd consider it as an option - if it turned out my natural immunity since having Covid wasn't strong enough to deal with any dangerous new variants (should there be any).

Until then, I think I'll pass on taking anything that apparently leaves you more terrified than ever whilst blaming everyone who is vax-free for its' failings.